RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 423
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Rise Like Lions.
Outstanding 55 62.50%
Above Average 29 32.95%
Average 2 2.27%
Below Average 1 1.14%
Poor 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31 2012, 07:03 PM   #196
dispatcher812
Lieutenant Commander

Re: MU: Rise Like Lions by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Finished it today and all I can say is "WOW". I had started this universe but stopped when I reached Shards and Shadows. For some reason I did feel the need to move on. While on vacation and in need of a book I purchased it and then moved to Rise Like Lions. I wish I would have made the move sooner. This book was incredible. I did not want to put it down. Great job Mr Mack. I look forward to more of your books. I must admit I did not purchase the extended version of The Sorrows of Empire, simple because I did want to buy a book I had already read. However, seeing here that it explains ALOT more and the fact that it is written by Mr Mack, It is next on my list.

It what story was the MU Columbia in? And the Borg? I don't remember them.
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 07:54 PM   #197
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

dispatcher812 wrote: View Post
Finished it today and all I can say is "WOW". I had started this universe but stopped when I reached Shards and Shadows. For some reason I did feel the need to move on. While on vacation and in need of a book I purchased it and then moved to Rise Like Lions. I wish I would have made the move sooner. This book was incredible. I did not want to put it down. Great job Mr Mack.
Thanks!

I look forward to more of your books. I must admit I did not purchase the extended version of The Sorrows of Empire, simple because I did want to buy a book I had already read. However, seeing here that it explains ALOT more and the fact that it is written by Mr Mack, It is next on my list.
Yes, that wasn't just a reprint — I expanded it to more than twice its original length. Hope you enjoy it!

It what story was the MU Columbia in? And the Borg? I don't remember them.
I don't remember a Mirror Universe version of the Columbia. I recall that the MU Borg appeared in Greg Cox's short novel The Worst of Both Worlds, in the first MU anthology, Glass Empires. The only story I know of that features both the Columbia and the Borg is my Destiny trilogy, but that has no Mirror Universe component.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 08:48 PM   #198
Mage
Commodore

Do you need to read ALL the Mirror Universe short stories from the three Mirror Universe novels, or is reading The Sorrows Of Empires enough before you start Rise Like Lions?

I have read the DS9 Relaunch MU novels.
Old August 31 2012, 09:16 PM   #199
Christopher
Writer

Mage wrote: View Post
Do you need to read ALL the Mirror Universe short stories from the three Mirror Universe novels, or is reading The Sorrows Of Empires enough before you start Rise Like Lions?

Umm, terminology.. There are three MU anthologies, the first two of which, Glass Empires and Obsidian Alliances, contain three short novels apiece, while the third, Shards and Shadows, contains a number of short stories. Of course you don't need to read them all to understand Rise Like Lions; you can probably follow it well enough all by itself. But it does help if you've read the short-novel anthologies. As for the short stories in Shards and Shadows, some are referenced to an extent, while others (including mine, alas) are not.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:28 PM   #200
David Mack
Writer

Mage wrote: View Post

As Christopher noted, I tried to provide all essential details in the text of Rise Like Lions so that one can simply jump in and start reading.

That said, I made a great effort to incorporate and continue as many 24th-century story threads as possible from my peers' MU tales, in all three MU anthologies. I found it a bit daunting to reconcile and merge many previously unrelated story arcs from all the short stories, but in the end I think they knitted together fairly well.

Old August 31 2012, 09:31 PM   #201
Mage
Commodore

Christopher, David, thanks for the quick reply. I've been wanting to read Rise Like Lions, but I'll track down the anthologies first, and the expanded Sorrows... Should be more fun that way.
Old August 31 2012, 10:05 PM   #202
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

David Mack wrote: View Post
I don't remember a Mirror Universe version of the Columbia.
AFAIK, the only ship names that have been used for NXes in both universes are Enterprise and Avenger.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 07:28 AM   #203
Immolatus
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions review thread (spoiler

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ The claim of Selar having taken her own life was never verified, and because it occurred "off-screen," it was retconned at some point — I think in one of the stories in the Shards and Shadows anthology (though I might be mistaken about that).

Regardless of whether that retcon actually happened in print, I recall discussing this particular continuity point with both Greg Cox and Peter David at some point, and it was mutually agreed that the discontinuity was far from uncorrectable. So I say chalk up reports of Selar's demise to propaganda and move on.
Jeez u think he wrote the book . just finished reading it. enjoyed it from begining to end
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 08:06 PM   #204
Enterprise1701
Captain

If I may ask, David, do you have a specific name in mind for the events of this book like Terran War of Independence or Omega Revolution?

Fantastic novel, by the way.
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 09:13 PM   #205
David Mack
Writer

I've always thought of it first as “The Terran Rebellion” and later as “The Terran Revolution.” Which was why it was so big a deal when the resulting political entity expunged the word "Terran" from its name to become the all-welcoming Galactic Commonwealth.

Glad you enjoyed the book!

Old July 20 2014, 09:31 PM   #206
Enterprise1701
Captain

I've thought "Terran Rebellion" too, but it bugged me a lot that the rebel organization also referred to itself as "Terran Rebellion" and the term "Terran Resistance Forces" from "The Emperor's New Cloak" was never used it again.
Old July 20 2014, 09:34 PM   #207
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

"Surely we should be united against a common enemy..."

"THE TERRAN PEOPLE'S FRONT!!"
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 10:24 PM   #208
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I wasn't too keen on how a particular character was killed, their head was blown off by a phaser. It seemed a little brutal, even for the ST mirror universe.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 12:14 AM   #209
David Mack
Writer

DS9forever wrote: View Post
I wasn't too keen on how a particular character was killed, their head was blown off by a phaser. It seemed a little brutal, even for the ST mirror universe.
War is hell.

Old July 23 2014, 02:31 AM   #210
Enterprise1701
Captain

Hey David, does Memory Omega have mastery over omega molecules?