RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,575
Posts: 5,423,617
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 463
Newest member: toaster

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 12 2011, 04:39 AM   #46
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

You can tell by looking at it - it's too simplistic a design. They didn't revise it for Phase II/TMP because of in-story requirements; the refit storyline was created to permit a redesign.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 04:42 AM   #47
Birdog
Commander
 
Birdog's Avatar
 
Location: Birdog
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
You can tell by looking at it - it's too simplistic a design. They didn't revise it for Phase II/TMP because of in-story requirements; the refit storyline was created to permit a redesign.
You can add a lot of visual interest to it without making huge changes like the TMP redesign or the JJ-Trek ship. Deg and Vektor? have both done it very well on this board.
Birdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 04:46 AM   #48
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

I like both of their variations. Neither is adequate for a big screen movie. You can add all the detail you want to the thing and the silhouette, the balance of the parts and the overall plainness of it remain.

People who like the TOS ship are sentimentally attached to it. People who are not sentimentally attached to Star Trek are the people that Paramount needs to intrigue.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 05:28 AM   #49
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

WWI Flying Ace wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
You can tell by looking at it - it's too simplistic a design. They didn't revise it for Phase II/TMP because of in-story requirements; the refit storyline was created to permit a redesign.
You can add a lot of visual interest to it without making huge changes like the TMP redesign or the JJ-Trek ship. Deg and Vektor? have both done it very well on this board.
Yep.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 06:21 AM   #50
Birdog
Commander
 
Birdog's Avatar
 
Location: Birdog
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Neither is adequate for a big screen movie.

Really?

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
You can add all the detail you want to the thing and the silhouette, the balance of the parts and the overall plainness of it remain.
Some of the most iconic scifi ships from the movies are plain shapes from afar. The ISD from Star Wars. The Discovery from 2001. The Death Star. How much more plain can you get than a giant ball?
Birdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 06:51 AM   #51
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

WWI Flying Ace wrote: View Post
Some of the most iconic scifi ships from the movies are plain shapes from afar. The ISD from Star Wars. The Discovery from 2001. The Death Star. How much more plain can you get than a giant ball?
The surface of each of these ships (ISD, Discovery, Death Star) is anything but smooth. Making the surface of the TOS Enterprise as jagged as these three ships implies a modification to the design of at least some sort. If you're not talking about making the surface of the TOS Enterprise rough, then a comparison to these three ships is pointless.

If the surface of the TOS Enterprise is rough, then to a purist that's not a "faithful" version of the ship.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 07:03 AM   #52
LordSarvain
Lieutenant Commander
 
LordSarvain's Avatar
 
Location: Las Vegas
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

WWI Flying Ace wrote: View Post
The Death Star. How much more plain can you get than a giant ball?
What?! You insult my mother?!
LordSarvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 07:23 AM   #53
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I like both of their variations. Neither is adequate for a big screen movie. You can add all the detail you want to the thing and the silhouette, the balance of the parts and the overall plainness of it remain.
It's a military vessel, plain is part of the motif.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 07:25 AM   #54
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

As for improvements...

Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 07:30 AM   #55
YARN
Fleet Captain
 
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

Comet and Cupid wrote: View Post
The surface of each of these ships (ISD, Discovery, Death Star) is anything but smooth. Making the surface of the TOS Enterprise as jagged as these three ships implies a modification to the design of at least some sort.
That's kind of what deg did. It looks awesome. He didn't do a lot - just enough to give a more finished/mechanical look.

Comet and Cupid wrote: View Post
If you're not talking about making the surface of the TOS Enterprise rough, then a comparison to these three ships is pointless.

Even simpler than the shape of the Enterprise are the arguments against putting that shape on the big screen.


Well, it's a simple shape.

Well, those Star Wars were simple shapes with complicated surfaces, you know.


When they were designing the Big E for TMP, there were some execs who were convinced that the only way you could sell the scale of the Enterprise was to add a million greebles to the surface of the ship - after all that's what Star Wars did so successfully. Instead, what we got was one the most beautiful spaceships ever put on the big screen.

More importantly, people who have seen TOS-R on the big screen have reported that the original Enterprise looks great on the big screen. One such person has posted in this thread.

Comet and Cupid wrote: View Post
If the surface of the TOS Enterprise is rough, then to a purist that's not a "faithful" version of the ship.
Really? The surface of the refit is smooth and it is just as beloved, if not more so, than the TV version.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 07:38 AM   #56
pengbuzz
Guest
 
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
As for improvements...


Reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8B1GNCSfX0

Yeah, it's probably been posted here already, but I don't care!! It's STILL funny!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 07:44 AM   #57
CorporalCaptain
Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

YARN wrote: View Post
Comet and Cupid wrote: View Post
The surface of each of these ships (ISD, Discovery, Death Star) is anything but smooth. Making the surface of the TOS Enterprise as jagged as these three ships implies a modification to the design of at least some sort.
That's kind of what deg did. It looks awesome. He didn't do a lot - just enough to give a more finished/mechanical look.

Comet and Cupid wrote: View Post
If you're not talking about making the surface of the TOS Enterprise rough, then a comparison to these three ships is pointless.

Even simpler than the shape of the Enterprise are the arguments against putting that shape on the big screen.


Well, it's a simple shape.

Well, those Star Wars were simple shapes with complicated surfaces, you know.


When they were designing the Big E for TMP, there were some execs who were convinced that the only way you could sell the scale of the Enterprise was to add a million greebles to the surface of the ship - after all that's what Star Wars did so successfully. Instead, what we got was one the most beautiful spaceships ever put on the big screen.

More importantly, people who have seen TOS-R on the big screen have reported that the original Enterprise looks great on the big screen. One such person has posted in this thread.

Comet and Cupid wrote: View Post
If the surface of the TOS Enterprise is rough, then to a purist that's not a "faithful" version of the ship.
Really? The surface of the refit is smooth and it is just as beloved, if not more so, than the TV version.
Nothing in my post implies that I believe the surface of a movie ship must be rough. I simply observed that a purist's TOS Enterprise has a smooth surface and the ISD et al. have rough surfaces. Therefore, comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. Period.
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 08:12 AM   #58
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

I'm rather fond of this one...

Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 08:28 AM   #59
Ranger3
Lieutenant
 
Location: Beyond the outer rim...
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

While the version in Abrams' prequel/reboot was good, I have to say that both Lord Garth's and Legion's versions were better.

Either one of the two would have been great in the 2009 film.
Ranger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2011, 08:49 AM   #60
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: The Improving the JJprise thread

YARN wrote: View Post

Really? The surface of the refit is smooth and it is just as beloved, if not more so, than the TV version.
Smooth? yes. But there is a shit ton more detail than the TOS Enterprise.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.