To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 2 2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Yea, finally back, and rewatching Babylon 5

Hi all, work has been heck for the last few months. But not complaining, I am employed!

My Babylon 5 watching was delayed so much I almost forgot all the details, (Was deep in season 5) so I decided to rewatch Babylon 5 for the first time. Up to Deathwalker. It is fun to see all the little hints spread throughout the early episodes as things where set up. And yes, infection is still bad on 2nd watch, even if you know what the enemy is, it still mucho bad.

Midnight on the firing line: (B) - It still holds up on rewatching, a great start to the series, holding it to a B as I know how good Babylon 5 gets later.

Soul Hunter: C - Not as bad as I remember, still find it decent. Need to watch the Bab5 movie with the soul hunters now.

Born To the Purple: B(-) - A good Lando episode. Bittersweet when you know what happens to her

Infection: D - Just not a good epsiode, move along folks

Parliament of dreams - B - on rewatching, I decided the actress who plays Catherine Sakai is a truly gorgeous women. That, and the plot is good.

Mind War - C - it good to see Bester, and his assistant that gets blown up is cute as heck. The actual plotline is weak.

The War Prayer - C - Yawn, didn't think much of this episode.

And the Sky Full of Stars - B - Much Better on reviewing. And I must say that it must of been a amazing episode for the era, as you didn't see that type of episode in that era.
Old October 2 2011, 03:41 PM   #2
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Yea, finally back, and rewatching Babylon 5

No comments on the pilot?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Which version of the pilot?
Old October 2 2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Yikes, forgot the pilot, will have to watch it next, it will be the one that comes with the movie pack.
Old October 2 2011, 04:21 PM   #5
stonester1
Rear Admiral

This show was astounding. Still my fav series of all time.
Old October 2 2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

It might be worth chasing down the original version sometime - if only to see what difference changing the music can make to a show.
Old October 2 2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

I saw the pilot on TV all those years ago, need to watch it sometime. Which version is thought of of being better in the pilot?
Old October 2 2011, 05:47 PM   #8
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Definitely JMS's re-edited version with Chris Franke's music and less gorilla bartender action. The original version is for completists only.
Old October 2 2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I bought the whole 90 disc (or whatever) boxed set early last year. Still stuck at season 3. It just doesn't wear well. I remember loving it when I first saw it too.
Old October 2 2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it hasn't aged as well as Deep Space Nine for general rewatchability, although the outstanding episodes, such as "Shattered Dreams", still hold up well IMO.
Old October 2 2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Jan
Commodore

Welcome back! Does that mean you never finished season 5? Oh, wow...

I've been thinking recently that I'm about to start another re-watch. It's like reading one of my 'old friend' books and never fails to grab me (though there are a few points I'll fast-forward through these days).

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2011, 07:38 PM   #12
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Jan wrote: View Post
Welcome back! Does that mean you never finished season 5? Oh, wow...

I've been thinking recently that I'm about to start another re-watch. It's like reading one of my 'old friend' books and never fails to grab me (though there are a few points I'll fast-forward through these days).

Jan
Yes Jan, never finished season 5, the last episode I saw was the Bester and girl from vacation episode. Since I never finished it I figured to start over
Old October 2 2011, 08:49 PM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Yeah, it hasn't aged as well as Deep Space Nine for general rewatchability, although the outstanding episodes, such as "Shattered Dreams", still hold up well IMO.
I dunno about that. I only watched it for the first time about 4 years ago, but I have since watched the whole series straight through about three or four times. I think it stands up incredibly well.
Old October 3 2011, 07:05 AM   #14
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I meant to type "Severed Dreams" not "Shattered Dreams". Maybe I do need to watch the series again.
Old October 3 2011, 12:32 PM   #15
Seven of Five
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
I dunno about that. I only watched it for the first time about 4 years ago, but I have since watched the whole series straight through about three or four times. I think it stands up incredibly well.
I agree. I only got into Babylon 5 when it was released on DVD here in the UK, and I've watched it four times I think. It's truly excellent. Sure some of the sets and SFX look a bit dated, and some of the acting is questionable, but the show had a small budget to work with.

And Distorted, this really is one of those shows that is a lot of fun to rewatch. Lots of little clues and foreshadowing that yo miss the first time around are more apparent. Of course you know (or up until that point in season five, at least) what happens to different characters, so it's good to see how they build towards the end of their respective arcs.