Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 16 2011, 06:11 PM   #76
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
I'm sure this doesn't affect most people here, but apparently this game is basically unplayable if you have a standard definition TV. I read some reviews over at amazon that said with SD a lot of the HUD won't display. Maybe that's just their console settings, though.
Epic fail, if true. Wow.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 06:17 PM   #77
Byronic
Ensign

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
I'm sure this doesn't affect most people here, but apparently this game is basically unplayable if you have a standard definition TV. I read some reviews over at amazon that said with SD a lot of the HUD won't display. Maybe that's just their console settings, though.
Thats also true of Mass Effect 2, or at least was when it was first released....
Byronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 07:23 PM   #78
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

people still have CRT televisions?

in other news, a cool thing happened when I was playing last night
there's a place called Bard's Leap Summit and there's a huge waterfall and some ancient Nord ruins at the top, the Bard's Leap is a wood plank out over the edge
if you jump down and survive a ghostly bard shows up and says something like "it's been a long time since someone's made the jump and lived, look what happened to me blah blah blah"
and then you get points to speechcraft

just another in a long line of 'wow!' moments

Last edited by backstept; November 16 2011 at 07:57 PM.
backstept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 09:50 PM   #79
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

I just started playing last night for the first time. Holy moly, this game is fantastic. I warned my wife that she won't be seeing her husband for a while ...
Old November 17 2011, 09:00 PM   #80
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

one of the best things is the variety in the dungeons
yeah, they still use a lot of the same building blocks, but unlike Oblivion they're all different
and they're great fun to explore
Old November 18 2011, 08:35 AM   #81
Newton
Lieutenant Commander

If anyone who is playing the PC version is suffering from lags, slowdowns, and/or mouse control issues, follow this link for a fix (if not quite a fix, it's a substantial improvement):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2AJDJ8sOfQ

It seems that Bethesda really screwed up the port to the PC, but these steps will improve things immensely.

If this helped you, spread the word!
Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2011, 12:31 PM   #82
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Having more fun with the game now that I've given up on playing it normally and started using the developers console. But I was annoyed with how the useless the horse was so I increased my walking speed. I also became annoyed with dealing with encumbrance so I increased my carry capacity. All in all, more entertaining so far. But beyond that I switched to stealth and archery so change it up from the tedious hand to hand combat.
Old November 19 2011, 12:01 AM   #83
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral

Im enjoying it, but I get burnt out if I do more than two quests a day. So work, kill shitz, then code.

II must add I love the theme music much better than oblivion which I didn't think i would. The intro and ending are so much worse than oblivion though.
Old November 19 2011, 01:24 PM   #84
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Was loving this last night, then I encountered a giant spider down in some dark, dank tomb, and almost very nearly shit my pants.......!

Why did it have to be giant spiders?! Nooooooooooo!
Old November 19 2011, 03:21 PM   #85
Shurik
Fleet Captain

I love this game. I haven't been so strongly addicted to an RPG game since Fallout 3.

I love how much freedom there is in the game. I went to some place to do a quest, then wandered around to see what's else in the area, got into Whitehelm, went into a bar, got into drinking contest with some guy and woke up on the opposite side of the map. If this wasn't enough, there's a conspiracy in the city I woke up in, and solving it got me arrested and imprisoned with a life sentence (it was either that or fighting ~25 city guards).

And this game is also damn beautiful even when played not on the highest graphics level (I play on High, with most of the bells and whistles turned on).
Old November 19 2011, 03:25 PM   #86
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

I discovered a reference to Star Trek TNG while playing yesterday - a character named Temba Wide-Arm.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 07:27 PM   #87
StolenThunder
Poster

I've played a few hours. Mostly a bit of wandering about, with the occasional change of getting owned by something or other. Playing pretty casually though - at most an hour or a single side quest/quest at a time.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2011, 09:27 PM   #88
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Today I fought some vampires, Killed a dragon, and started the "Hangover" quest...

And Markarth is gorgeous...
Old November 20 2011, 06:16 AM   #89
clint g
Admiral

Anyone remember this contest?

Remember Bethesda's strange promise to give any parent free access to its games for life if they happen to give birth on 11/11/11 and name their child Dovahkiin? I had forgotten about the bizarre Skyrim contest too, but Megan and Eric Kellermeyer sure took note. The couple are now the proud parents of Dovahkiin Tom Kellermeyer... and winners of the competition.
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-scrolls-v/1212984p1.html

epic lolz lol:
Old November 20 2011, 06:35 AM   #90
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Brandonv wrote: View Post
I discovered a reference to Star Trek TNG while playing yesterday - a character named Temba Wide-Arm.
Ok, that's just brilliant. Such a subtle reference that only incredible nerds like us are going to get.