RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 409
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 18 2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile
Dexter Renewed For 2 More Seasons

Showtime announced on Friday that Dexter has at least two more killing seasons left in him, renewing the dark drama for a seventh and eighth cycle.
“Dexter‘s enormous success is a real tribute to the great achievements of its cast, producers, and the powerhouse performance of Michael C. Hall,” Showtime prez David Nevins said in touting the pick-up. “The series is bigger than it’s ever been in its sixth season, both in terms of audience and its impact on the cultural landscape. Together with Michael [C. Hall], the creative team on the show has a very clear sense of where they intend to take the show over the next two seasons and, as a huge fan, I’m excited to watch the story of Dexter Morgan play out.”
Series lead Hall himself adds, “On behalf of the entire Dexter family, we relish the invitation to delve ever deeper into Dexter’s world.”
Link

Good news. I know there will be a lot of whining, but this season has been one of the best in terms of character development.
Old November 18 2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Dexter Renewed For 2 More Seasons

Showtime says the show will probably end with S8.

And this is just what I've wanted to hear - there's a definite end date and a plan for getting there:

"The biggest question was: what is the trajectory of the show creatively? And after speaking with (executive producers) John Goldwyn, Sara Colleton and Scott Buck, it became pretty clear that there was a very clear 3-year trajectory. Once we established that, this became a very simple negotiation, which went down pretty quickly.” The 3-year trajectory includes the current sixth season and the upcoming Seasons 7 and 8. Does it mean that Dexter will end after eight seasons? “I’m not going to say with absolute certainty that this is the end, but that is the likely scenario, that the series is moving towards a definite end,” Nevins said.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 10:22 PM   #3
davejames
Vice Admiral

I don't have a problem with continuing the show longer, but it IS starting to seem more and more ridiculous that Dexter hasn't been caught yet. Especially considering he works alongside so many smart detectives and cops every day,

I'm starting to think the original author had the right idea by having Debra find out the truth earlier. Having that extra person to help cover him would make the situation a bit more believable, I think. And it would make things a LOT more interesting between the TV versions of the characters as well.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Harvey
Admiral

"Probably" on Showtime means that it could go on for years -- as long as they can afford Michael C. Hall and the ratings hold, I suspect.

Regardless, I stopped watching after the dismal fifth season and don't see any reason to come back now. Even if season eight is the final year, that means the endgame will be drawn out over two entire seasons. I'll catch it on DVD if it turns out that worked, but I doubt it will.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 10:35 PM   #5
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

The fifth season was dreadful, but the sixth has mostly been an improvement so far. I'll keep watching.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Dream
Admiral

I'm not surprised. Of COURSE they aren't going to end their biggest show so quickly. Showtime willl milk it for as long as possible.

The fifth season was pretty bad, and I heard the sixth is not much better.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 11:54 PM   #7
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I hope it goes for a full 10 season's love the show love the books.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 01:23 AM   #8
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Look at Weeds, the show got an 8th season, doesn't say it's the finale season and that's 5 seasons too long.
bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

My faith in Dexter is dwindling. The reveal that they have a plan for the current season and the two next seasons barely elevate any hopes I have for the show. What I've seen of Season 6 so far doesn't change my feelings for the show's future.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Meh. Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, the 6th season wasn't planned as a final season and so there'd be big finale if the show was suddenly canceled. This show deserves the time to build up to a big finish. However, I am not sure that the show needs two more years. I was very happy, overall, with seasons 1-4 (season 4 being the peak.... absolutely amazing). Season 5 was just disappointing and went in the wrong direction, IMO. I haven't even seen any of season 6 and I am not sure how much I care about watching it. Perhaps having an end date will get the show back on track.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 08:35 PM   #11
ialfan
Fleet Captain

I would have been content with a seventh and final season but eight...ugh.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

I wish the show had just ended with Season 2 or Season 3 (I don't know about it ending with Season 4 because though it was fantastic with the Trinity Killer storyline, I wasn't a fan of the whole Angel/LaGuerta and Dexter/Rita melodrama, and the season ending was too heartbreaking for me.)
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I think this show is past it's prime.
They need to cast summer Glau that should finish the show off.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 10:37 PM   #14
Lieutenant Commander

I still like it and will probably watch it forever. The reason is there's always been some less good episodes in the middle of the season. But the last 3-4 episodes in the end of each season are always good and thrilling.
46379.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 05:03 AM   #15
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

It's still doing really well for Showtime so it's renewal is no surprise. I bet Deb finds out about Dexter in season 8. It seems like that's something they're going to save for the final season.