Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 4 2011, 04:27 AM   #1
xortex
Commodore

Other series

What other sci-fi franchises would you like to see Trek become more like?

Someone said they were going to merge ENT with Dr. Who first season. I think that would have made it more popular.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 04:30 AM   #2
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile
Re: Other series

What is ENY?
Trek Lit Reviews (Star Trek: Seekers #2: Point of Divergence by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore - September 16th, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 04:41 AM   #3
JD
Admiral

Given the context, I'm assuming that's supposed to be ENT.
As for the question, I want to Trek to stay like Trek. I don't see a reason why it would need to be like another other franchise. Honestly, that's when things fail is when they try to hard to be like other stuff. Sure there can be stories done in the style of other things, like Articles of the Federation, but it's still secondary to the Trek elements.
Old November 4 2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Relayer1
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
Given the context, I'm assuming that's supposed to be ENT.
As for the question, I want to Trek to stay like Trek. I don't see a reason why it would need to be like another other franchise. Honestly, that's when things fail is when they try to hard to be like other stuff. Sure there can be stories done in the style of other things, like Articles of the Federation, but it's still secondary to the Trek elements.
I'd have written this if you hadn't...

Having said that, I wouldn't mind a new series going a little grittier in the way of new Galactica or Stargate Universe, but when all is said and done, it should be recognisable Trek.
Old November 4 2011, 02:47 PM   #5
bfollowell
Commander

xortex wrote: View Post
Someone said they were going to merge ENT with Dr. Who first season. I think that would have made it more popular.
No thank you!

I can't think of anything I'd dislike more.

Like everyone else said. Let's keep Trek, Trek, period.

- Byron
Old November 4 2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Agreed. I fell in love with Trek at a young age because it was Star Trek! I enjoy other shows for what they are, but I will always love Star Trek for what it is.
Trek Lit Reviews (Star Trek: Seekers #2: Point of Divergence by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore - September 16th, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 02:57 PM   #7
bbailey861
Admiral

If Trek were to become 'like' something else, then it wouldn't be Trek any more.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Russell T. Davies wanted to do a crossover episode, yes. But Enterprise was canceled before any real work was done on it. The episode likely would have gone in the "Boomtown" slot in Who's first season, so we missed out on Eccleston and Bakula chewing scenery together.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2011, 11:23 PM   #9
Reanok
Commodore

A Doctor who and Enterprise crossover book no thank you.I like Doctor who and Enterprise as seperate tv shows just not as a mashup story.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2011, 12:24 AM   #10
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
If Trek were to become 'like' something else, then it wouldn't be Trek any more.
Rubbish. That makes no more sense than saying if I dress like someone else I stop being me.
Old November 5 2011, 01:07 AM   #11
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Sandoval wrote: View Post
bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Rubbish. That makes no more sense than saying if I dress like someone else I stop being me.
His comment makes complete sense. The foundations that make up star trek was laid in the early 60s. Not many current sci fi franchises predate it. Sure Star Wars openned the door for its resurrection and showed the profit potential of science fiction but star trek is great the way it is. It is a show about exploration, new possibilities, and helps us gain a different perspective on current issues while showing us mankind can be better than it currently is. Trek does not need to improve or change upon that.
Old November 5 2011, 04:46 AM   #12
Cicero
Admiral

Horatio Hornblower comes to mind immediately; the series is sometimes more Star Trek-like than much of Star Trek. (Watching the ITV series from the turn of the millennium, it's striking how similar Kirk is to Hornblower, and how much Picard resembles Sir Edward Pellew/Admiral Cornwallis.)

From a science fiction point of view, many elements of Thomas Harlan's short (so far) In the Time of the Sixth Sun series would work well in the Star Trek universe. After the first season of TNG, there was very little of the stumbling across dangerous alien relics which so often characterized TOS (and was famously key to Forbidden Planet), but which Harlan's novels do very well.
Old November 5 2011, 05:00 AM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I tend to see quite a few people wanting Star Trek to be more like (nu)Battlestar Galactica or any kind of series that deals really only with intergalactic war on a huge scale.
Old November 5 2011, 05:13 AM   #14
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

^ I see that too. The problem with that is by the end of nu BSG, I was pretty disgusted with humanity. It was dark with many ammoral characters and corrupt politics. Trek should be showing us how much better mankind should be, something to strive for.

Though I felt VOY needed more darker moments and to seem like a more desperate plight, I liked that the characters for the most part remained good spirited. Mixing trek with BSG would be like following the Equinox crew.
Old November 5 2011, 09:31 AM   #15
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

What other sci-fi franchises would you like to see Trek become more like?
Star Trek.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
we missed out on Eccleston and Bakula chewing scenery together.
Actually, I was half-expecting ENT to finish with a "Quantum Leap" crossover.

And the movie "Master and Commander" had a script that woulda made a great ST movie.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote