Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Rise Like Lions.
Outstanding 56 62.92%
Above Average 29 32.58%
Average 2 2.25%
Below Average 1 1.12%
Poor 1 1.12%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 30 2011, 05:10 AM   #136
light487
Ensign

Re: Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Rise Like Lions review thread (spoiler

I've only just started this.. 9% of the way through according to my Kindle. Having never read any of the other Mirror Universe novels, I was a bit worried that there would be a lot of references to things I didn't know about and all that usual stuff.. but so far everything has been written in a way that doesn't bore me with lots of exposition on the history of the books but doesn't leave me wondering who is who or what is what. I'm sure that there are characters that people who have read the proceding books would know better than I will.. but it's not like you are totally lost.
light487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 05:17 AM   #137
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ I'm encouraged to hear you say that, because that means I did my job properly. If I write a book properly, you should not need to have read any other book in order to understand mine (though, in the case of Star Trek, a familiarity with the original property is expected). I hope that you enjoy the rest of the novel and continue to find it as easily accessible.

If, in the future, you are curious to know more about the build-up to Rise Like Lions, I hope you'll pick up my novel The Sorrows of Empire, as well as the anthologies Glass Empires, Obsidian Alliances, and Shards and Shadows. I did my best to acknowledge and incorporate the continuity from each of them.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2011, 07:59 AM   #138
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I agree with what light said, I was impressed that I wasn't lost. I liked how you did at times give us brief tie ins where it was helpful to know what we missed. Also, though I'm not a mirror fan, I am now interested in catching the back stories. I definitely would want to if it is decided to continue with the series.
Old December 31 2011, 07:02 PM   #139
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

Just finished the book last night. Read it in one day and enjoyed it. I did fall asleep a couple of times, but only because I had a cold. The book was about the only thing I had the energy or desire to focus on. I also hope there will be a third book because I'd like to see what the Mirror Dominion does and how the Alpha Quadrant reacts.
Old December 31 2011, 08:24 PM   #140
JD
Admiral

Actually it would be the 6th book, or if you want to count each novella (or are they short novels) in the first two collections as independent stories it would be the 8th. Or we could get really nit picky and include every story in Shards and Shadows and then it would be the 21st.
Old January 3 2012, 05:49 AM   #141
light487
Ensign

One thing I am having difficulty with now that I am around 20% of the way through is the sheer amount of characters and different sub-plots. I'm used to a bit of flittering around but this book sees so many different points of views that when you put the book down for a day and pick it up, you kinda get a little lost. Even when reading through continuously, the jumping around gets a bit annoying.

I'm not saying it's a bad book.. no.. I am just saying that it is on such a grand scale in such a condensed form that I am having trouble keeping up.. :S
light487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2012, 06:35 AM   #142
David Mack
Writer

Well, again, it's helpful, in my opinion, to have read all the prior Mirror Universe stories, including those that are part of the post-finale DS9 story arc. Otherwise, a lot of these stories seem to come out of nowhere. I did what I could to provide context, but there were a lot of established "facts on the ground" that I had to respect and contend with while I wrote this book.

Old January 3 2012, 01:39 PM   #143
Csalem
Commodore

Finished it the other day and enjoyed it. My favourite part was the mention of Inis Mór at the end of the novel as my mother is from the neighbouring island of Inis Meain and I'm an O'Brien! The sudden mention of the island caught me completely by surprise and brought a smile to my face, as it did to my mother's. Think it was the first time in twenty years my interest in Star Trek made her smile!
Old January 3 2012, 06:42 PM   #144
David Mack
Writer

^ Well, whadda ya know! A very cool confluence of coincidences!

Old January 3 2012, 08:00 PM   #145
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

Pleasantly surprised. I usually don't go for Mirror Universe stuff, but this was really quite good, and quite compelling.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2012, 08:27 PM   #146
Fer
Commander

Rated it Outstanding. Thanks for an absolutely wonderful read!
Old January 6 2012, 09:04 PM   #147
David Mack
Writer

^ My pleasure.

Old January 11 2012, 08:59 PM   #148
captcalhoun
Admiral

finished this last night. putting it very profanely, it's a FUCKING BRILLIANT BOOK. i literally had trouble putting it down, it was a real page-turner.

i did wonder about the 2 Selars and even more about the Mirror Dax, so i'm glad i read the whole thread. i chalked the 2 Selars up to simply more than one person with the same name.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 09:05 PM   #149
David Mack
Writer

There was never any proof that the Selar in Greg Cox's story died; the reports of her demise might have been a lie ... or an error. There's no reason to think there are two different characters named Selar.

As for the double Dax issue ... just pretend Jennifer Sisko was following Ben Sisko's lead and was also mistaken about Jadzia's surname. Problem solved.

Old January 28 2012, 03:44 PM   #150
shanejayell
Captain

I voted 'Above Average.' I liked it, but it didn't blow me away as much as Destiny, for instance. Tho that may be because I haven't found Shards and Shadows yet, too *sigh* Anyway, I only really had two major gripes about this book:

One: Memory Omega does too much. They just... keeps handing the characters solutions to their problems, rather than having the rebels do the work. It feels very let-down-ish to a degree, tho Mack is a good enough writer to sell it, mostly.

Two: the Kes subplot. A left over from the Voyager tie in novel to MU, the Kes subplot is the only one that feels almost completely pointless to the plot. I'm guessing it was included to make the book as 'complete' as possible, but it seems to serve very little purpose. The only scene she DOES anything relevant seemed tacked on.

Anyway, a good, but not great novel, and I AM looking forward to any continuation.