Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 29 2012, 03:57 AM   #76
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

Dream wrote: View Post
Kevin Feige Says IRON MAN Could Go the James Bond Route and Change Actors If Necessary

http://collider.com/kevin-feige-iron...s-bond/162415/
Kevin Feige said:
“I think Bond is a good example. Let’s put it this way: I hope Downey makes a lot of movies for us as Stark. If and when he doesn’t, and I’m still here making these movies, we don’t take him to Afghanistan and have him wounded again. I think we James Bond it.”
As much as I hope that Downey sticks around for Avengers 2 and way beyond, I think that given the inter-connected nature of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, re-casting would be the better choice than a re-boot. We've already survived re-casting of Rhodey and Bruce Banner.
Old April 29 2012, 03:57 AM   #77
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

That's a good idea as noted in the article a rebooted character would stand in contrast to those already in some established state. I would say just treat it as a new creative team coming in at issue #36 but the industry has been sloppy the last 15yrs and rebooting with #1's has been their methodology but even then the #1's aren't actually origin stories, which is why the #1 is really a ruse to get the idiots who think #1 means groundfloor.

The new Amazing Spider-man should've done this. Especially considering most of the principles were in the last film that general audiences saw. They are likely to be confused cause they see it as a 4, not a new #1!! LOL
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 04:06 AM   #78
Skywalker
Admiral

I hope that even if Downey doesn't do anymore solo films after IM3, he sticks around for two more Avengers movies. But I can understand if he decides to hang up the armor sooner than later, given his age and perhaps not wanting to return to the same well too many times.

I think I'd prefer recasting over rebooting, too, but I don't know who could be a viable successor to Downey as Iron Man. Maybe Colin Farrell? (Joking. )
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 04:32 AM   #79
Aragorn
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I think I'd prefer recasting over rebooting, too, but I don't know who could be a viable successor to Downey as Iron Man. Maybe Colin Farrell? (Joking. )
Any other 80s stars out there who survived a rough 90s? Rob Lowe? Charlie Sheen?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 05:24 AM   #80
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Rob Lowe? Not a bad choice

I was sort of under the impression that a reboot could come in 6 or 7 years.

I think a younger Tony Stark would be obvious.

The material the reboot would be based on would be the Ultimates Iron Man.
Old April 29 2012, 07:16 AM   #81
captcalhoun
Admiral

as long as it's Ultimates Iron Man and not Ultimate Iron Man the Orson Scott Card LS which made little sense and Mark Millar retconned in universe into a crazy cartoon from Mexico or something
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 07:17 AM   #82
Aldo
Admiral

Without spoiling it too much for those who may want to read it one day. What exactly made it so crazy? I'm kind of curious.
Old April 29 2012, 08:12 AM   #83
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

RDJ's contract expires after "Iron Man 3" I believe. If Marvel Studios wants to use him for future films after next year they will have to negotiate again, and as we already know, that sometimes doesn't quite work out.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 12:11 PM   #84
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I don't think he'd be a bad choice, actually. Like Downey, and of course Stark, he's had his addiction demons. And he's lived the whole playboy lifestyle too.
Old April 29 2012, 12:24 PM   #85
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

to be honest, i'd think he'd be crazy to break away from this... the Iron Man series has given him a new lease on his career... i think he should stick with it for as long as they want him

M
Old April 29 2012, 12:54 PM   #86
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I don't think he'd be crazy to walk away from the role. He'll have done four movies (plus a cameo in The Incredible Hulk so five which is I believe full filling his five picture deal now) after "Iron Man 3" so as much as he might be grateful for the role reviving his career, he might want to move on to other things. It'll be interesting to see. I can't see him leaving though. He could sign a new two or three picture deal or something or have some kind of appearance clause included.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 01:04 PM   #87
Wereghost
Someone's dog

RDJ's agent would be in a pretty strong negotiating position for Avengers 2, I think. I can easily see Marvel being somewhat generous but making it part of a three-movie package including Avengers 3 and Iron Man 4. After that, maybe they'll do a semi-reboot. Lowe might have made a good choice but that ship has sailed as he'd be in his fifties by then. Wouldn't bet against Colin Farrell.
Old April 29 2012, 01:14 PM   #88
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I think it's a given we'll at least get an Avengers 2 out of RDJ. I'm not buying age as a factor as it's not like he's actually in the suit flying around.

If push comes to shove though, recast all the way. Rebooting Iron-Man will mean rebooting Thor, Captain America, Hulk etc
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 01:49 PM   #89
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Whatever role he's in, Farrell always looks grubby and seedy to me, I couldn't buy him as Tony Stark. I also couldn't buy the idea that he was a genius, the suspension of disbelief would be too high for me.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2012, 07:13 PM   #90
captcalhoun
Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
Without spoiling it too much for those who may want to read it one day. What exactly made it so crazy? I'm kind of curious.
OSC re-wrote Tony's origin so that he was a weird-ass freaky experiment-gone wrong with brain tissue through his whole body, so he was literaly a walking brain and he was in constant pain and had to be coated in this weird blue 'armour' paint to avoid feeling pain and he could regrow his limbs like *#&$ing Wolverine.

it totally contradicted the origin Brian Bendis wrote for Ultimate Stark in Ultimate Marvel Team-Up and didn't really add anything to the character.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote