Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 21 2012, 11:18 PM   #496
JD
Admiral

Re: Iron Man 3 Discussion/Photos/ETC.

That was enough to get me really looking forward to the full trailer on Tuesday.
Old October 21 2012, 11:32 PM   #497
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

JD wrote: View Post
That was enough to get me really looking forward to the full trailer on Tuesday.
Agreed, armor not included. I'm guessing that the guy with the ponytail/mohawk (which is a nice touch for a guy who might have Sino-Russo heritage) is the Mandarin.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 11:38 PM   #498
Dream
Admiral

I hope we get to see a drunk Tony in the armor flying into buildings while drunk.
Old October 21 2012, 11:42 PM   #499
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Dream wrote: View Post
I hope we get to see a drunk Tony in the armor flying into buildings while drunk.
Agreed.

If there's one thing that never gets through in these films it's that Tony's supposed to be an alcoholic. IM2 toyed with going for a Demon in the Bottle route, but the only thing close to intoxication there was the "digital neck tattoo".

The drinking scene/Ro-Bro-Brawl didn't indicate anything more than "Well, I'm going to die anyway, MIGHT AS WELL GET SHITFACED!" Plus, the effect of the palladium didn't really intoxicate Stark at all, which makes the entire plot thread meaningless other than running down the clock and providing the barest of excuses for Rhodey to get the Mark 2.

Speaking of which, what's the rationale for Tony to have half a dozen extra arc reactors just sitting in his suits all the time? I know that he wanted Rhodes to have the Mk.2, but in IM2 and the Avengers the suits are just sitting with reactors in them. For a guy who walks around with a reactor getting snuggly with his heart 24/7, why does he have a bunch of extras chilling in the suits?

EDIT: Unless the effects work isn't done, it looks like someone on the IM3 staff finally noticed this, because in the shot of the Mark VIII in the Armoire, the chests are turned off!

Old October 21 2012, 11:54 PM   #500
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

It will probably be CGI'd in

Notice that the Mark IV glass case has a hole it. The helmet has also been knocked off.

From the Comic Con trailer description. Last part being what we see in the pre-teaser.

http://collider.com/comic-con-iron-man-3-panel/178379/

- We open with Iron Man putting on his new suit that he can summon through force of will (I believe this is the Extremis armor, but I don’t want to officially call it that). He has some pieces that don’t want to behave, and they start zipping around the room, smashing into things (Tony included), and he gets slammed with some pieces in his nuts and in his back, with the mask the last piece ready to strike. “I’m not scared of you,” Stark says defiantly to the hovering mask. The mask charges, Tony dose a sweet flip, the mask clicks on, Iron Man sticks the landing, and strikes a bad ass pose. Then the Marvel logo comes up.
So there's the "Extermis" angle.

Iron Man suit parts that can fly to Stark

Probably no biological aspects. Just magnetics
Old October 22 2012, 12:00 AM   #501
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Probably no biological aspects. Just magnetics
You still haven't read the books, have you?

Old October 22 2012, 12:10 AM   #502
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

The books?

I was just saying that this will be how one part of the "Extermis" arc is utilized in the 3rd movie.

Stark probably won't inject himself with a bioweapon like in the comic.

For the movie he'll use something else to will the parts to him.
Old October 22 2012, 04:09 AM   #503
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

He was halfway there in The Avengers anyway, with the folded-up Mk VII flying to him and deploying around him based on the Q-ray bracelets he was wearing.

In the comics, his "Renaissance Armor" of the late 90s or so folded up into a similar flying turd which could home in on his watch, and would unfold and envelop him in a similar fashion. The floating armor pieces we see described above is actually pre-Extremis, though the Extremis made it telepathically-controlled. So, it's not brand-new an may not involve Tony turning himself all neo-cyberpunk on us.

http://www.ironmanarmory.com/Armors.html

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 06:00 AM   #504
T'Baio
Admiral

That's a great page. I'm a fan of the Silver Centurion suit. Those were the days I was a religious devotee to Iron Man.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 07:04 AM   #505
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
He was halfway there in The Avengers anyway, with the folded-up Mk VII flying to him and deploying around him based on the Q-ray bracelets he was wearing.

In the comics, his "Renaissance Armor" of the late 90s or so folded up into a similar flying turd which could home in on his watch, and would unfold and envelop him in a similar fashion. The floating armor pieces we see described above is actually pre-Extremis, though the Extremis made it telepathically-controlled. So, it's not brand-new an may not involve Tony turning himself all neo-cyberpunk on us.

http://www.ironmanarmory.com/Armors.html

Mark
Well, yeah.

Except this film is stated to be based on the Extremis storyline, which you should actually read at some point so we're all on the same page.

Old October 22 2012, 01:17 PM   #506
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

True, understood, and I have. Point being that even though it's BASED on the Extremis story, doesn't mean that it has to actually involve the Extremis compound and its effects. The movies have already taken plenty of liberties with the character and technologies from the comics, and we won't know for a while yet that Tony will at some point dose himself with the stuff instead of (as is closer to the comics personality) invent his way out of a situation.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 02:25 PM   #507
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

First official stills:

Obviously the helicopters coming to blow up Stark's home. I hope "Ride of the Valkyrie" is played

War Machine/ Iron Patriot

Last edited by Samurai8472; October 22 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 02:55 PM   #508
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
True, understood, and I have. Point being that even though it's BASED on the Extremis story, doesn't mean that it has to actually involve the Extremis compound and its effects. The movies have already taken plenty of liberties with the character and technologies from the comics, and we won't know for a while yet that Tony will at some point dose himself with the stuff instead of (as is closer to the comics personality) invent his way out of a situation.

Mark
I understand that, though given the plot of the film, I'm disappointed that we aren't getting the AWESOME transhuman discussion that makes Extremis a must-read for modern literature. Ellis is great at that stuff.

Old October 22 2012, 02:55 PM   #509
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
War Machine/ Iron Patriot

God damn, War Patriot looks great, though I really hope that ditch the paint by the end.

In any case, I'm glad they gave WM a distinct armor design, rather than just overbuilt a Mark II. And it may be just me, but good riddance with the nix of the Gatling gun. When you're stuffed with repulsors, a mounted Gatling looks like a peashooter. I'm betting on the new turret being a beam canon of some kind.

Old October 22 2012, 03:45 PM   #510
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

USA Today article. Still brings up the idea from Feige that Stark will "go back to the cave"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...ey-jr/1639465/

"In this movie, we are again going to see him stripped down more than we've ever seen him since he was in that cave, again with his back against the wall and with nothing but his wits to help him survive."

The flying Iron Man pieces inspired by the "Extermis" arc

Seven Iron Man suits in total have been seen in two Iron Man movies and The Avengers, but the all-new one in Iron Man 3 represents the most advanced version yet - particularly in how Tony Stark suits up. In the first movie, Tony had to stand in a gantry for five to 10 minutes to get fully armored, he had a lightweight "suitcase" suit for the second film, and in The Avengers a big coffin-sized case could fly out after him in midair and encase him in his high-tech armor. "Now we see he's invented a technology that allows him to basically have the suit arrive to him anywhere at any time, piece by piece," Feige says. "And it doesn't always work at first."
That last part made me chuckle considering what we've seen so far. Should be pretty funny to see.

Full trailer will be out Tuesday at 12:01 am