Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old November 11 2011, 06:21 AM   #1
Wingsley
Commodore

The Corbomite Maneuver

This week marks the 45th anniversary of the TOS ep "The Corbomite Maneuver", which first aired on NBC on 10 Nov. 1966!

I love this little adventure, which was a great introduction to TOS. It was also a beautiful exposition of Federation deep space diplomacy. Clint Howard was irresistible as the "real" Balok.

Happy Birthday, "Corbomite"!
Old November 11 2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Captain Tracy
Commander

Re: The Corbomite Maneuver

NICE! Such a great episode!

It has all that early TREK charm which slowly got lost during the run,... like the whole exploring into deep unkonwn space with major uncertainty, the whole diplomacy and humanity at any cost, and leaving Bailey behind at his own request, as he is hungry to know other new and strange cultures,...

Great episode all around,... should have been the 2nd to last time the writers used the 'Starship Fly-Paper' gimmick though,... the space cheese buoy is one of the better thought-out ones.

One of the shows which really subscribed to the ideologies presented in the opening monologue: SPACE,.. The Final Frontier,.. ect, ect. you know the rest.

Awesome.
Old November 11 2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Despite its delayed airdate, this was the first post-pilot episode filmed, and thus is the debut of Dr. McCoy and Uhura, the debut of the familiar uniform design and color scheme, and the debut of Sulu as helmsman. (But probably not the debut of the modified Enterprise with the swirly nacelle caps, since the FX for episodes aired earlier would presumably have been finished earlier.)

"Corbomite" is also the first ST episode I ever saw, and still a personal favorite.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 04:08 PM   #4
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

You got that right! A real winner, right from the start.
TCM really has so many of the great qualities of the best of TOS, all in one eps.

None of this latter-day ST where they need 2+ seasons to establish goodness. TOS nailin' it from the get-go
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Lucky
Commander

This was a great episode. Definitely one of my faves.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Though not flawless, it is also a favorite of mine.
Old November 11 2011, 07:47 PM   #7
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

I really like this episode too - Spock is still "shouting" and, as mentioned earlier, it's McCoy's first episode.

"Come to Quark's, Quark's is fun, come right now, don't walk - RUN!" Quark
kirsten187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Alrik
Rear Admiral

One of my all time favorite Trek episodes. Just love it. Hmm, all of a sudden I have a craving for Tranya.
Alrik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Robert D. Robot
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
"Corbomite" is also the first ST episode I ever saw, and still a personal favorite.
"Corbomite" is also the first episode that I ever saw, too, although this fact still confuses me. Given my interest in "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and other such science fiction programs even at that time, I am not sure why I missed the episodes broadcast earlier that Fall. I suspect that my parents must have had something else they wanted to watch and I was overruled those nights. I am glad that they eventually gave in! I did not care for the face of Balok at the time, but I sure did like the green woman in the closing credits! One of my favorite episodes.
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 09:37 PM   #10
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

Hands down all time best episode of any Trek series. If someone has never seen Trek and you want to introduce them to the ideals of trek this is the episode.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 10:35 PM   #11
Wingsley
Commodore

According to Memory Alpha, Balok's "Tranya" drink was actually grapefruit juice. (Which Clint Howard hated.)
Old November 11 2011, 11:20 PM   #12
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Would it had killed NBC to run this episode in production order sequence, so it'd be 2nd as opposed to 10th?
Decades later they were still pulling that trick with equally good shows like HOMICIDE......while carelessly giving away key character's deaths in the process. Continuity meant nothing. Now NBC is in 6th place and I love it.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 12:42 AM   #13
Christopher
Writer

foxhot wrote: View Post
Would it had killed NBC to run this episode in production order sequence, so it'd be 2nd as opposed to 10th?
Part of the reason behind the airing order was network preference (they led with "The Man Trap" because it had a monster), but part of it was simple availability, since some episodes' post-production and effects work took longer than others. "Corbomite" had fairly elaborate visual effects, so it might've taken atypically long to complete them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 01:13 AM   #14
Harvey
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
foxhot wrote: View Post
Part of the reason behind the airing order was network preference (they led with "The Man Trap" because it had a monster), but part of it was simple availability, since some episodes' post-production and effects work took longer than others. "Corbomite" had fairly elaborate visual effects, so it might've taken atypically long to complete them.
They also wanted to alternate between planet-based and ship-based shows, which wasn't always reflected in the production order.

Still, I much prefer the production order, and wish the Blu-Rays had been released in that sequence. Maybe next time.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 01:58 AM   #15
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

The main reason was the dearth of air-ready episodes (same reason "Where No Man Has Gone Before" got pushed into service, despite the different uniforms, props, and cast). And of those few that were ready to air, the only one that didn't require any amount of background knowledge to fully appreciate (sorry, "Naked Time") or overly jokey (see ya later, "Mudd's Women"), or overly weird (wait your turn, "Charlie X" and "Enemy Within"), was the fairly standard, easy for new viewers to understand "Man Trap". Plus, it was the first episode where anyone actually died, which always (in the network executive mind) equals "excitement."
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote