Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Your grade?
Divine 2 15.38%
Demigod 5 38.46%
Mortal 5 38.46%
Corpse 0 0%
Shade 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 14 2011, 02:36 AM   #16
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Re: IMMORTALS (11/11/11) - Grading and Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
The Lensman wrote: View Post
If you want an ass kicking, popcorn flick that is incredibly gorgeous....then go see it.
I am looking for light story that is full of CGI fun with action and adventure...and gore...pure escapist fun.

From what I have seen and heard (and I love Greek Mythology movies) I will like it!
By god, this movie was made for you! LOL!

It gets pretty gory, seriously so by the end. That aforementioned Aries scene is where I think the audience was like "Holy.....shiiiiiiiiit!"

I don't want to spoil that moment for you, but this is not for the kiddies!
Old November 14 2011, 02:50 AM   #17
Gojira
Commodore

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
If you want an ass kicking, popcorn flick that is incredibly gorgeous....then go see it.
I am looking for light story that is full of CGI fun with action and adventure...and gore...pure escapist fun.

From what I have seen and heard (and I love Greek Mythology movies) I will like it!
By god, this movie was made for you! LOL!

It gets pretty gory, seriously so by the end. That aforementioned Aries scene is where I think the audience was like "Holy.....shiiiiiiiiit!"

I don't want to spoil that moment for you, but this is not for the kiddies!

I saw a scene on youtube that was pretty gory. I loved both 300 and the new Clash of the Titans and this movie look like their love child so I am pretty certain I will like it.
Old November 14 2011, 04:00 AM   #18
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Mickey Rourke gave a creepy interview when promoting the movie
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2011, 08:49 PM   #19
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I just saw this. I liked it, didn't love it. The visual style of the film, Mickey Rourke, and Freida Pinto were the highpoints. I thought Cavill acquitted himself well enough, though I have to agree with Captain Canada's assessment. Theseus really didn't accomplish anything, except making it easier for Hyperion to release the Titans. Not sure if that's a bad thing though; it's certainly different than the uber badass 'Chosen One' that we get too much in movies these days it seems. Theseus was bad ass, he got the girl, but not everything went so swimmingly for him.

My major issue with this story was that things just seemed to happen because of coincidence a bit too much, or I found the plot-such as it was-incomprehensible at times. For one I felt how Theseus found the bow was too random, though I guess in hindsight the oracle presaged him finding the bow by telling Theseus to go back to bury his mother. I guess you can chalk it up to fate.

The gods' rationale for non-interference, really just Zeus's reasoning, didn't make much sense since he had already interferred so much in Theseus's development. And he did give the gods that out to not interfere as gods-but that didn't mean they couldn't interfere as men-which I was thinking they were going to do. In any event, I liked Immortals take on the gods better than the new Clash of the Titans. The anti-gods sentiment also felt more organic in this film than in Clash, and the gods felt more like the ones I read about in the mythology books.

Mickey Rourke did a fine job. I liked the big, bruiser king he played. I thought his motivation was simple and easy to get, and ultimately he accomplished his main goal of releasing the Titans.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2011, 09:08 PM   #20
nvek86
Commander

I'm surprised that I actually really liked this movie. Usually I prefer story over visuals, but this movie looked so great I can (mostly) forgive it for the weak story.

nvek86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2011, 12:43 AM   #21
DarKush
Rear Admiral

^
One thing they didn't do so well was differentiate between the gods. They called Athena and Zeus by name. Also Poseidon too I believe; though the trident gave him away. But for the others, it was hard figuring out who was who. I also wish that there had been more of them.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 06:52 PM   #22
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

Just saw this on DVD

There were about 5 greek gods shown in this movie, I think. Besides Zeus and Poseidon and Athen (who are specifically named), I thought it featured Apollo (the one who is killed by Zeus) and Ares.

I should have looked at the cast list at the end again to make sure.

I thought the story made little sense. Why is Theseus important? (As stated by another person, things pretty much don't seem to involve Theseus doing much). Why can't the Gods interfere? Why does Zeus actually kill Apollo when he is doing some minor-league interfering himself. Also, what exactly does that minor league interfering accomplish? While John Hurt is always good to see, I didn't really understand what Zeus hopes to accomplish.

I thought the embrace between Theseus and Hyperion was an interesting vision of the oracle - compared to how they ended up playing it later.

I agree with The Lensman that it was pretty clear who was inside the Bull and don't quite understand why Roger Ebert didn't get it.

While the visuals and the vision was pretty good, I don't really *see* what the movie was trying to *say* with the story. At the end, the war between the Gods and the Titans is ongoing and Acamas may be involved in a sequel. But it still didn't make sense story-wise to me. I kinda liked that they put Theseus in the heavens. It reminds me of some of the epic greek movies which ends with the hero leaving earth and becoming a "constellation of stars" (in other words, ascending to heaven, directly) for his heroic deeds.

Henry Cavill really worked on his body on this one. I want to see him as Supes! Think he will be awesome visually. But he does a really poor job with the rallying speech to the greeks.
Old June 4 2012, 10:26 PM   #23
nvek86
Commander

coolghoul wrote: View Post
There were about 5 greek gods shown in this movie, I think. Besides Zeus and Poseidon and Athen (who are specifically named), I thought it featured Apollo (the one who is killed by Zeus) and Ares.
Going by Wikipedia, it was Ares who got killed by Zeus and Apollo wasn't in the film. The sixth god is supposed to be Heracles.

The gods can't interfere because Zeus says so. His law prohibits the gods from using their powers (or revealing their nature) to help humans. So appearing as an old man and giving Theuses fighting lessons is ok, but killing humans in bullet-time is not.