Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 4 2012, 12:44 AM   #196
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
My main criticisms with the game are the compass, map and marker systems. With the map being 3D, it's often frustrating when you want to make a custom marker, as it will mark the absolute location rather than locking onto a location icon. The location will drift away as you move the map around making it almost impossible to be accurate in placing your marker. Would have preferred if they'd also have a static map that you could switch between, like 3D, Static and Local.
There are some mods you can download to improve the map. I use this one, myself in combination with the no clouds add-on to make the map easier to read. You can also tweak it to look directly down on the ground, instead of the angle it has by default.
Old February 4 2012, 02:34 AM   #197
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

My main criticisms with the game are the compass, map and marker systems. With the map being 3D, it's often frustrating when you want to make a custom marker, as it will mark the absolute location rather than locking onto a location icon. The location will drift away as you move the map around making it almost impossible to be accurate in placing your marker. Would have preferred if they'd also have a static map that you could switch between, like 3D, Static and Local.
Wow. You're easy to please. Bethesda loves people like you.

My main criticisms with the games are that it has the worst character levelling system I've ever encountered. Walk everywhere in a crouch. Boom. Sneak at 100%. Cast Muffle and Iron Skin every 3-5 minutes. Boom. Illusion and Alteration at 100%. Kill every critter you seen, tan their hides and smith leather boots and bracers. Boom. Smithing at 100%. Etc, etc, etc.

And even on Master level difficulty the game is a breeze. It's too easy to make yourself a god with smithing and enchanting without even resorting to the fortify restoration potion cheats. The only combat difficulty comes from the occasional ancient dragon. For a challenge, I run around in boots, braces and a helm with no armour. Then, I at least have a chance of taking some damage.

I'm not even going to touch the piss poor writing and the fact that this is just one more hack and slash pretending to be an rpg.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 03:16 AM   #198
Mr Light
Admiral

Walk around crouching all the time, you say....? Interesting.

Another random dragon encounter. It happened right next to a town so I ran to the town wall, and the guards actually killed it for me!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 04:09 AM   #199
Josan
Commodore

While I agree with the concept of levelling in the game, that the more you use the skill, the better it gets, the execution makes it far too easy. I did two playthroughs of the game and in my second, I hit the same level in half the time by just doing what I described in my above post.
Old February 4 2012, 04:12 AM   #200
Skywalker
Admiral

For someone like me, who doesn't really care about grinding for XP to level up and just wants to enjoy the game, a simple leveling system like Bethesda's is a godsend.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 04:25 AM   #201
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Canadave wrote: View Post
There are some mods you can download to improve the map. I use this one, myself in combination with the no clouds add-on to make the map easier to read. You can also tweak it to look directly down on the ground, instead of the angle it has by default.

Unfortunately, I'm playing the PS3 version.

Josan wrote: View Post
Wow. You're easy to please. Bethesda loves people like you.
Well, I DO have other criticisms, but I wouldn't want to clog the thread with all of them. But here's one. I don't think it was a great idea to make dragons a random mob. I think that, as epic as the game is, fighting dragons should be a special experience, but they've devalued the experience of fighting them by making them just like any ordinary mob.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; February 4 2012 at 04:49 AM.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 07:30 AM   #202
Canadave
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
For someone like me, who doesn't really care about grinding for XP to level up and just wants to enjoy the game, a simple leveling system like Bethesda's is a godsend.
I agree. I normally get fed up with RPGs because I never want to invest the time to make my character strong enough to finish the game. Skyrim, so far, is different.

Canadave wrote: View Post

Unfortunately, I'm playing the PS3 version.
Too bad. There are some fantastic mods out there. I have a lot of fun with my custom swords pack.
Old February 4 2012, 09:23 AM   #203
billcosby
Commodore

Can anyone confirm that the 360 version has 3rd person perspective? I can't find this.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 09:26 AM   #204
BigFoot
Admiral

^ I know the PS3 version does.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 12:04 PM   #205
Josan
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Uh... grinding IS how you level up in Skyrim.
Old February 4 2012, 10:03 PM   #206
Mr Light
Admiral

Well, that was weird. I discovered a castle with a dragon symbol on the map. I went up to the top of the tower, starting a dragon fight. After the dragon got to like 25% health, it flew down to the bottom of the tower and just sat on the ground motionlessly. I shot arrows at it until it died. Was that a glitch?

Old February 5 2012, 12:36 AM   #207
Canadave
Vice Admiral

I had a crazy random encounter today. Two dragons, (one normal, one blood dragon) attacked me at once, and then began fighting one another. I ended up fighting the blood dragon after it killed the other dragon, and had it mostly dead when I was attacked by a bear. I killed the blood dragon, but was down to my last bit of health and wasn't sure I had enough left in me to take out the bear, when I was saved by a stray dog that came along and killed it for me.
Old February 6 2012, 05:02 AM   #208
Mr Light
Admiral

Y'know, I wanted to be a magic based character, but I don't like how the spells work. The constant flame/lighting attack is too weak, and the one you charge up to release I can't hit the broad side of a barn with. I'm consistently forced to rely on my 2 handed sword. I did get a cool one, though. It has 35 damage and sets the victim on fire!

Old February 6 2012, 07:30 AM   #209
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Just happened to come across this. Rather beautiful:

She also does a rather beautiful cover of Age of Agression.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 02:15 PM   #210
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Well, that was weird. I discovered a castle with a dragon symbol on the map. I went up to the top of the tower, starting a dragon fight. After the dragon got to like 25% health, it flew down to the bottom of the tower and just sat on the ground motionlessly. I shot arrows at it until it died. Was that a glitch?
when they get low on health they land because they're 'too tired to fly'
sometimes they also do a crash landing