Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 8 2011, 09:14 AM   #1
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I want Khan.

All this talk about Del Toro in, Del Toro out, or what ever flavor-of-the-week Montalban look a like finds his way into the buzz, really makes we want to see a character with so much potential in the hands of competent writers and director.

Instead of telling us about a guy who's supposed to super smart and charming, I want someone to show us.

I don't want to see a complete and utter moron who has to resort to brainwashing people with magic cockroach slug things while nerd RAGING over a person he didn't even really care about.

I don't want to see a guy who "swings around" while he paraphrases litterature cliches and twirls his mustache giving his advisories JUST enough time to pull a trite deus ex machina out of their hats.

No I don't want any of that. I want someone who's brilliant, charming, and actually fucking EVIL!

More importantly, it want it to actually be on screen.
Old December 8 2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Re: I want Khan.

Why is your view of Khan more 'legitimate' than anything we saw in TWOK? Both the episode and the movie portrayed two different, valid sides to the character: one side, cold and calculating because he was his normal self, the other side, bitter and maniacal because he'd just lived through hell.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Why would we want to see anything related to TWOK? It would be a Space Seed era Khan.

Personally, I'd rather they do something new.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 11:22 AM   #4
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

I hope it's not Khan. It's been done, and done well.

All these casting choices are making a lot of people believe it's definitely Khan. I hope not.

They have the whole galaxy as a blank canvas now -- time to Go Boldly with something new.
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Skywalker
Admiral

You know what else had been done, and done well? Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the rest of the gang. But that didn't mean they couldn't be done well again.

All this speculation and buzz about whether or not Khan is going to be the villain proves that he's the right choice.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 11:44 AM   #6
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I can't say I want Khan. It's not the way I'd prefer the sequel to go.

But IF Khan is in, that doesn't mean a good movie can't come out of it. It will still be an interesting journey to see what new spin they will give to his Prime universe story.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 12:04 PM   #7
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
You know what else had been done, and done well? Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the rest of the gang. But that didn't mean they couldn't be done well again.

The Gang were the main characters -- completely different. It was necessary to re-boot them for the story (film) itself to be possible.

The scope of Trek and its narrative potential are far greater than almost anything else that can be re-done. This isn't Batman in a one city, where he needs the Joker and the Penguin. The possibilities with Trek are endless.

Re-booting the Gang is one thing. Re-booting old villains because they can't think of something else is much different.

All this speculation and buzz about whether or not Khan is going to be the villain proves that he's the right choice.

Or, it means Khan would be the easiest way to lazily market a Star Trek film without regard to creative potential or the long-term health of the franchise.

Hopefully this crew gets to be their own gang with their own stories. They did this whole thing to do something new....well, do something new. Just my .02.
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 05:14 PM   #8
RAMA
Vice Admiral

No
Old December 8 2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
All this talk about Del Toro in, Del Toro out, or what ever flavor-of-the-week Montalban look a like finds his way into the buzz, really makes we want to see a character with so much potential in the hands of competent writers and director.

Instead of telling us about a guy who's supposed to super smart and charming, I want someone to show us.

I don't want to see a complete and utter moron who has to resort to brainwashing people with magic cockroach slug things while nerd RAGING over a person he didn't even really care about.

I don't want to see a guy who "swings around" while he paraphrases litterature cliches and twirls his mustache giving his advisories JUST enough time to pull a trite deus ex machina out of their hats.

No I don't want any of that. I want someone who's brilliant, charming, and actually fucking EVIL!

More importantly, it want it to actually be on screen.
I agree, with the exception that I thought TWOK's Khan was more EVIL! than the original "Space Seed" incarnation. I prefer the latter - someone sophisticated and charismatic enough to attract followers without resorting to constant fear and brainwashing.

I also agree that given how well Abrams and company recast Kirk, Spock and the gang and recreated Star Trek as an entertaining and successful movie I have no misgivings about them bringing back Khan - none at all.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; December 8 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Gojira
Commodore

I have no problem if Khan is in this movie. I really loved the first movie and I have no fears about the second movie. The more I hear about the casting the more excitement I have.

I am happy to finally see things moving. Pretty soon filming starts and from now until the movie is released its going to be an exiting and fun time for me.
Old December 8 2011, 06:37 PM   #11
MarsWeeps
Captain

I think the Enterprise needs to encounter the Doomsday Machine...which is manned...by Khan and his friends...Kirk chases the Doomsday Machine through the Guardian of Forever...where they all age rapidly...while the Tholians start building a web around it.

Cyrano Jones shows up and starts launching tribbles at the Tholians which causes the Guardian of Forever to be thrown clear.

Lots of original ideas!!!
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 06:53 PM   #12
Hythlodeus
Commander

I want Candy!!!
Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2011, 07:22 PM   #13
Gojira
Commodore

I want a pony!
Old December 8 2011, 07:25 PM   #14
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

I want a good Star Trek movie villain!
Old December 8 2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Trekkie2
Commander

Yep, I want to see a super human meglomaniac bent on retribution, wreak havoc throughout the universe. It's not like they've done one of those once, twice, three, okay, four times before. Let's see, a Vulcan, an Android, and sombody's mommy were offed in the last three. Who would bite it this time?

Wonder what the name of the next movie is going to be? Star Trek: Redux Part Deux?

Last edited by Trekkie2; December 8 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Trekkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote