Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Retro Review: Elogium
By: Michelle Erica Green on Aug 28

Trek Swype Keyboard
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old August 7 2015, 11:30 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Retro Review: The 37s

Voyager finds a planet inhabited by descendants of human abductees from Earth. Plot Summary: Voyager discovers a Ford truck from early 20th...

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2015, 12:23 AM   #2
hux
Commodore

View hux's Twitter Profile
Re: Retro Review: The 37s

Always enjoyed this one.

That being said, I have a number of complaints. Firstly (as I've said on a number of 37's threads), I don't buy the idea that Earhart would stay behind. This is a woman whose entire life is about adventure and taking risks yet she (and the episode) decide to dismiss that whole glaring aspect of her character and have her choose to stay, settle down and presumably start juicing out babies. Earhart would not pass up the opportunity to explore space and (hopefully) see what a 24th century Earth looks like. Hell, just a few new faces on board would have been nice. A sense that there will be new crew coming onto Voyager on such a long journey as well as crew leaving for various reasons.

Secondly, nobody wants to stay behind? No one!? This is slightly easier to believe but rather than demonstrating that the crew are born explorers or even loyal and committed to the cause, it simply demonstrates that everyone on board is pretty confident they'll be getting home.

One of my major criticisms of Voyager has always been its failure to convince me that the crew will be travelling for seventy years. In fact, it fails to convince me that the crew even believe that they will be anywhere close to travelling that long. I mean, fair enough the show will only last seven seasons but the characters shouldn't know that. They should behave as though, yes we will be spending the rest of our lives on this ship. More families and relationships for example or in this case, crew members choosing to stay behind.

Also where are the Briori? These aliens are so hugely advanced that they could travel all the to Earth centuries ago yet were overthrown by a bunch of yokels? Couldn't they pick up some slave-labour from a much closer planet?

Also, was it just me (probably) or did anyone else think Karyn Berlin was somehow significant? When Evansville reveals that they're human, he gives his name then indicates to the woman and says "this is my colleague. Karyn Berlin" and the camera lingers on her face as though the name Karyn Berlin should mean something. I thought maybe she was supposed to be descended from another famous 37er. That always bugged me.

Anyway, good episode.
Old August 8 2015, 03:41 PM   #3
Terok Nor
Lieutenant Commander

I've always been fascinated by the mystery of Earhart's disappearance and I have to say I liked what the writers did here. The actress who played Earhart was fantastic in the role. Nice to see Voyager land for the first time too.
Terok Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2015, 12:12 AM   #4
stardream
Lieutenant Commander

I admit I sometimes select this episode just to watch them land the ship.

I also liked the final 'Captain on the Bridge Scene.'.
stardream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Catarina
Fleet Captain

I'm too tired to articulate in a mature way so I'll just say, I second what Hux said.

I love this one. Even if it does seem silly that Janeway is using a tricorder and pulling from her Indiana roots to explain what the smell is LOL.
Catarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2015, 05:07 PM   #6
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

hux wrote: View Post
Always enjoyed this one.

That being said, I have a number of complaints. Firstly (as I've said on a number of 37's threads), I don't buy the idea that Earhart would stay behind. This is a woman whose entire life is about adventure and taking risks yet she (and the episode) decide to dismiss that whole glaring aspect of her character and have her choose to stay, settle down and presumably start juicing out babies. Earhart would not pass up the opportunity to explore space and (hopefully) see what a 24th century Earth looks like. Hell, just a few new faces on board would have been nice. A sense that there will be new crew coming onto Voyager on such a long journey as well as crew leaving for various reasons.

Absolutely agree. This what was the epic fail of this episode.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2015, 10:09 PM   #7
Lynx
Vice Admiral

An episode that have its good moments.

The main plot where Voyager happens to run into descendants of humans who were abducted from Earth in the 20th century including Amelia Earhardt is actually too unrealistic.

Still an interesting perspective with those humans in the Delta Quadrant. The scene when Janeway enters the Cargo Bay to say goodbye to those who have decided to remain on the planet and there's no one there who wants to leave is one of Voyager's finest moments.

I'll give it 3 points out of 5

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote