RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 577
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 24 2012, 10:25 PM   #16
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: "24" movie moving forward

Now Jack Bauer can travel over a larger area. He gets on a plane and time jumps forward and real time could start again.
Old January 24 2012, 10:51 PM   #17
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

So...Tony Scott was going to direct?

Shame. He's one great director. Top Gun...Days of Thunder...Unstoppable...True Romance....

Hm...I wonder: would Quentin Tarantino be interested? Because tings like "moral ambiguity" and "revenge" are right up his alley....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Wereghost
Commodore

I wonder if they'll take an all-or-nothing approach and kill off Bauer. Better to burn out than fade away, as they say. Anyway, given the tendency to fast-forward between seasons, he should be pushing fifty or so by the end of Day Eight.
Old January 25 2012, 08:08 PM   #19
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
So...Tony Scott was going to direct?

Shame. He's one great director. Top Gun...Days of Thunder...Unstoppable...True Romance....

Hm...I wonder: would Quentin Tarantino be interested? Because tings like "moral ambiguity" and "revenge" are right up his alley....
I could see Scott doing a 24 movie, on the basis of entries on his CV like Man On Fire or Crimson Tide. And we might have got Val Kilmer or Mickey Rourke as baddies!

Much as I love QT, I don't see him doing a 24 movie, nor do I think he'd be right for it. For one thing, I think he'd want to do his own stylistic take on it. He's said that he wouldn't do a comic strip adaptation, as he'd have to make the character his own and would just piss off purists. So I can't see him making a 24 movie without radically changing the formula. Can you imagine Jack Bauer discussing pop culture or lots of close-up shots of Chloe's feet?

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
I wonder if they'll take an all-or-nothing approach and kill off Bauer. Better to burn out than fade away, as they say. Anyway, given the tendency to fast-forward between seasons, he should be pushing fifty or so by the end of Day Eight.
As regards Jack's age, I think the writers have said something along the lines of he is always whatever age Keifer is. So, for example, in season 1 (first airing in November 2001), Keifer would have been a few months short of his 35th birthday, so Jack would have been this age too. But, as 24 fans know, the gaps between seasons were longer in 'series time' than they were in our time (most notably in between seasons 6-7, which jumped 4 years). So while Jack should have been about 50-ish by season 8 (it aired in January 2010 but I'm too lazy to work out all the gaps between the seasons in 24 time), according to the writers, he'd have been the same age as Keifer, i.e. 44.
Old March 2 2012, 07:50 PM   #20
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Kiefer Sutherland reveals 24 movie info to TV Guide
Old March 2 2012, 07:57 PM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Interesting. Jack in Eastern Europe? Given that the Russians were after him at the end of the series, you'd think that was the last place he'd go.

I read somewhere else that the movie will pick up 6 months after the end of Season 8.
Old March 3 2012, 11:38 PM   #22
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Europe...because that's where ALL the terror is today.

Jack should be fighting in the Middle East.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 02:38 AM   #23
Mr Light
Admiral

Ugh, please, no more Islamic terrorists.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 03:39 AM   #24
pork3
Commander

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Ugh, please, no more Islamic terrorists.
How many Islamic terrorists does it take to change a light builb?

-jamman
pork3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 07:36 AM   #25
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post

Last we saw Jack he was being chased by the Russians. I think that the open ended nature of the series finale demands that the movie pick up with that. Before Jack can fight terrorists he needs to get the Russian monkey off his back.
Old March 4 2012, 09:37 AM   #26
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Jack against the Russian president and all of the Russian security services - that would be awesome!

Yeah, it makes sense for him to go after the Russians. AFAIR, even the Russian president was involved in all the crap that went down in S8.
Old March 4 2012, 11:01 AM   #27
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post

The series ended up with Jack on the run from the US and the Russians. He's no longer an anti-terror agent, he's a fugitive. Why would he go to the middle East, where as a white man he'd stand out a mile?

Anyway, given that the UK and mainland Europe have seen terror in the form of 7/7, the Madrid bombings and other atrocities over the last decade, your point is a little misconceived.
Old March 4 2012, 01:50 PM   #28
Mr Light
Admiral

Can you really expect the movie to directly continue the Season Eight storyline, though? This movie is going to be designed to be a major blockbuster seen by the masses, not for the 9 million people still watching the show at the end of its run.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2012, 09:21 PM   #29
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I don't really, no. But just picking up in the Middle East doesn't really make a lot of sense either. You'd need to explain why he's there, just as much as you'd need to explain why he's in Eastern Europe.

All we need to know is that Jack Bauer is a former anti-terrorist agent, now on the run, who is hiding out in Eastern Europe. I don't think that's any more confusing than the backstory to, say, The Bourne Identity or Taken.
Old March 14 2012, 05:28 PM   #30
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Bump!

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/has-...g-on-24-movie/

Well, seems that there won't be a 24 movie this year, as Fox want Keifer to return to Touch for season 2 and don't want to rush it. Fair enough.

It appears from this article that writer Billy Ray had envisaged a 3-part movie story arc. Would this have encompassed an adventure in Europe and maybe Jack returning to the US to clear his name? Who knows.

The article also suggests that Antione deFuqua was being circled as director. His Tears of the Sun had shades of 24's Redemption tv movie, if you ask me (though TOTS got there first).