RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,664
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 413
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 20 2012, 08:40 PM   #646
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Does It Get Better???

Misco wrote: View Post
I feel that too. They had a really good concept there and I loved the idea of fluidic space. Also if 8472 had become a bigger part of the series then maybe there would have been less Borg stuff for people to bitch about. I suppose they were expensive to put on screen though?
The 8472 being able to fight the Borg was a big part of them not being used again. Negative reaction to the idea of there being even one species that could fight the Borg led to them not being used to a big capacity again, so that meant no more 8472 vs Borg stories. But they couldn't be lazy and just leave things the way they were in "Scorpion" so the did "In the flesh" as a quick and easy way of getting them out of Trek without wasting any more time and effort (because they'd already seen that their better efforts were met with nothing but further criticism so there was no further point in trying).
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 09:04 PM   #647
MacLeod
Admiral

Isn't there always a bigger fish?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2012, 10:06 PM   #648
tighr
Commodore

Anwar wrote: View Post
The 8472 being able to fight the Borg was a big part of them not being used again. Negative reaction to the idea of there being even one species that could fight the Borg led to them not being used to a big capacity again, so that meant no more 8472 vs Borg stories.
I'm going to call you out on this one. Prove it. I want facts, not pronouns and emotions. Raw hard facts that people hated 8472 because they could defeat the Borg.
Old January 20 2012, 11:22 PM   #649
AdmiralScreed
Captain

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
That's where the similarities end. The plot of "Nemesis" isn't really that similar at all.
Nor is the plot that interesting. Just your average "two alien races at war" plot without much substance. Not bad, but nothing special either. This episode is bogged down with too many problems to be considered good, or even average for that matter, IMO.
Old January 20 2012, 11:32 PM   #650
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Revulsion: Winner! Winner! The best episode of season 4 so far, IMO. The main plot with the hologram was interesting; the hologram was extremely creepy and well acted. His revulsion at humanity was an interesting twist to his character.
I also loved the subplot with 7 and Harry. I thought all of their scenes were hilarious, and seeing Chakotay question Kim later was very funny.
No complaints here.
8/10
Old January 21 2012, 12:32 AM   #651
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

The 8472 being able to fight the Borg was a big part of them not being used again. Negative reaction to the idea of there being even one species that could fight the Borg led to them not being used to a big capacity again.
Oh great, here comes Anwar with his made up fan reactions.

RE: Revulsion
Its a pretty good episode but I never get too excited about it. Nonetheless, it was a very good story concept with good acting, good lighting/direction and fairly interesting dialogue. A very solid episode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 01:07 AM   #652
tighr
Commodore

Revulsion: I liked it as well, but probably not enough to give it 8/10. It is one of only two times on Voyager that a member of the crew is promoted in rank, and that strikes me as a huge disappointment for the show in general. (In TNG, several characters are promoted at various times, but its mostly off-screen. Same with DS9).

Not to mention the fact that the costume department was horrible at pips in Voyager. Absolutely horrible. And rank is one of my favorite parts about watching the show.
Old January 21 2012, 01:25 AM   #653
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I was aghast watching this one, because an idea/conversation brought forth last week still existed.

Tom loves B'Elanna!

Yayyyyyyy!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 02:50 AM   #654
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

I know. The mild shows of continuity in the first half of season 4 was kind of crazy! Oh well, good things don't last long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 03:06 AM   #655
Anwar
Vice Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
The 8472 being able to fight the Borg was a big part of them not being used again. Negative reaction to the idea of there being even one species that could fight the Borg led to them not being used to a big capacity again, so that meant no more 8472 vs Borg stories.
I'm going to call you out on this one. Prove it. I want facts, not pronouns and emotions. Raw hard facts that people hated 8472 because they could defeat the Borg.
Seriously? You've never heard any of the "Voyager ruined the Borg" spiel on these forums alone?

No, the fandom/hatedom refused to believe that there were "bigger fish" than the Borg. They're quite stupid in that belief, but that's how it is.
Anwar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 03:10 AM   #656
Harvey
Admiral

Star Trek: Voyager did ruin the Borg, but it has nothing to do with the events of "Scorpion."

When you're talking about "fandom/hatedom" it seems to be something that doesn't exist (if it ever did).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 03:13 AM   #657
tighr
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
Seriously? You've never heard any of the "Voyager ruined the Borg" spiel on these forums alone?

No, the fandom/hatedom refused to believe that there were "bigger fish" than the Borg. They're quite stupid in that belief, but that's how it is.
A)You're still using pronouns and vague references to "spiel".
B)Absolute failure to respond to my request in earnest.
C)I never asked you to prove that "Voyager ruined the Borg" (a fact I already agreed with). I asked you to prove that people hated 8472 for being able to defeat the Borg.
Old January 21 2012, 03:24 AM   #658
tighr
Commodore

Shoot, I did the research for you. Here's a thread -- one in which you participated -- from 2 years ago where the general consensus is that 8472 is badass, yet underutilized. Not a single person in the thread hated 8472 or questioned their ability to defeat the Borg. Rather, the complaint was that the writer's handicapped them instead of just letting them be badass.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...highlight=8472
Old January 21 2012, 03:27 AM   #659
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Since you're obviously referring to me as the stupid hatedom, Anwar, I'll tell you again that I don't hate 8472 for being able to defeat the Borg. All I was trying to originally get across was that the story in Scorpion was one that I didn't think needed to be told. The Borg were at their peak in their original TNG episodes because they were frightening, menacing, and seemingly unstoppable. The Borg in Scorpion, on the other hand, had hardly any of that menace, and they were beginning to feel stale from overuse.
And please, Anwar, if you have something negative to say about me please say it directly to me rather than referring to me as the stupid fandom/hatedom. Thanks for your consideration.
Old January 21 2012, 03:29 AM   #660
tighr
Commodore

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Since you're obviously referring to me as the stupid hatedom, Anwar, I'll tell you again that I don't hate 8472 for being able to defeat the Borg.

And please, Anwar, if you have something negative to say about me please say it directly to me rather than referring to me as the stupid fandom/hatedom. Thanks for your consideration.
I don't think he was referring directly to you. I think he likes to talk in generalities because he can't back up what he's saying.