Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old March 24 2012, 06:01 AM   #31
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

Re: F1 2012 Championship Thread

practice 3 for malayasia just started.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 08:44 AM   #32
MacLeod
Admiral

Almost time for qual.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2012, 11:52 PM   #33
MacLeod
Admiral

Well it's another McLaren front row lock out. With the Red Bulls still struggling somewhat for pace. Though qualification is differant from a race.

But perhaps Red Bull have had their period at the top for now, and it's swung back to McLaren.

We've seen it many times over the decades, where one team is more dominant than the others for a while before a new more dominat team comes along.

Ah well at least the race is a little more reasonable this time. 09:00 BST (I believe).
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old March 25 2012, 12:45 AM   #34
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

No sympathy for Red Bull here. They ruined the championship battle last year with their insufferable "child prodigy" ("YABBA DABBA DEE RING DINGA DING DING DING DING" – enough said), so it's only fair that a proper team like McLaren gets a shot at winning it for a change.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 10:06 AM   #35
MacLeod
Admiral

To be fair to Red Bull it was little different from the era of Ferrari and Michael's dominance.
Old March 25 2012, 10:47 AM   #36
Lonemagpie
Writer

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Well it's another McLaren front row lock out. With the Red Bulls still struggling somewhat for pace. Though qualification is differant from a race.
Not last year it wasn't - with Vettel and RB concentrating on qualifying on pole so he could then just pull away and cruise round without actually *racing* as such. We still don't know, really, how good a racer he is when he has to overtake and stuff, cos he's only had to do it about twice.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2012, 12:00 PM   #37
MacLeod
Admiral

Well that was a bit unexpected a Ferrari win, from the snippets of the team radio it sounded as if the McLaren's couldn't get heat into the tyres. Though the pitstops didn't help them.

Just a shame Perez didn't manage to overtake Alonso.
Old March 25 2012, 03:03 PM   #38
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

What an unexpected result!

Very disappointed as a McLaren fan – though to be fair, despite them not looking as dominant in pace as expected today, I still think a McLaren 1-2 could have been possible if it wasn't for their terrible pit stops ruining the race for Lewis, or that hopeless HRT getting in the way of JB (the collision itself was definitely Jenson's fault, but given that Karthikeyan didn't have even the slightest chance of keeping that position, he shouldn't have even been anywhere near the racing line with a McLaren breathing down his neck, regardless of whether he had the right to be there or not, though he seems to have a habit of getting in the way even when he's being lapped) – but it certainly made for some thrilling viewing.

Lots of exciting stuff happening all over the field (especially from Senna, Di Resta, Vergne and Ricciardo – and even Massa gave us a few good moments despite generally having a dismal race), and Perez chasing Alonso had me on the edge of my seat (it would have been nice if he'd actually got past, though, so we'd get to see a win from something other than a Ferrari, McLaren or Red Bull).

Schumacher and Grosjean were disappointing as well, but on the plus side, at least Red Bull weren't on the podium, and McLaren still look good for the rest of the season (they clearly have a good car and the right drivers for it, though they might want to replace some of their mechanics and strategists).

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999

Last edited by Geckothan; March 25 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old March 25 2012, 11:22 PM   #39
MacLeod
Admiral

I think M cLaren have had some bad luck so far this season. With poor pitstops, safety cars erc... However the other teams have not really been able to take huge advantage of this.

At the moment it's still looking as if the Ferrari is still possibly at best the fourth best car behind the Lotus or Mercedes. I think it is Alonso who is out performing the car.

I think given a dry race with no safety car at the moment the McLaren's would be pulling away from the rest of the field bit by bit.
Old March 25 2012, 11:53 PM   #40
Lonemagpie
Writer

Alonso winning- urgh.

For once there was a bright side to this "extended highlights" crap - the BBC could just jut ditch the stoppage time and say "hey, we cut out 50 minutes" - cos a long red-flag is a pain in the ass to watch live, as we may remember from Canada last year...

Old March 27 2012, 11:31 PM   #41
MacLeod
Admiral

Still it was wrth the wait to see Vettel make a mistake on the last lap
Old March 28 2012, 02:25 PM   #42
Lonemagpie
Writer

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Still it was wrth the wait to see Vettel make a mistake on the last lap
oddly enough, just as he did in Canada last year- looks like red flags are poison to the Red Bulls

Old March 28 2012, 04:44 PM   #43
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Apart from the one near the end of Monaco last year that basically handed the win to Vettel and completely ruined the race! I remember Pirelli were pushing for a ban on tyre changes during red flags after that, but I guess they didn't get very far with it.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Old March 29 2012, 12:44 AM   #44
Lonemagpie
Writer

Geckothan wrote: View Post
Apart from the one near the end of Monaco last year that basically handed the win to Vettel and completely ruined the race! I remember Pirelli were pushing for a ban on tyre changes during red flags after that, but I guess they didn't get very far with it.
Ah, yes...

Well, two out of three ain't bad!

Old March 29 2012, 09:33 PM   #45
MacLeod
Admiral

The only thing they should be allowed to replace during red flag periods is race damage. I.e. nose cones etc...

As for Tyres they should only be allowed to be changed for climatic conditions.