RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 429
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 11 2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Republic of Doyle

Anyone watch this show? It's Canadian series about a father and son who work as private detectives in St. John's Newfoundland. It airs on CBC and it begins its third season tonight. The big news is that Russell Crowe will be making a guest appearance in the season 3 premiere.

Russell Crowe take on Republic of Doyle
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Re: Republic of Doyle

I watch it from time to time, and it's quite good. Gonna watch tonight for sure. Getting Russell Crowe was quite the coup, as I don't think he normally does TV.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ According to his IMDb profile, he hasn't done an episode of television since 1992.

Last night's episode also had Scott Grimes and Kevin Durand. I thought... Those are some big names and an odd combo, then I found out that they were his co-stars in Robin Hood.

Next, week's episode has Shannon Tweed.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
^ According to his IMDb profile, he hasn't done an episode of television since 1992.

Last night's episode also had Scott Grimes and Kevin Durand. I thought... Those are some big names and an odd combo, then I found out that they were his co-stars in Robin Hood.
Also Alan Doyle of Great Big Sea, who's guest-starred in a previous episode, and was also in Robin Hood.
Old January 13 2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Australis
Writer

I watched one season, but was put off by the season finale, it changed the tenor of th show and made me not inclined to tune in again. That aside, what i liked was pretty entertaining.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2012, 03:38 AM   #6
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

It was a good episode, though not great. I never saw the episode that Alan Doyle first starred in, but I understand he had the role of a criminal. I thought that the way the whole gang went from being criminals to simply being cops in this episode was rather cliché and weak, as they never acted very much like cops, but rather thugs.

I think I know why I don't watch this very often. It's the way it's presented. Very convoluted and hard to follow, especially if there's lots going on like there was in this episode. They put in a lot in there, yet don't devote enough time to everything, so like the policewoman being set up, they were building it up and then it fizzled as they dropped the ball due to the way it was cut.