Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 10 2011, 11:11 PM   #1
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Did the accent Marina Sirtis used as Troi...

... give rise to the impression she was a poor actor? Sirtis had dropped the accent by the time of the movies, where I actually liked her performances for the first time. Was it her odd accent that made it seem she couldn't act?
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Did the accent Marina Sirtis used as Troi...

They told Marina she had to fake a new accent (when TNG started) because she is British IRL and they didn't want two Brit accents on the bridge. So they told her to make one up. Apparently it took her awhile to get the right fake accent....

As for her acting ability? Even the best fake accent can't mask bad acting, and the worst fake one wouldn't hurt good acting. So I guess it's either way with her.
Old December 10 2011, 11:27 PM   #3
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

Her accent also didn't have anything to do with her being a poorly written character.
Old December 10 2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ That too. As with most purely scientific Trek characters, Troi got better when they gave her non-science stuff to do.

And of course the reason why there was such a thing as a "ship's counselor" to begin with was because Gene Roddenberry was all four wheels off the road (with the mealymouthed psychobabble) by the time TNG started.

That being said: One thing Marina did absolutely HILARIOUSLY with fake accents was in "Timescape" when she was imitating Dr. Mizan hitting on her.

Old December 10 2011, 11:36 PM   #5
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I always figured Deanna Troi had a Betazoid accent.

Marina used to speak naturally with a London East End accent. . .

. . . but she’s sounding a lot more mid-Atlantic these days. Probably from hanging around with Yanks for so long.

Old December 11 2011, 12:24 AM   #6
Dukhat
Commodore

What I can't understand is just where Deanna Troi got her accent in the first place. Her mother has an American English accent. So did her father. So did pretty much every Betazoid we ever saw. It's one thing if the writers went out of their way to point out that she grew up or spent the majority of her life in an area of Betazed where the locals had that kind of accent, but they never did.
Old December 11 2011, 12:35 AM   #7
CaptainJack
Lieutenant Commander

I remember either "thinking" or "hearing" when the show first started that it was supposed to be the betazoid accent. Thats how they all were supposed to talk. And then once they started introducing Betazoid characters and NONE of them had that accent, I just never noticed...
Thinking back on it. I'm pretty sure the character has a speach impediment.
CaptainJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Or maybe when Deanna was first posted to the ship, she was so overwhelmed by the thoughts of the crew that she started imitating their various accents and couldn't decide how she wanted to sound.
Old December 11 2011, 02:02 AM   #9
Worf'sParmach
Commander

The Dominion wrote: View Post
Her accent also didn't have anything to do with her being a poorly written character.
I think this is the real issue. When they put some clothes on her and gave her interesting things to do she wasn't bad.
Old December 11 2011, 04:22 AM   #10
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Her accent in the first season sounded at times like a slight speech impediment.
Old December 11 2011, 07:16 AM   #11
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Accent??? I didn't hear a word she said in that second interview Scotpens posted.
Old December 11 2011, 07:27 AM   #12
DataLoreSpock
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to DataLoreSpock

At first,I believed that Troi's accent was meant to be Betazoid accent. Then we met her mother and she did not have that style of accent. Then when Troi'smother mentioned that she had obviously taken her father's accent I thought that that was the reason for her accent. Then her voice became less like that particular accent. Well, I wonder why they did not have a special Betazoid accent. There was a distinct emphasis put upon Betazoid customs. Oh well.
DataLoreSpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2011, 07:34 AM   #13
scotpens
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Accent??? I didn't hear a word she said in that second interview Scotpens posted.
I can think of two reasons for that.
Old December 11 2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

DataLoreSpock wrote: View Post
At first,I believed that Troi's accent was meant to be Betazoid accent.
It was. At one point, Betazoids were going to have either elaborate forehead makeup (but they preferred to avoid putting beautiful women under too much forehead stuff - ie. Terry Farrell as Jadzia Dax did one screen test in a latex forehead!) or, believe it or not, three breasts. DC Fontana asked Roddenberry if the breasts would be horizontal across Troi's chest or vertical. According to an interview I did with Bjo Trimble, before "Encounter at Farpoint" aired, the producers had decided "to portray Troi's alienness through gesture and voice".

At the point where Sirtis developed her unique Betazoid accent, based a little on her own Greek upbringing, there was no idea who would be playing her parents one day. It was Majel Barrett's idea to play Mrs Troi as "Aunty Mame", complete with brash American voice. At conventions, over the next few years, the production staff started to suggest, when asked, that Troi's perhaps-Greek accent (and surname) "probably came from her human father's side". At that point, no one knew that they'd ever write or cast "Dark Page". He turned out to have neither Deanna's accent nor Sirstis's Greek heritage.

I think one of the novels speculated that Mr Troi had followed Betazoid tradition and taken his Betazoid surname from Lwaxana when they were married. (Hence, also, the "Mr Troi" line to Will Riker in "Nemesis".)

Remember, also, the original concept for Troi was a willowy blonde. That's why Denise Crosby was screen tested. Away Team leader, the compact, brunette Macha Hernandez, the original template for Yar, was originally described as a "Jeanette Goldstein-type from Aliens", and Marina Sirtis was the top contender.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2011, 08:48 AM   #15
zar
Captain

Troi's real voice was never heard. She doesn't speak English. Her accent suddenly changed because Picard got sick of the old one and tweaked the settings on the universal translator.
zar is offline   Reply With Quote