Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 6 2011, 05:37 AM   #1
22 Stars
Commodore

Del Toro OUT of Trek film

http://trekmovie.com/2011/12/05/brea...role-spoilers/

That's a shame. Hope they find as good an actor to fill the role.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Hythlodeus
Commander

Re: Del Toro OUT of Trek film

A pity!
Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 12:46 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Trekmovie.com wrote:
It was just last Friday when JJ Abrams denied a report that Del Toro would be playing the role of Khan Noonien Singh, telling HitFix that report was "not true." With news that Del Toro is no longer in the running, Abrams denial could be read a different way. And in fact, Vulture is reporting from "a highly placed source" that Khan is indeed the villain in the Star Trek sequel. These reports have still not been confirmed and so should still be considered rumor.
My guess is that Khan will be the mentor of Kirk's Klingon rival, puppeting the Klingon Empire from the shadows, having been found and thawed by the Klingons a while after the Kelvin was destroyed.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Peter Q Taggart
Lieutenant Junior Grade

How about Antonio Banderas?
Peter Q Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

That guy from Heroes could have made a good Khan - if only he could act...
Old December 6 2011, 07:37 PM   #6
22 Stars
Commodore

^ oh yeah, I called him Snore-hinder...

Though Naveen Andrews would be good!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 10:38 PM   #7
Trekkie2
Commander

A second remake of Khan is all they can come up with? That's it? If this movie is a Khan remake, it could come out in 2016 for all I care. I won't be seeing it.
Trekkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 11:00 PM   #8
Hythlodeus
Commander

it.
won't.
be.
khan!

I'll betting my two firstborns and their mother that Khan will not appear in this movie!
Old December 6 2011, 11:01 PM   #9
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

It won't be Wrath of Khan, folks. The actors are too young yet. Maybe Space Seed.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 11:08 PM   #10
23skidoo
Admiral

Trekkie2 wrote: View Post
A second remake of Khan is all they can come up with? That's it? If this movie is a Khan remake, it could come out in 2016 for all I care. I won't be seeing it.
While I wouldn't go that far, I will say I will be very disappointed in the writers if it ends up being Khan, whether Space Seed or Wrath of, doesn't matter. Next we'll hear Trek 13 will feature Trelane, 14 will feature the Tribbles, and the rest of the films will feature Harry Mudd.

New villains, people - not rehashes.

Having said all that, if they do cast a new Khan whoever the pick should be a powerful, preferably Hispanic actor (the character isn't Hispanic, of course, but Montalban made such a mark that having, say, a Brit play the role just wouldn't feel right). Edward James Olmos actually comes immediately to mind, especially if this ends up being an older Khan. Banderas is too much a light-character actor - I like him a lot but I'd have trouble accepting the guy from Spy Kids and Puss n Boots as Khan. Bardem is still a possibility if the Bond film is wrapped in time.

Of course if everything I just said about the character being Hispanic is thrown out and the doors are open wide, then one name comes to mind: Ian McShane! But ONLY if he plays Khan in full Al Swearingen mode, of course!

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 12:25 AM   #11
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'd be open to another Khan movie if they could come up with a REALLY cool, alternative take on the idea.... but that would be such a huge challenge I'm not sure even Nicholas Meyer could do it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 12:41 AM   #12
Gojira
Commodore

Peter Q Taggart wrote: View Post
How about Antonio Banderas?
I would be alright with him playing Khan.
Old December 7 2011, 12:55 AM   #13
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

"Pray for mercy... from Kahn..."
Old December 7 2011, 01:04 AM   #14
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

23skidoo wrote: View Post
While I wouldn't go that far, I will say I will be very disappointed in the writers if it ends up being Khan, whether Space Seed or Wrath of, doesn't matter. Next we'll hear Trek 13 will feature Trelane, 14 will feature the Tribbles, and the rest of the films will feature Harry Mudd.

Having said all that, if they do cast a new Khan whoever the pick should be a powerful, preferably Hispanic actor (the character isn't Hispanic, of course, but Montalban made such a mark that having, say, a Brit play the role just wouldn't feel right). Edward James Olmos actually comes immediately to mind, especially if this ends up being an older Khan. Banderas is too much a light-character actor - I like him a lot but I'd have trouble accepting the guy from Spy Kids and Puss n Boots as Khan. Bardem is still a possibility if the Bond film is wrapped in time.

Of course if everything I just said about the character being Hispanic is thrown out and the doors are open wide, then one name comes to mind: Ian McShane! But ONLY if he plays Khan in full Al Swearingen mode, of course!

Alex
I don't get this whole Hispanic actor thing people have going on just because Montalban was Hispanic. . . Why not a really hot, award-winning Indian actor from bollywood? Especially given that Paramount wants overseas box office numbers. . . A billion plus Indians and South Asians. . . who happen to spend more money on movies than Americans. . . yeah, Paramount would be smart to tap that. . . and considering that Khan is Sikh, it would make much more sense than casting a Hispanic in the role. . . this is not the 1960s. . .we can do better than painting Puerto Ricans actors brown for Klingons and casting Hispanics as Indians. . .

~FS
Old December 7 2011, 01:06 AM   #15
Hythlodeus
Commander

FarStrider wrote: View Post
23skidoo wrote: View Post

Alex
I don't get this whole Hispanic actor thing people have going on just because Montalban was Hispanic. . . Why not a really hot, award-winning Indian actor from bollywood? Especially given that Paramount wants overseas box office numbers. . . A billion plus Indians and South Asians. . . who happen to spend more money on movies than Americans. . . yeah, Paramount would be smart to tap that. . . and considering that Khan is Sikh, it would make much more sense than casting a Hispanic in the role. . . this is not the 1960s. . .we can do better than painting Puerto Ricans actors brown for Klingons and casting Hispanics as Indians. . .

~FS
So...are you suggesting Shah Rukh Khan for Khan?