Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 6 2011, 05:20 PM   #31
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Revisiting The Six-Million Dollar Man...

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Terrible, goofy show. Pure 70s.
All of which is part of its charm.

23skidoo wrote: View Post
It's a shame some folks hate the show on the simple basis that it was made in the 1970s. I wonder if they ever watch TV shows just for the fun of it.

Alex
Does he do anything for the fun of it?
Old December 6 2011, 07:26 PM   #32
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Terrible, goofy show. Pure 70s.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 07:43 PM   #33
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Sometimes I wish I had been just a bit older in the 70s, when shows like this were new. I only remember watching and enjoying them as a kid.. I don't remember all the cast changes from pilot to pilot, movies rather than episodes, spliced footage (although I DO remember that from BSG)..

Then again, maybe it's a good thing I don't remember all this stuff..

Ok, hands up.. Who had the Steve Austin 12 inch action figure with the hole in his head you could look through? I sure did!
Old December 6 2011, 07:45 PM   #34
RandyS
Vice Admiral

marillion wrote: View Post
Sometimes I wish I had been just a bit older in the 70s, when shows like this were new. I only remember watching and enjoying them as a kid.. I don't remember all the cast changes from pilot to pilot, movies rather than episodes, spliced footage (although I DO remember that from BSG)..

Ok, hands up.. Who had the Steve Austin 12 inch action figure with the hole in his head you could look through? I sure did!
*hand up*

I did too.
Old December 6 2011, 07:49 PM   #35
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post

*hand up*

I did too.
*Wing Up*

Me Three

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 08:01 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

Sometimes it's cool to rediscover a show in reverse, as it were. I grew up thinking of Martin E. Brooks as the Rudy Wells, so imagine my surprise when I caught reruns in the '80s or so and discovered that Rudy had previously been played by none other than Alan Oppenheimer, whom I knew from his work as a voice artist for Filmation Associates, playing roles like Ming on Flash Gordon and Skeletor on He-Man (both of whom had the exact same voice, but Oppenheimer had a lot more range than that, also playing Man-at-Arms and Cringer/Battle-Cat on He-Man, for example).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 08:40 PM   #37
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I watched it for a while then drifted away... the last one I watched was the one where he returned to the Moon, which was being pushed out of orbit somehow, and at the end he turned a nuclear bomb into a shaped charge by hammering on it with his fist and making it possible to force to Moon back into orbit. I wish I was kidding! It was a fun show for a while, and I read the first Caidin book too and recall liking it.

Last edited by Klaus; December 6 2011 at 10:55 PM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 08:45 PM   #38
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post

*hand up*

I did too.
*Wing Up*

Me Three
*crest up*

My brother had Steve and I had Maskatron.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 08:52 PM   #39
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Still have mine and its still cool.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2011, 09:11 PM   #40
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Me and my brother each had one (my very wise granny tended to buy two of everything to avoid fights).
Old December 6 2011, 10:41 PM   #41
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

23skidoo wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for that info. Is the real, original version available anywhere? It's a shame that the box set uses the re-edits.
Apologies for any confusion - the versions of the movies in the Season 1 set that was just released are the original broadcast versions - the good ones. The reedits are included in an additional 5-disc set (which also includes the reunion TV movies) which is likely only going to be available as part of the mail-order Time-Life set (though I'm expecting the reunion movies to get some sort of release on their own as they did in the UK).

In terms of what seasons to get, you're pretty safe getting the first 3 seasons. Season 1 had a vitality to it as they were testing the show's sea legs. Two words to recommend Season 2: Jamie Sommers. Season 3 for the same reason, except moreso because she appears in a number of episodes, plus you get the introduction of Bigfoot and Stefanie Powers (famously a onetime candidate to play Jamie) as alien babe Shalon. As a fan of the series since it first aired as a weekly in 1974, Season 3 has, pound for pound, more of my favorite and well-remembered episodes.

Season 4 and 5 are starting to get into "fan only" territory. Season 4 had more Jamie crossovers, but it was also the season of "The Moustache" and the show started to falter. (If you want to avoid Season 4 altogether but want to see the Jamie episodes, they're all included in the Season 2 Bionic Woman set). By Season 5, the show was running on fumes. There were still some very good episodes, and I'm looking forward to seeing them (I'm intentionally going through my Time-Life set slowly because I don't want to end my fun too soon after a generation waiting for this thing to hit home video, so I'm only in early Season 4 right now), but the Bionic Woman had switched networks by this point so they weren't allowed to feature Jamie anymore. But Lee Majors did shave off his 'stache, so that's something.

The movies are a nostalgia trip, but weren't particularly very good, though they tried some interesting experiements. The first movie was clearly a pilot for Steve's now-bionic son Michael, but it's mostly interesting for a) having Steve do things with his bionics he'd never have been allowed to do in the original series, and b) featuring Martin Landau as a scenery-chewing villain - after having got stuck in this rut for the previous decade, very soon after making "Return of the SMDM and the BW" Landau experienced a career resurgence that climaxed with him getting the Oscar for Ed Wood a few years later. The second film was another pilot for a new Bionic Woman series starring Sandra Bullock. I'll let that sink in - and man she was hot in that movie. The last film was a straight-up reunion film and was more relaxed, and gave Jamie some kick-ass action along the way.
Thanks for all that info. It sounds like my favorite episodes were more spread out than I remembered. And I would definitely want the reunion movies, too (and, yeah, I remember Sandra Bullock in her gymnast outfit ).

It's a shame some folks hate the show on the simple basis that it was made in the 1970s. I wonder if they ever watch TV shows just for the fun of it.
It's not about having fun! It's about proving oneself! Serious business....
Old December 7 2011, 01:49 AM   #42
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I don't think I've seen an ep of this show since it was still in production. I read the book a few years back, and enjoyed it even if it was very dated.
Old December 7 2011, 06:12 AM   #43
RandyS
Vice Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
I don't think I've seen an ep of this show since it was still in production. I read the book a few years back, and enjoyed it even if it was very dated.
So what if it's dated? Does that mean you can't watch it now and appreicate it for what it is? If so, why not?
Old December 7 2011, 06:51 AM   #44
Warped9
Admiral

Population: Zero ****

A disgruntled scientist threatens deaths with a weapon of his invention.

This is more like it. We have a decent story and decent performances from all. And to boot we have the right music. The opening credits are worth the price of admission alone. And at this stage the sound f/x are still low-key and the stunts are made to look reasonably credible.

My only quibble is when Austin throws his makeshift concrete and steel javelin I don't understand why the truck blows up on impact. It just seemed contrived. Actually all Austin had to really do was get a good sized rock and knock the truck's sonic antenna off, but that mightn't have seemed as dramatic. Maybe he actually was aiming for the antenna apparatus and his throw went a bit low.
Old December 7 2011, 04:01 PM   #45
Christopher
Writer

^Basic TV physics: all gasoline-powered vehicles explode on impact, with occasional delay barely sufficient to allow the escape of characters still needed for the story. Vehicles that go off cliffs occasionally explode before impact.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote