Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 21 2011, 05:22 AM   #31
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 Movie Discussion

When a guy in a committed relationship thinks he might like a new movie, he rents it on dvd 6 months later and watches it at 1/4 volume when she's asleep.

When a girl in a committed relationship thinks she might like a new movie, she forces her boyfriend/husband to hold her hand bag while they...

I don't know when it happened, but women rule the world.

Well, the western world.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 05:28 AM   #32
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I have real trouble feeling sorry for guys.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 07:11 AM   #33
AliciaD496
Fleet Captain

View AliciaD496's Twitter Profile

Well I went and saw the movie on a Saturday morning matinee ($6 admission is pretty hard to beat without waiting for a $1 theater, and I'm not sure where one is around here). Anyway...wasn't as crowded as either New Moon or Eclipse was, but the crowd was sizable considering the 9:20 start.

Honestly I think Eclipse was a better movie than this was, it was just filmed better and didn't have much of a lull unlike Breaking Dawn. I think that's part of the problem with splitting it into two parts, if it were all one movie it'd be a complete story, but since it's split it's not. Being a girl I enjoyed the wedding part (her dress WAS gorgeous, as was the wedding itself) but got a little bored with the honeymoon stuff until her discovery. The whole pro-life/pro-choice argument was a bit trite (we all knew which side would win considering the writer and how the book played out) and I didn't remember it being so preachy pro-life in the book, but maybe I misremembered. I'm a little disappointed that I have to wait a year, but supposedly they haven't even begun the post-production on Part 2 yet so I can understand.

Old November 21 2011, 08:33 AM   #34
Dream
Admiral

AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
Well I went and saw the movie on a Saturday morning matinee ($6 admission is pretty hard to beat without waiting for a $1 theater, and I'm not sure where one is around here). Anyway...wasn't as crowded as either New Moon or Eclipse was, but the crowd was sizable considering the 9:20 start.
The audience that I saw it with on Saturday afternoon was pretty big. I was surprised to see several little kids there. I hoped that it wasn't too intense for them.

Honestly I think Eclipse was a better movie than this was, it was just filmed better and didn't have much of a lull unlike Breaking Dawn.
I agree that Eclipse had the best director who knew how to shoot horror and the fights. It helped that Eclipse is still my favorite Twilight book/movie. The book was a good blend of romance and action.

I think that's part of the problem with splitting it into two parts, if it were all one movie it'd be a complete story, but since it's split it's not.
I don't know. I always thought the book could've been cut in two parts. The first part was one part in Bella's life while second was something different.

They picked the best place to end this movie with that cliffhanger. There was no any other place to end it.

Being a girl I enjoyed the wedding part (her dress WAS gorgeous, as was the wedding itself) but got a little bored with the honeymoon stuff until her discovery.
I thought the first half dragged quite a bit until the second half. Once the discovery happened this movie got super intense.

The whole pro-life/pro-choice argument was a bit trite (we all knew which side would win considering the writer and how the book played out) and I didn't remember it being so preachy pro-life in the book, but maybe I misremembered.
I was glad that the writer didn't spend too long on that in the movie. I remember the arguments taking way more space in the book. Bella made her choice about what to do about the baby and the movie moved on from there. There really wasn't any question about not going through with it.

I'm a little disappointed that I have to wait a year, but supposedly they haven't even begun the post-production on Part 2 yet so I can understand.
I think spacing the two movies out over a year is a smart thing. They'll have more time to make a better movie. Waiting a while doesn't really bother me. All the books are already out, so we all know what happens in them already.

They certainly have much more time to develop the new characters. I heard they are going to add a few more scenes to the movie like making the ending more exciting. It will be like the new honeymoon scenes in BD1, things not in the books that were added to make the movies better.
Old November 21 2011, 08:39 AM   #35
Bob Karo
Captain

Charlie and The 'Stache under utilized?

I say boycott!
Bob Karo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 09:01 AM   #36
Dream
Admiral

Billy Burke is really great as Charlie. The guy is so funny.
Old November 21 2011, 02:37 PM   #37
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
When a guy in a committed relationship thinks he might like a new movie, he rents it on dvd 6 months later and watches it at 1/4 volume when she's asleep.

When a girl in a committed relationship thinks she might like a new movie, she forces her boyfriend/husband to hold her hand bag while they...

I don't know when it happened, but women rule the world.

Well, the western world.
But afterwards in the second scenario the guy is likely to get sex, so....

---

Charlie The 'Stache is used all he needs to be his "Dad who is a cop with a gun" FotB speech was worth the price of admission. Man I wish I could grow and maintain and awesome 'stache like him!

I don't see how this movie or what happens with the pregnancy could make for any reasonable abortion argument. The fetus was clearly presenting itself as a very clear-cut risk to Bella's life should she carry it to term. I would suspect that even the most hard-core Pro-Life person would think that it's reasonable to terminate a pregnancy if the pregnancy is so hard on the mother she becomes death ill with a slowed heartbeat and an Ethiopian-like body.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 06:36 PM   #38
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
This movie made nearly 140 million dollars this weekend, because people in general do not care what sffantasy geeks think is good or bad.

Say it isn't so.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 07:18 PM   #39
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
This movie made nearly 140 million dollars this weekend, because people in general do not care what sffantasy geeks think is good or bad.

Say it isn't so.
Never under estimate the buying power of 16-25 year old teenage girls and their urge to see a pretty face and body on screen that combines a tragegy, a horror flick with a love story. Hello - everyone I'm sure remembers Titanic.

Twilight is Titanic with vampires and wolves added in for good meassure.

As someone said uptread, the marriage sequence was way to long. And their time on the island was slow IMO as well.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 07:52 PM   #40
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

I was 14 when Titanic came out. I admit that I loved it! But that was before I ever fell in love with anyone real...and, of course, two years before I had my first serious relationship.

Titanic gets me nostalgic to this day, but I know how corny it is.

I guess many of the girls who are screeching other people's brains out of their skulls will feel the same way in a few years.
Old November 21 2011, 08:00 PM   #41
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

I was 14 when Titanic came out. I admit that I loved it! But that was before I ever fell in love with anyone real...and, of course, two years before I had my first serious relationship.

Titanic gets me nostalgic to this day, but I know how corny it is.

I guess many of the girls who are screeching other people's brains out of their skulls will feel the same way in a few years.
From a purely teenage girl likes a guy point of view and as a gay man, I think Bella was an idiot and must be blind. Jacob is far hotter, has a body to die for-cannot get enough of him with his shirt off - and he's madly in love iwth her to boot.

Oh, and ya know that little thing that depsite being a wolf he's still alive.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 08:22 PM   #42
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, Jacob is clearly the "best guy" of the two for the fact that he's still alive and not a blood-sucking hell beast factors.

Which is all why I'm "Team Edward" if I have to pick a side.

Jacob is way too good for Bella and deserves much better.... which may or may not be the Demon Chest Burster Half-Vampire Hell Baby. I've no idea what she is like or if she's alive, dead, undead, or whatever.

Jacob should just hook up with Anna Kendrick, or hell, Alice. Anyone is better than the blank-slate that is Bella.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 08:42 PM   #43
superdeluxe
Captain

Not sure how they are going to deal with the whole imprinting issue, conservative groups might get upset

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2011, 08:44 PM   #44
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

superdeluxe wrote: View Post
Not sure how they are going to deal with the whole imprinting issue, conservative groups might get upset
It is pretty weird.

I guess what I like about Twilight is the fact that I can almost feel like a silly teenager again whilst watching/reading it... without the drawbacks of actually being that age.
Old November 21 2011, 10:45 PM   #45
Dream
Admiral

The Titanic 3D rerelease trailer was actually shown before this movie for me. I thought that was strangely fitting. Both romantic flicks and both will end up with lots of money.