Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 7 2014, 03:42 AM   #1
EnriqueH
Captain

TNG-DS9 Chronology

Ok, so I did a little research here, but no luck.

I'm getting ready to start Season 3 of TNG, so I'm a little early, but I still want to be ready:

I assume that you guys would recommend my following of the Star Trek Chronology Project for going back and forth between TNG and DS9?

I want to see the stories chronologically.
Old November 7 2014, 04:01 AM   #2
borgboy
Fleet Captain

Re: TNG-DS9 Chronology

I'm doing a massive Trek read/watch marathon, up to season two TNG and reading some of the novels written at that time. I'm planning to watch TNG and DS9, and later DS9 and Voyager, in order of the dates they were originally aired.
Old November 7 2014, 04:49 AM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I never really understood the desire to do this? The various series have very little story overlap.
Old November 7 2014, 04:56 AM   #4
EnriqueH
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
I never really understood the desire to do this? The various series have very little story overlap.
I want to see if it makes the experience more immersive. It's just a sort of experiment. I've already seen TNG through once before and I already saw DS9 seasons 1-3 some years back as well, so I thought I'd try watching TNG and DS9 overlapping just to spice it up.

I tried picking up DS9 from where I left off in Season 4, and kinda felt like I needed a refresher, but then I just decided to start all the way back with "The Cage".
Old November 7 2014, 05:25 AM   #5
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Memory-Alpha's timeline would probably help you out. Don't forget to mix in Voyager after TNG.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Bad Thoughts
Fleet Captain

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
I want to see if it makes the experience more immersive. It's just a sort of experiment. I've already seen TNG through once before and I already saw DS9 seasons 1-3 some years back as well, so I thought I'd try watching TNG and DS9 overlapping just to spice it up.

I tried picking up DS9 from where I left off in Season 4, and kinda felt like I needed a refresher, but then I just decided to start all the way back with "The Cage".
So you will watch Best of Both Worlds, stop the episode where the Wolf 359 begins, watch the opening minutes of Emissary, than continue watching BOBW?

Otherwise, it's chronological only from a production standpoint.
Bad Thoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2014, 07:30 PM   #7
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I want to see if it makes the experience more immersive.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, watching it first run it didn't make it any more immersive.
Old November 8 2014, 03:25 PM   #8
Praxius
Fleet Captain

For me, watching them through together does help make the overall Star Trek story / universe a bit better understood regarding how it all unfolds.

Though I don't typically watch it in any order pre-determined by anybody else, for me it makes sense to watch TNG right up to "Chain of Command PT 1 & 2" Then start Deep Space Nine and then go back and forth between both series an episode at a time as both Series aired an episode a week. So watching Chain of Command PT1, then PT2, Then DS9's first two episodes, then an episode of TNG, then DS9, and so on.

Any two part episodes would be watch together though with the exception of some of the later DS9 episodes where several merely carry on with a larger story for a while.... Which then I'd break them up with TNG.

Trying to figure out episodes based on exact Star Dates and such, that's just too much work and doesn't add much more for me than doing the above.

As for the opening scene of DS9 and Wolf 359, I just see it as what it was meant to be.... A flashback.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2014, 08:46 PM   #9
MacLeod
Admiral

Don't know if this is what you are after, episodes in stardate order

http://thestartrekchronologyproject.blogspot.co.uk/
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2014, 05:29 PM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

borgboy wrote: View Post
and reading some of the novels written at that time
This might make the "immersion" more complete if you can figure when the novel happened in the sequence of episodes, also add in any comics that took place inside the timeline.

Perhaps watch the TOS tribble episode just prior to watching the DS9 tribble episode?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2014, 06:06 AM   #11
Pere
Cadet

I want to see if it makes the experience more immersive.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, watching it first run it didn't make it any more immersive.
The original broadcast experience is always going to work a little differently, with episodes days or weeks apart in real time. Now, with DVD and streaming, we can watch successive episodes back to back, and they become more like acts in a very long movie: And so the Enterprise departed. Meanwhile, back at Deep Space Nine... The fact that the storylines only occasionally touch kind of works to enhance the sense of space between. It's a big galaxy (lots of different things going on at the same time), but it's all the same galaxy, if you follow me.
Pere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2014, 12:01 PM   #12
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

^ Be interesting to see Worf in a DS9 episode, followed by Worf in a TNG movie, followed by Worf in a DS9 episode.

And be sure to watch the part of the Voyager pilot that takes place on DS9.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2014, 05:57 AM   #13
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

There is an exception in DS9 Season 2 / TNG Season 7, where the Maquis thread bounces between the two shows (and ultimately gets picked up in VGR, of course).
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM   #14
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Memory-Alpha's timeline would probably help you out. Don't forget to mix in Voyager after TNG.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote