Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 11 2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Captain Tracy
Commander

Which RED SHIRTS had the shortest & longest career?

And speaking of "Off-ing the Red Shirts",... In a single episode, who do you think had the shortest "career" on-board the good ship Enterprise?,... and who had the longest?

Making it to the closing credits does not count,... the Red Shirt in question had to end up, as the saying goes; "dead,... Dead,... DEAD!!!" - Trelane
Old November 12 2011, 01:26 PM   #2
7thsealord
Captain

Re: Which RED SHIRTS had the shortest & longest career?

Scottie would be at least a contender for longest career.

Yeah, I know, NOT Security - but he always wore a red shirt and (going by the Tech Manual), his uniform insignia was the same as the disposables anyhow. He even got to die once - but got better.
7thsealord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

Lt. Kyle would likely be the runner-up for longest. Then there's Lt. Leslie, who served over and over, died by noxious cloud, then, for unexplained reasons, decided to keep serving.

The shortest career? Very likely Yeoman Thompson from BY ANY OTHER NAME. The actress portraying her was 19. Assuming Starfleet service starts at 18..... There's an excellent piece of fan fiction on the character online. It's titled ''Comeuppance.''

The length of Marla McGivers career is an open question, as she swore off red after being dismissed, then croaked during an indeterminate time. Better leave her out, I guess....

Last edited by Foxhot; November 12 2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: mispelling
Foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Captain Tracy
Commander

7THSEASLORD & FOXHOT - I should have written the question better,... my bad,....

What I meant was this: from FADE-IN, start the stop-watch,... which RED SHIRT bites it in _____ seconds flat = shortest career; and the one who lasts ________ seconds from the FADE-OUT = longest career,.. but they cannot survive the episode,.... short of like that joke about "How long can a red shirt last on an episode of Star Trek.

I totally screwed up the question, sorry,.. TAKE #2 LOL!

GARROVICK: Sir, I respecfully request you put me in for consideration on this current thread about RED SHIRT LIFESPAN

KIRK: Sorry, Garrovick, I,... can't,... do that,... you survived,... the episode,... you don't... Qualify,... unfortunatly

GARROVICK: Sir, do mean it is unfortunate I don't Qualify, or it's unfortunate I survived the Vampire Cloud?

KIRK: Huh?!?

Last edited by Captain Tracy; November 12 2011 at 06:12 PM.
Captain Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

I think I have the definite answers for that. When you remember the redshirt's names-----when they have them----it's
easier to remember.

SHORTEST CAREER: Grant, FRIDAY'S CHILD. He lasts maybe forty seconds, tops, only gets to say three words just seconds before he dies, perishing instantly for his bonehead mistake. Kirk insists that he was young and inexperienced. So naturally he's the only guard beamed down to a planet of lightning-fast warriors. He should've attended McCoy's opening briefing. When he beams down, something in the look on his face makes me think he KNOWS he's already a goner......

LONGEST DURATION OF DEAD REDSHIRT: Marple, THE APPLE. Three other guards came down with him. One got thorned two minutes into the prologue, and two more got shocked and detonated moments apart in Act Two. Marple was THIS CLOSE to getting out alive, until he got stoned from behind in Act Four. Life is not fair.........no other doomed guard lasted that long. However, in James Blish's episode adaptation, Marple doesn't die......probably as it's not addressed in the dialogue, only visually.

THE APPLE is a deadly episode for ENTERPRISE crewmen, but there are at least three equally-or-more deadly shows for them. Guesses, anyone?
Old November 12 2011, 07:47 PM   #6
DakotaSmith
Fleet Captain

View DakotaSmith's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to DakotaSmith Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DakotaSmith Send a message via Yahoo to DakotaSmith

The longest-serving redshirts we probably know about are Commodores Stone and Stocker. Though how Stocker survived his first landing party is beyond me ...

Dakota Smith

DakotaSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 09:48 PM   #7
J.T.B.
Commodore

DakotaSmith wrote: View Post
The longest-serving redshirts we probably know about are Commodores Stone and Stocker. Though how Stocker survived his first landing party is beyond me
Though Stone, as a former starship captain, likely wasn't a redshirt his whole career.

As for security officers, Giotto had survived long enough to become a lieutenant commander (or commander, if you go by his insignia).

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2011, 12:24 AM   #8
Bixby
Commander

foxhot wrote: View Post
LONGEST DURATION OF DEAD REDSHIRT: Marple, THE APPLE. Marple was THIS CLOSE to getting out alive, until he got stoned from behind in Act Four. Life is not fair.........no other doomed guard lasted that long. However, in James Blish's episode adaptation, Marple doesn't die......probably as it's not addressed in the dialogue, only visually.

THE APPLE is a deadly episode for ENTERPRISE crewmen, but there are at least three equally-or-more deadly shows for them. Guesses, anyone?
'OBSESSION' would be one of them, for sure... 'MIRROR,MIRROR'' perhaps? (3 killed by the Tantalus field, 2 by phaser fire)

As for Marple, isn't it heavily implied he was killed when he is clubbed to the ground, McCoy comes over to examine him and does nothing to revive him. When the fight with the villagers is over, Kirk tosses a confiscated club to the ground and says : ''They (meaning the villagers) have learned to kill!'' (or was it Spock?)
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2011, 12:53 AM   #9
Captain Tracy
Commander

STONE: Captain Kirk, Mr. DAKOTA want to know if I win,..?

KIRK: Not only don't you win,... Commodore, you don't even qualify,... as you didn't DIE

STONE: Couldn't we just 'look the other way?,... you know 'Sweep it under the rug,... it's done all the time

KIRK: NO,.. you have to be DEAD,.. you know,.. KILLED DURING THE EPISODE,...

STONE: But DAKOTA is really intelligent,... he MUST know the difference between the living and the dead ?!!? I could hire COGLEY,... it worked for you.

KIRK: Forget it Commodore,... and tell your buddy STOCKER, he didn't DIE in his episode either,... get off it mister.

STONE: Daaammnnn.
Old November 13 2011, 01:21 AM   #10
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

In our zeal to post replies we read the original posts too swiftly and forget the meaning. I did this myself. As the thread gets longer, less go back to the beginning.
Bottom line: All have to be dead to join this club.

Bixby's guess of OBSESSION is right. Also MIRROR, MIRROR. I'd forgotten about that one. If mirror-ENTERPRISE counts, it ties OBSESSION for five deaths. The last of them is off camera. And if memory serves, Leslie is one of the first two.

Though THE APPLE is probably the ultimate in redshirt bloodbath, due to the nature of its first three deaths, it also ties with another episode for four total croakings.

Yet another episode goes even higher than any other. Can anyone name that episode, plus the second four-deader?
Old November 13 2011, 01:36 AM   #11
Captain Tracy
Commander

SPOCK: Commodore, before you embark on an interrogative oratory regarding your eligibility, may I remind you sir, contrary to what you have inferred by Mr. DAKOTAS hypothesis,... you also, survived your episode and therefore are not eligible for potential candidacy.

STOCKER: ?!? What??!!!,... excuse me,... SPOCK,... Did you just call me fat??!!!

SPOCK: I assure you Commodore,... I did not.

STOCKER: I think you did.

GIOTTO: Giotto to Enterprise,...

UHURA: Go ahead Giotto.

GIOTTO: Lt,... can someone check and see if I am alive?

UHURA: WHAT?!?!?

GIOTTO: What are you complaining for,... geeze!,... all you do is open the hailing frequencies, ...and you always bitch about nothing to do,.. look,... just find out if I died, or am I alive!!,.. DAMN,... I knew this would happen once they let the broads on-board.

UHURA: I'll be seeing you when you get back here, mister.

Old November 13 2011, 02:01 AM   #12
Myko
Captain

Galloway lasts for quite a while before biting the dust in The Omega Glory.
Old November 13 2011, 02:28 AM   #13
Bixby
Commander

Though THE APPLE is probably the ultimate in redshirt bloodbath, due to the nature of its first three deaths, it also ties with another episode for four total croakings.

Yet another episode goes even higher than any other. Can anyone name that episode, plus the second four-deader?
The Changeling with 2 sets of 2 security guys, vaporized by Nomad. Would that be 5 redshirts if we count Scotty among the ones killed, even though Nomad revives him?
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2011, 07:25 AM   #14
Captain Tracy
Commander

Hmmm, great question FOXHOT, okay going just off the top of my head:

Absolute highest Red Shirts killed Ha Ha!!!! It's a trick question,.... as the entire crews (and that means ALOT of RED laundry) of the Intrepid, the Constellation, the Exeter, the Defiant, and the Excalibur all suffered the loss of every single red shirt on-board,.. along with all blue & gold shirts,...

SO IT IS A 5 WAY TIE FOR MOST NUMBER OF RED SHIRTS KILLED IN A SINGLE EPISODE- TRICK QUESTION!!!

OTHER 4 Deader: damn,... oh hell,.. Day of the Dove

aarrrggghh,... Dove cant be right.

FOXHOT - what about MYKO's answer about Galloway in OMEGA,.. I would think he lasted a good long time, but maybe only to the end of ACT II or possibly middle of ACT III,... OPTNION?
Old November 13 2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Foxhot
Fleet Captain

Covering it all one by one:

Galloway didn't break any episode records in THE OMEGA GLORY. He bought it (by your hand, Captain Tracy) at the end of Act One.......which is probably the most likely spot to die as a redshirt (i.e. BY ANY OTHER NAME, WOLF IN THE FOLD, GALILEO SEVEN, many others). But Galloway is a recurring character in first season episodes such as A TASTE OF ARMAGEDDON, MIRI and I believe CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER. He speaks a lot more than Lieutenant Leslie, but both are probably the only ones to debut long before their deaths.

And Galloway snuck back in while changing his name to Johnson for DAY OF THE DOVE.

Bixby's guess of THE CHANGELING is also correct. Four guards buy it in two by two formation. And both pairs get it exactly the same way. You'd swear they shot it once and played it twice to save money..........like when they show Sulu's head looking back at the Captain once every week. How much would it really cost to shout ''Nomad, stop!'' twice?

As for the ULTIMATE COMPUTER guess, it only qualifies as the all-time Starfleet casualty record (440-540 plus?), not as the ENTERPRISE record. The only one on the ENTERPRISE who croaks is Harper. BBBBBBBBZZZZTTTT!!!!!!! Even though there's a good chance there were some ex-ENTERPRISE transferees on board from Season One, we'll never know. So, in the end, ULTIMATE COMPUTER ia just a single croak.

So, we still have the highest death-count episode unrevealed. It's Kirk's deadliest mission ever, and it's over five. Keep guessing.....

Geez, Commodore Stocker's so sensitive......