Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 8 2011, 02:43 AM   #31
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Mythbusters cannonball hits Dublin home and minivan

The report I heard was they were testing something about whether other items shot from a cannon are more effective than a cannonball. Presumably the firing of an actual cannonball was a control test. Some control.

The thing that puzzles me - so there was a couple sleeping in the bedroom the cannonball passed through? When were they firing off this cannon? I can't imagine they'd have even considered doing this at night or early in the morning for noise bylaw reasons if nothing else. Weird.

I hope the show doesn't get cancelled or some silly stuff like that due to an accident. I don't think it will because no one was hurt. The fact no one was hurt means we're free to laugh at what honestly sounds like a scenario from a Laurel & Hardy film or a Road Runner cartoon made real. If someone had been hurt, then that would be a different story and I'd bet Discovery would probably right now be ordering up extra episodes of Dirty Jobs.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 02:48 AM   #32
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ This happened in the middle of the afternoon.
Old December 8 2011, 03:05 AM   #33
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
A *win* isn't guaranteed of course, but as we all know - with a good lawyer, one can sue anybody, at any time, for anything, for any reason.
The phrase Fed. R. Civ. P. 11 comes to mind. As well as MPRE 3.1. I suspect that Mythbusters will pay making this all moot, but your statement in the abstract is unequivocally wrong.
Old December 8 2011, 03:27 AM   #34
Christopher
Writer

According to the article I linked to just five posts ago, the Discovery Channel has apparently agreed to pay for the damage.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 03:57 AM   #35
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Apparently?

I did see that they were "settling" over it. But what's to settle? Either they pay or they don't. What is there to haggle over?
Old December 8 2011, 05:02 AM   #36
davejames
Vice Admiral

This is the most in-depth article I've found so far. Despite Adam and Jaime visiting the site, it was actually Kari, Tory and Grant that were at the range testing the myth. Apparently it was going to lead up to firing the cannon at a castle wall.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...ll-2376113.php
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 05:09 AM   #37
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Jinglebell JaRock wrote: View Post
The phrase Fed. R. Civ. P. 11 comes to mind. As well as MPRE 3.1.
? I know there has to be a joke I'm missing in that...
Old December 8 2011, 05:14 AM   #38
Christopher
Writer

You know, this proves what my father always said: "Context is everything." If the cannonball had done the same thing, but in such a way that it hadn't done any damage to private property or potentially endangered life and limb, we and the Mythbusters alike would surely agree that it was downright awesome.

And apparently the incident happened during a calibration of the cannon to test its power before taking it to a more remote location for the real experiment. So it would be easy enough to leave that part out of the episode but still show the experiment. They may wait a while, though, to allow things to cool down.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 05:28 AM   #39
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well if it wasn't for hitting the house, it's doubtful they even would have FOUND the cannonball after the crazy trajectory it took.

Another little thing I just noticed: Grant, Tory and Kari were showing pics of themselves next to the cannon and cracking jokes about it yesterday on Twitter (yeah, I admit, I follow them), and now those pics have all been removed. I'm guessing all the dumb "ball" jokes aren't looking so good now in retrospect. lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 05:34 AM   #40
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
No joke, those are just the rules where lawyers get sanctioned, disciplined, and disbarred for doing exactly what MLB claimed a good lawyer can always get away with it.
Old December 8 2011, 05:38 AM   #41
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

So how exactly is the recompense going to be handled here? Will Mythbusters/Discovery pay for the repairs directly, or do the homeowners have to file a claim with their own insurance company which will then be reimbursed by Mythbusters?

If the latter, you know the homeowners' premiums are going to go up, since that's what happens when you file a claim. That's not very fair, is it? Shouldn't Mythbusters pay for it all directly out of their own pocket, since it was all their fault?

And while I can't speak for these homeowners, it would not be much consolation to me if the guys on the show just said "Sorry" for nearly destroying my home.
Old December 8 2011, 05:47 AM   #42
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
My first thought was "What were the Mythbusters doing in Ireland?"

My second thought was "Wait, they fired a cannonball near San Francisco and it landed in Ireland?!!"

All thoughts following the second were disappointing.
I thought the same, it seemed a right irony tall tale that calls for the Mythbusters.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 06:03 AM   #43
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
No joke, those are just the rules where lawyers get sanctioned, disciplined, and disbarred for doing exactly what MLB claimed a good lawyer can always get away with it.
Oh, I see...I missed that reference. Thanks for explaining.

Anyway...here's something I don't get about what happened here. Maybe someone knows the regulations for these situations.

At least to me, it seems like if you're going to an artillery range to fire something, that you should be required to use a range with more room than the maximum range at which your weapon could still cause injury (which would mean firing it at maximum force at 0 degrees inclination). Either this common-sense regulation doesn't exist (which it ought to), or the Mythbusters didn't know the range and power of their own damn weapon.

Either of those options seem like really dumb things to have happened.
Old December 8 2011, 07:49 AM   #44
Pavonis
Commodore

Why are people being so hard on the Mythbusters and the Discovery team? The Mythbusters on-air talent were supervised by experts. If the experts didn't expect this situation, why should the hosts of the TV show? Precautions were taken, regulations were followed. It was just a highly improbable occurrence. No one got hurt. Damages will be repaired and paid for...why all the second-guessing? It's happened to the team before, it just didn't get publicized as widely.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 07:52 AM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Pavonis wrote: View Post
No one got hurt.
Barely. People *could* have been hurt or even killed. It was pure luck that no one was.

Damages will be repaired and paid for...
But like I said, exactly how will this happen? If Mythbusters/Discovery flat-out pays for the whole thing out of their own pocket, then that's OK, I guess (assuming the repair process doesn't take too long and result in too much inconvenience to the homeowners). No need to get the homeowners' own insurance company involved - if they do, then their premiums will go up, and that's not fair. Accident though this may have been, it was still Mythbusters' fault.