Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 14 2012, 04:21 AM   #511
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Re: Does It Get Better???

Yeah, it would be nice to have some sets not related to the ship functions. I mean this was supposed to be a 70 year voyage and the crew were constantly stuck in this horrible, grey military environment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 04:30 AM   #512
Harvey
Admiral

Well, that's the fault of the design aesthetic of Star Trek since TNG (and, really, the lineage goes back to TMP): plenty of grays and not a lot of color. It didn't help that Berman's shooting aesthetic -- rarely deviated upon since 1987 -- was pretty dull and lifeless.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was a little more interesting to look at, since it was allowed to use shadows and dramatic lighting more often, but it still followed Berman's mundane shooting pattern.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 04:36 AM   #513
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Its fine for the ships to look a bit duller but with Voyager being in such a unique situation, I would have expected the ship to look like a bit more of a patchwork with alien technology and some personalization.
Old January 14 2012, 04:44 AM   #514
Harvey
Admiral

Yeah, that never did happen. Even the astrometrics lab, which was supposed to be partially built out of Borg technology, was rather dull looking.

It's a shame, really, because if they had started to adopt alien technology, the grey color scheme at the start would have provided for an interesting contrast to the increasingly alien technology being added to it.

Old January 14 2012, 04:45 AM   #515
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Well, that's the fault of the design aesthetic of Star Trek since TNG (and, really, the lineage goes back to TMP): plenty of grays and not a lot of color. It didn't help that Berman's shooting aesthetic -- rarely deviated upon since 1987 -- was pretty dull and lifeless.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine was a little more interesting to look at, since it was allowed to use shadows and dramatic lighting more often, but it still followed Berman's mundane shooting pattern.
Wouldn't that be the fault of the director, not Berman?
Unfortunately, some directors lack vision.

That's one of the reasons I also like "Distant Origin" & "Latent Image". They're one of the few eps. that break away from what you're describing an use shadows and camera angles to convey mood or emotion in story telling.

It's a shame, really, because if they had started to adopt alien technology, the grey color scheme at the start would have provided for an interesting contrast to the increasingly alien technology being added to it.
Before they ruined it with ENT.. wasn't Federation tech already supposed to be an amalgam of alien tech.?
I was always under the assumption all alien tech was converted to look and work with Starfleet. Anything that can't be converted, can't be used. Like what Neelix did by using a tech. that didn't intergrate.
Old January 14 2012, 04:47 AM   #516
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I'd rather that they simply were trapped in one area of the DQ for the series (like how Moya never left the Uncharted Territories) and they could make sets for recurring planets/alien ships that they kept running into.

If they took the trouble of sticking them in the DQ, they shouldn't waste that by having them run away from it. They should've spent the show fleshing out one area of DQ so that by the end it was as built-up and developed as the small part of the AQ that TNG/DS9 took place in.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2012, 04:50 AM   #517
Harvey
Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
Berman dictated a very conservative style of shooting and editing, which is evident in almost every episode of the franchise produced under his control. Rene Auberjonois mentions it in a fairly recent issue of the Star Trek Magazine (besides acting in the part of Odo, he directed a number of episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).

Here's the quote (No. 35, July/Aug 2011):

Rene Auberjonois wrote:
With Star Trek there was a specific style of shooting. Rick's approach to directing Star Trek was much more classical. You never cut on a moving shot. You had to have the right amount of close ups, medium shots and reverses. You had to tell the story, and directing Star Trek really taught me a lot about the basics of film making.

Old January 14 2012, 04:51 AM   #518
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Well I wouldn't have wanted them to be stuck in one part of the DQ for the whole 7 seasons, but there definitely should have been arcs where they are in trouble and traveling through one area of space at either lower warp due to technical issues with the warp engine, or simply traveling through an empire or whatever.
Old January 14 2012, 04:58 AM   #519
exodus
Fleet Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
Berman dictated a very conservative style of shooting and editing, which is evident in almost every episode of the franchise produced under his control. Rene Auberjonois mentions it in a fairly recent issue of the Star Trek Magazine (besides acting in the part of Odo, he directed a number of episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).

Here's the quote (No. 35, July/Aug 2011):

Rene Auberjonois wrote:
With Star Trek there was a specific style of shooting. Rick's approach to directing Star Trek was much more classical. You never cut on a moving shot. You had to have the right amount of close ups, medium shots and reverses. You had to tell the story, and directing Star Trek really taught me a lot about the basics of film making.
Really!?
That I never knew.
Writer/producers aren't supposed to have that type of control over what a director does. It's one lesson I learned in Broadcasting: you don't step on a directors toes.

Thanks for the info.
Much appreciated.
Old January 14 2012, 05:02 AM   #520
Harvey
Admiral

Writer-Producers (or in Berman's case, really just a Producer; he didn't get heavily involved in the writing of the franchise until Enterprise ) wield a lot of power over directors when it comes to episodic television. In feature films, of course, the relationship is very different.

Old January 14 2012, 05:05 AM   #521
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Writer-Producers (or in Berman's case, really just a Producer; he didn't get heavily involved in the writing of the franchise until Enterprise ) wield a lot of power over directors when it comes to episodic television. In feature films, of course, the relationship is very different.
Yep, you're correct.
I don't know why, I just assumed he didn't.
Old January 14 2012, 05:09 AM   #522
Anwar
Vice Admiral

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
Well I wouldn't have wanted them to be stuck in one part of the DQ for the whole 7 seasons, but there definitely should have been arcs where they are in trouble and traveling through one area of space at either lower warp due to technical issues with the warp engine, or simply traveling through an empire or whatever.
Well, why not? I mean, I'd rather have them have the Kazon, Vidiians, Krenim, Hirogen, Malon and Vaadwaar all exist in the same large area of space so that we'd be able to see stories of the DQ aliens and their interactions with one another rather than just have VOY run into them one at a time.

Look at Farscape, did they just stop using the Peacekeepers after one season and use the Scarrans exclusively, or did they decide to actually flesh out the political landscape of the Uncharted Territories and have all the aliens co-exist together?
Old January 14 2012, 06:14 AM   #523
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

I don't really understand how that would have made sense, why would the crew not be trying to leave that area of space to get to earth? It would be a bit weird for them to be faffing about in the same region of space for 7 years.
Old January 14 2012, 06:41 AM   #524
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Something (The Female Caretaker, Q, etc) keeps them from leaving/has set up a barrier around the entire area to keep anyone from leaving.

Basically, any kind of contrivance to keep them from leaving would work.

Having them be on the move squandered the Delta Quadrant premise. If you bother sending them out there, don't make it so easy to get back. The show should've been as much about defining the DQ as well as the AQ has been defined.

Last edited by Anwar; January 14 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old January 14 2012, 07:16 AM   #525
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

You really are a person of extremes Anwar. There's a middle ground between "being trapped in one tiny part of the delta quadrant" and "racing home at maximum warp" that could still involve story arcs and fleshing out of DQ races.