Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 7 2011, 08:03 PM   #61
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Peter Weller joins Star Strek Sequel cast

Spock: Captain, I do not know why there is a watermelon in that location.
Kirk: ...I'll tell you later.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2011, 08:31 PM   #62
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
EW has confirmed that Peter Weller, best known for his role in 1987′s RoboCop, has signed on for a starring role in the sequel to J.J. Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek reboot. “Of course J.J. Abrams is very tight-lipped about his projects,” said agent Todd Eisner, “but I do know that it’s a substantial role and that Peter is playing a C.E.O.
Link
Yes, but that was 25 posts ago. Everything could be different now.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 03:47 AM   #63
Trekkie2
Commander

The Festivus Toad wrote: View Post
What's keeping him from reprising his role as Paxton? He'd be pushing the upper limits of even a fictional human's lifespan and 140ish years but...
Archer was supposedly alive in ST 2009 and he would be 140ish.
Trekkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 06:34 AM   #64
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Wow, I only just saw this and I about choked!!
Old December 8 2011, 11:03 AM   #65
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Trekkie2 wrote: View Post
What's keeping him from reprising his role as Paxton? He'd be pushing the upper limits of even a fictional human's lifespan and 140ish years but...
While I'm sure he could, I doubt Archer lived all those years. He did the most time-travelling of anyone in all of Star Trek.

I can't see an extremely old Paxton working in a Trek movie. Maybe they took a page from "The Neutral Zone" and have some 20th (probably retconned to 21st) century civilians frozen along with Khan's Augments on the SS Botany Bay?
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 06:23 PM   #66
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Devon beat me to this one but I had already come up with it on my own.

Given the writers' well-known familiarity with Trek literature, I wouldn't be surprised if Greg Cox's "Eugenics Wars" duology provided some inspiration for the next movie. Those books chronicle the "Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh" from the early '70s through 1996. Early on, Gary Seven actually served as a mentor and guiding influence to Khan, trying to restrain his instinct for world conquest, but ultimately Khan would not be tamed. Seven was the one who eventually thwarted his grandiose plans and drove him off Earth entirely aboard an experimental DY-100 sleeper ship.

My money is on Peter Weller as Gary Seven. Do a Google search for Weller and Robert Lansing (who originally played Seven) and compare the two side-by-side. I'm betting that either the first part of the next movie takes place in the 1990s to establish Khan's origins, or Seven somehow winds up traveling into the future--or simply lives that long--to help confront him when he's rediscovered.

All of this is assuming, of course, that the rumors about the main villain actually being Khan are true.
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 06:34 PM   #67
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I thought "Assignment: Earth" was an awful episode. And although I'm a huge Trek Lit fan, I haven't read Greg's Khan prequels.

But if Weller is Gary Seven, does that make Alice Eve's character Roberta Lincoln??
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 06:49 PM   #68
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Son of a gun! I hadn't thought of that but I'll bet you're right.

And Greg Cox's "Eugenics Wars" books are very good, some of the best Trek novels in recent years.
Old December 8 2011, 06:51 PM   #69
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I liked Greg's books a lot but I really don't see Gary and Roberta appearing in the movie.
Old December 8 2011, 06:51 PM   #70
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

So the Botany Bay crash lands on a jungle world. Seven and Lincoln somehow make it to the 23rd century to check it out run into Kirk and the Enterprise then the Klingons show up to make trouble.
Old December 8 2011, 07:05 PM   #71
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how the story breaks down. My first thought was a kind of prologue set during the 1990s to establish Khan's backstory, but it seems unlikely they would bother to put Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln in there as mere cameos. We know Abrams has a penchant for non-linear storytelling so maybe that time frame could be covered in a meatier way through flashbacks.

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if Seven and Lincoln wind up in the 23rd century to help deal with Khan before it's all over. Wouldn't be hard to rationalize that Seven's massive wall safe transporter was capable of transporting him through time as well as across interstellar distances.
Old December 8 2011, 07:16 PM   #72
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think it'd be tricky involving time travel again as it will look like they're simply repeating themselves. Perhaps Seven and Lincoln do show up through flashbacks. Perhaps the story will be spread over Star Trek 2013 and Star Trek 2015?
Old December 8 2011, 07:18 PM   #73
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Vektor wrote: View Post
Devon beat me to this one but I had already come up with it on my own.

Given the writers' well-known familiarity with Trek literature, I wouldn't be surprised if Greg Cox's "Eugenics Wars" duology provided some inspiration for the next movie. Those books chronicle the "Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh" from the early '70s through 1996. Early on, Gary Seven actually served as a mentor and guiding influence to Khan, trying to restrain his instinct for world conquest, but ultimately Khan would not be tamed. Seven was the one who eventually thwarted his grandiose plans and drove him off Earth entirely aboard an experimental DY-100 sleeper ship.

My money is on Peter Weller as Gary Seven. Do a Google search for Weller and Robert Lansing (who originally played Seven) and compare the two side-by-side. I'm betting that either the first part of the next movie takes place in the 1990s to establish Khan's origins, or Seven somehow winds up traveling into the future--or simply lives that long--to help confront him when he's rediscovered.

All of this is assuming, of course, that the rumors about the main villain actually being Khan are true.

OK dammit, THIS could work...
Old December 8 2011, 07:18 PM   #74
Trekkie2
Commander

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Trekkie2 wrote: View Post
While I'm sure he could, I doubt Archer lived all those years. He did the most time-travelling of anyone in all of Star Trek.

I can't see an extremely old Paxton working in a Trek movie. Maybe they took a page from "The Neutral Zone" and have some 20th (probably retconned to 21st) century civilians frozen along with Khan's Augments on the SS Botany Bay?
Scott was assigned to Delta Vega because......why?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I thought "Assignment: Earth" was an awful episode. And although I'm a huge Trek Lit fan, I haven't read Greg's Khan prequels.

But if Weller is Gary Seven, does that make Alice Eve's character Roberta Lincoln??
Awful doesn't really describe that episode. Hurts to watch, just might do it. I can't figure out why it wasn't pick up for a series.
Trekkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2011, 12:26 AM   #75
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Assignment: Earth was always one of my very favorite Star Trek episodes, and I was always pissed that it wasn't picked up for series. And I've been a big fan of Weller's since BB. The idea of Weller playing Gary 7 thrills me more than I can say.