Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 7 2011, 06:40 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Mythbusters cannonball hits Dublin home and minivan

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
I heard on one news report that they were testing something having to do with how well a pool of water can absorb the impact of a cannonball.
That might explain the choice of venue, since they didn't intend the cannonball to travel any substantial distance.

The question there is why they'd use a "homemade" (or rather shopmade) cannon for the test instead of something more conventional. But I do recall one cannon that the junior team built for one myth and then reused in a later myth, so maybe they brought that one out again.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 07:19 PM   #17
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I wonder if this family will sue.

Assuming that Discovery/Mythbusters' OWN insurance takes care of all this (rather than the homeowner's insurance), that may be predicated on the condition that the family does not sue. I am obviously not a lawyer though so I don't know the legal issues involved in all of this. If the show's insurance makes good, could the family still sue anyway?

I sincerely hope the family's own insurance isn't going to have to pay for this, since the family would have a hell of a time trying to explain it to them over the phone. And given how insurance companies tend to act, they might have even denied the claim and tried to blame the family for living near a bomb range.

That being said, I do have more questions:

- Exactly what myth were they trying to bust?

- How the hell does the cannonball manage to bounce UP A FLIGHT OF STAIRS and then exit the house so cleanly and with enough velocity?

- The whole family was asleep...at 4:15 PM?

And I would be very surprised if this episode ever airs. At the very least I would expect them to just start the whole thing over again and not involve this family at all (although it would be nice if Adam and Jamie made an immediate on air apology).
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; December 7 2011 at 07:40 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
- How the hell does the cannonball manage to bounce UP A FLIGHT OF STAIRS and then exit the house so cleanly and with enough velocity?
Sounds like a job for Mythbusters.

What?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 07:45 PM   #19
RevDMV
Rear Admiral

I live neat the area, kids have played baseball at the park down the street. The houses in the area area all very recent construction.

Based on the layout of the range I'm surprised that they would fire in the direction it took for the projectile to hit a house. A more northerly shot would have to travel a long distance to get near anyone.
Old December 7 2011, 09:44 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

RevDMV wrote: View Post
Based on the layout of the range I'm surprised that they would fire in the direction it took for the projectile to hit a house.
They probably didn't. Remember, it bounced off a hillside, so that would've changed its trajectory.

Old December 7 2011, 10:20 PM   #21
Forbin
Admiral

Bank shot FTW!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 11:18 PM   #22
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, surprised that they didn't test it in their normal testing areas, like the desert where there's room for things to go wrong like that.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 11:36 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

The Alameda County Sheriff's bomb range is one of their normal testing areas. They blow a ton of stuff up there, and in their recent "Location, Location, Location" clip episode, I believe they named it as their #1 favorite location for the show.

Old December 8 2011, 12:10 AM   #24
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, sorry, I should have said one of their other wider open areas. Sounds like it didn't have enough clearance for the type of experiment they were doing.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 01:41 AM   #25
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Considering the nature of this accident (and its clearly and accident), I don't see how anyone could possibly sue the Mythbusters/Discovery and win.

They've tested in this area a million times before without incident. They obviously take as many safety precautions as possible, and they'd even tested this canon several times successfully that day. It was a fluke. A malfunction which obviously couldn't have been predicted by anyone, even the county sheriff who's job it is to check these things.

Yes, it was incredibly dangerous, but thankfully no one was hurt and there was only property damage.

I'm more worried about them not showing it on TV
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 01:56 AM   #26
davejames
Vice Admiral

Something tells me we won't be seeing anymore cannonball myths on the show for a while...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 02:03 AM   #27
Lieut. Arex
Fleet Captain

This just proves the old Mythbusters axiom: "Failure is always an option."
Lieut. Arex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 02:10 AM   #28
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

davejames wrote: View Post
Something tells me we won't be seeing anymore cannonball myths on the show for a while...
I doubt it. Other myths they've done in the past have gone wildly out of control causing some level of disturbance or damage to nearby areas and the Mythbusters and Discovery just made nice and took care of things. I suspect the same will happen here as it seemed to be more of a fluke than it did to be out of any kind of negligence or lack of precaution on the part of the Mythbusters or the bomb-range/wherever they were.

I doubt we'll see any of this in the show, however, much like we didn't find out why they were banned from an area due to a similar incident until a recent compilation show.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 02:19 AM   #29
Christopher
Writer

Dac wrote: View Post
Considering the nature of this accident (and its clearly and accident), I don't see how anyone could possibly sue the Mythbusters/Discovery and win.

They've tested in this area a million times before without incident. They obviously take as many safety precautions as possible, and they'd even tested this canon several times successfully that day. It was a fluke. A malfunction which obviously couldn't have been predicted by anyone, even the county sheriff who's job it is to check these things.
Right. From the article:
"Crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy," said Sgt. J.D. Nelson, a spokesman for the Alameda County Sheriff's Department. "You wouldn't think it was possible."
Of course J.D. Nelson is a familiar name to Mythbusters fans. He's one of the stalwarts who've enabled the Mythbusters to experiment safely with explosives for many years. He's an expert at this, so if he says it was insanely improbable, that means nobody could've predicted it. It was a freak mishap that occurred despite all reasonable precautions.

By the way, here's an update on the event:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...y-channel.html

Highlights:
The science experiment gone wrong started with a theory: Could an object fired from a cannon carry the same speed and impact as a cannonball?
When the homemade cannon was lit, the steel ball “hit an odd trajectory off the hill and sent the cannon[ball] skyward,” said Sgt. J.D. Nelson.
The network has apparently agreed to pay the property owners for the damage.
The Alameda County Sheriff’s Department has suspended all activity at the bomb range except for routine operations.
Also it seems this was a Kari/Grant/Tory experiment, which means I might've been right about what cannon they were using. And it looks like the water barrels were being used to measure impact, and that the cannonball that went awry was a control that other objects would be compared against.

Old December 8 2011, 02:26 AM   #30
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Dac wrote: View Post
A *win* isn't guaranteed of course, but as we all know - with a good lawyer, one can sue anybody, at any time, for anything, for any reason.

As for why the family would want to sue? Don't know. If...IF...Mythbusters does the honorable thing and pays for all the damage so the family doesn't have to dip into their own insurance, I guess there would be no need to sue.

Trekker, you say this has happened before? And in those cases, Mythbusters has always paid for it? If that's true, I suppose they can be counted on to do it here as well. But just how certain is this? Can they be trusted not to welch on their responsibility?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote