Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 14 2011, 04:39 AM   #61
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

this game is everything I wanted in an Elder Scrolls game.
the dragons are absolutely amazing
Old November 14 2011, 07:59 PM   #62
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

gotta say, the shouts are one of the coolest things about the game
FUS RO DAH!!!!!
YOL TOOR SHUL!!!!!!

hahahaha
Old November 14 2011, 09:46 PM   #63
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Re: Skyrim

Reverend wrote: View Post
How does it compare to Oblivion? I ask because despite hearing great things and picking up the GOTY edition on Steam, I could never really get into it.
I'm only in the beginning of Skyrim, but I like it more than Oblivion. I never could get into it too.

Morrowind is still the best in the series.
Old November 14 2011, 11:37 PM   #64
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Re: Skyrim

Reverend wrote: View Post
How does it compare to Oblivion? I ask because despite hearing great things and picking up the GOTY edition on Steam, I could never really get into it.
It better then Oblivion, much less Generic.
Old November 15 2011, 12:52 AM   #65
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Is it possible that the interface problems come from the fact that the game may have been originally designed for console use and was ported over to PC without thinking it through? Star Trek Legacy REALLY had problems with that. Hell, I even found an XBox controller picture in the PC version of the game. No Blue "B" buttons on my keyboard that I'm aware of. I think I gave up on PC games after that.
It's not just "possible," that's exactly what it is. Oblivion had a fair amount of "consolitis" and apparently Skyrim is even worse. Game devs just don't have the time and resources to devote to PC ports anymore, when consoles are where the real money is made. Unless a game is tailor-made for PC, you should pretty much expect it to have a console-oriented interface.
This just adds to my frustration with the game. I feel like I'm almost getting trolled by the company with how poorly everything is localized for PC use. It's almost a mini game to figure out if the game wants me to click on something or hit enter, and every time I feel like they're saying "fuck you pc user!" I get consoles get a bulk of the money, but come on! How do you actually get worse at something like this?

What also makes it worse is I just finished Deus Ex which has almost no consolitis problems in the interface. I really hope someone makes a mod that creates a usable menu system.
Old November 15 2011, 02:01 AM   #66
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

I am on the PC and have no issues with the layout, its kinda eligant.

And I had to run away from "Kenevil the tongue" or something, he was beating the crap out of me, I will return when more powerful. Never happened in unmodded Oblivion.
Old November 15 2011, 03:26 AM   #67
superdeluxe
Captain

Really loving this on the Xbox dual flame Mage so far

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2011, 07:35 AM   #68
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

backstept wrote: View Post
FUS RO DAH!!!!!
YOL TOOR SHUL!!!!!!
I keep waiting for my character to go MUAAAA'DIB!
Old November 15 2011, 03:22 PM   #69
Happenstance
Ensign

View Happenstance's Twitter Profile

Its funny, I played the start of both Morrowind and Oblivion and could never really get into either but im loving Skyrim so far.
Happenstance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 02:04 AM   #70
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I'm trying to decide if I want to get Skyrim.... I got Oblivion, but like many others, was never really able to get into it. I just got..... bored. However, I'm thinking about trying it out again now that I see how many people are calling it an improvement over Oblivion.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 04:37 AM   #71
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
backstept wrote: View Post
FUS RO DAH!!!!!
YOL TOOR SHUL!!!!!!
I keep waiting for my character to go MUAAAA'DIB!
If you have a PC, I am sure someone will make a mod for that....

Should summon a sand worm or something.
Old November 16 2011, 12:04 PM   #72
Newton
Lieutenant Commander

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Is it possible that the interface problems come from the fact that the game may have been originally designed for console use and was ported over to PC without thinking it through? Star Trek Legacy REALLY had problems with that. Hell, I even found an XBox controller picture in the PC version of the game. No Blue "B" buttons on my keyboard that I'm aware of. I think I gave up on PC games after that.
It's not just "possible," that's exactly what it is. Oblivion had a fair amount of "consolitis" and apparently Skyrim is even worse. Game devs just don't have the time and resources to devote to PC ports anymore, when consoles are where the real money is made. Unless a game is tailor-made for PC, you should pretty much expect it to have a console-oriented interface.
This just adds to my frustration with the game. I feel like I'm almost getting trolled by the company with how poorly everything is localized for PC use. It's almost a mini game to figure out if the game wants me to click on something or hit enter, and every time I feel like they're saying "fuck you pc user!" I get consoles get a bulk of the money, but come on! How do you actually get worse at something like this?

What also makes it worse is I just finished Deus Ex which has almost no consolitis problems in the interface. I really hope someone makes a mod that creates a usable menu system.
Don't worry; there are mods for a decent PC interface on the way. I'll be happy to announce them on this thread when they arrive.
Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 12:07 PM   #73
Skywalker
Admiral

See, that's why I'm leaning towards waiting until I get a new PC before I play Skyrim. The modding community simply rules.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2011, 05:37 PM   #74
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

I'm sure this doesn't affect most people here, but apparently this game is basically unplayable if you have a standard definition TV. I read some reviews over at amazon that said with SD a lot of the HUD won't display. Maybe that's just their console settings, though.
Old November 16 2011, 05:58 PM   #75
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Don't know about the PlayStation or WII, but XBox automatically adjusts for the kind of TV being used. I'm thinking it's more of a simple issue of resolution. Either that, or the developers screwed up the HUD location and didn't take screen size into account.