Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 19 2011, 01:43 PM   #1
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Sci-Fi movies/TV shows released this year?

hey guys, i really love science fiction and i haven't come across anything new so i've been watching old Trek and SG1 to get my fill; i'm still loving watching the SG1 battles between the Goul'd and Replicator ships in season 8. i always seem to miss out on good shows. is there anything out there at the moment? terra nova looks decent, but i was looking for something with ships or something futuristic.

what's terra nova been like so far?

An obsessive Science-Fiction Geek at heart with a touch of Muscle Nerd on top.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Re: Sci-Fi movies/TV shows released this year?

I've heard it isn't that great.

As for new shows to try out, I'm biased here but you might find Doctor Who interesting. It has a lot of robots.
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I've been watching Terra Nova. It's decent. If you're interested in Terra Nova, watching the surprisingly similar (and similar in quality) Falling Skies is also not a bad idea.

Movie wise Source Code and The Adjustment Bureau were very good. Heard Another Earth and Melancholia were good, did not see them.

Don't recall any space opera releases this year, good or bad, but perhaps I wasn't looking hard enough.
Old November 19 2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Yevetha
Commodore

I would suggest Space Battleship Yamato which came out in 2010 for you.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Terra Nova is bad, don't bother with it.

The Walking Dead is terrific. Some folks are carping about how sloooow it is, but since they did a great job locking in the characters in the first season, I find it easy to be patient. A slow story about fascinating people is still good.

American Horror Story
is a mess, writing-wise, and it's not actually very scary, but the cast is great and it's incredibly entertaining, if you don't mind a lot of sexy, violent, demented sleaze and tawdry gimmicks being thrown at you, rapid-fire fashion, so you don't even dream of reaching for the zapper. I gotta like any show that tries that hard to keep my attention.

Once Upon a Time
is interesting, and you might check it out if the idea of traditional fairy tales being rewritten in some surprising ways appeals to you.

Grimm is a paint-by-numbers fantasy cop show of the type we've all seen too many times before.

Falling Skies at least has actual aliens in it, which makes it a rarity nowadays. I like the premise and the characters, even if the first season was a bit repetitive - fight the aliens, run away, etc - but where they left off, the second season could be going very interesting places that will kick the drama up a notch or two. They need to do something.

Dunno about the movies, the only genre movie I saw in the theater this year was Captain America - I loved it!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Also: Rise of the Planet of the Apes is basically the best Planet of the Apes film since the original, and more importantly was just very good and a lot of fun.

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The Walking Dead is terrific.
'Terrific' is a strong word, but I would say it's basically watchable television, and has a strong hook. The show's focus on its characters is a mixed blessing in that the character writing is very erratic; getting under Shane's skin is more fun then around half the underwritten cast.

If we're drifting into fantasy territory, though (re: Grimm, Once Upon A Time etc), Game of Thrones was pretty much a powerhouse of this year's television and can pretty easily be claimed to be one of the best shows of the year and - in my opinion - the best high fantasy TV series, period. Really good if one wants an epic pseudo-medieval political drama with lots of scheming and brooding and the weird fantastical stuff pushed far into the background, skulking like a lit fuse. Great show all around.
Old November 20 2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I think it's terrific for the characters alone. Also, look at the context: very few shows worth watching and even fewer among genre shows. It's definitely the best of the shows on my list.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Space Opera (Outer Space SciFi) or Robots, can't really think of any aside from Doctor Who this year.

I do echo Temis' suggestion of Falling Skies for Aliens (Alien invasion of Earth TV Series, there is some Mechanial Walkers, that are Death Robot-like).

Also for Zombies, Walking Dead is very good (With alot of LOST vibe to Character focus and the way scenes are shot, and they've had a couple enlightening flashbacks)

I like Once Upon a Time alot, but, it doesn't have Robots or Space Battle battles or Alien, it's Fantasy, a twisted take on Fairy Tales

Something you may not have seen before, that I think you'd enjoy is Space: Above and Beyond, if you've never seen it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 06:34 AM   #9
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Space Opera (Outer Space SciFi) or Robots, can't really think of any aside from Doctor Who this year.
ok, i just looked up 'space opera' and nothing came up. same with robots?

Old November 20 2011, 06:41 AM   #10
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Those aren't the names of TV shows.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 01:39 PM   #11
Yevetha
Commodore

Cowboys vs aliens.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Yevetha wrote: View Post
Cowboys vs aliens.

And REAL STEEL was all about robots.
Old November 20 2011, 07:42 PM   #13
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Transformers: Dark of the Moon of course also featured robots, including one voiced by Leonard Nimoy.
Old November 27 2011, 07:34 AM   #14
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

ok, thanks guys. i might check out cowboys and aliens.

i'd love something to terminator 2 or terminator: salvation. are there any movies out there like this? something where we get to see the viewpoint of the machines would be ideal.

Old November 27 2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Whofan
Fleet Captain

There's the Terminator TV series from a few years back, The Sarah Conner chronicles. It has Summer Glau as a female 'good' Terminator and various bad terminators. However it's in a seperate continuity from the last two films, which killed off Sarah and started the Future War.