Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 27 2013, 01:43 PM   #151
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: GTA V Announced

Yeah, the plane's are a pain.

QCzar wrote: View Post
I love switching to Trevor. He often seems to have been doing something wacky. And I especially like that whatever it was is left to your imagination.
My favorite Trevor switch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEHXXcW1i8s
Which is a tribute to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxKj_CmtHRI
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 03:18 PM   #152
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Have you guys read about the Mt Chiliad mystery? There's a mysterious mural at the cable-car station on Mt Chiliad that shows a flying saucer, a cracked egg, and what appears to be a guy on a jet pack. What's more, flying saucers appear hidden at specific points of the map, most noticeably the one that appears off the summit of Mt Chiliad at 3am on a rainy night, but only if you achieved 100% completion.

After all the crazy conspiracies that players theorised about in San Andreas, it appears that Rockstar have decided to include a real one this time.
Old September 27 2013, 05:02 PM   #153
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

There is also a ghost somewhere, the wife of a movie-star who presumably got killed by her husband, the news on the ingame radio mentons some kind of breakthrough in the very old case...
Old September 27 2013, 09:01 PM   #154
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

the map has to do with a quest to get some flying saucer parts, and the ghost is part of a quest to find 50 pages and solve her mystery (I've only found one page, it was under a bridge you go through in that Michael mission where he has his daughter on the back of a jet-ski)
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2013, 11:01 PM   #155
QCzar
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to QCzar Send a message via Yahoo to QCzar

I'm amazed at the amount of detail they've packed into V. The city really feels alive. While the attention to detail is a hallmark of R*, this just takes the cake. I'll name only a few (which will seem like a lot, but relatively speaking, really isn't):

• Wet clothes (that get wet only where they come into contact with water).
  • Peoples' hair getting wet in the rain.
  • GPS going out in tunnels.
  • Peds commenting on your car after you get it upgraded (and snapping photos with their smartphones no less).
  • Cops continuing to look for you even after you lose all wanted stars (only happens occasionally, but still).
  • The Movies (I was surprised how captivating "Loneliest Robot in Great Britain" was)
  • Car tires kicking up whatever loose material is under them (including blood if it's a person).
  • The facebook knockoff (LifeInvader).
  • Rain that doesn't clip into covered areas and forms puddles.
  • Scars that stay with the character even after you exit the hospital.
  • Weasel News reporting on events in your missions (and occasionally dropping important hints).
  • All of the water effects in the game being realistic, including fountains.
  • Cars making clicking noises as the engine cools after being turned off.
  • People telling you that they're going to call the cops and then actually doing it (crazy!)
  • Functioning equiptment at the docks.
  • The soundscape.
  • City lights light up the sky (when there are low clouds, that is) a distinctive orange-ish color that every city dweller will recognize.
  • Trevor hating (and promptly switching away from) any pop music.
  • Trevor.

It'll probably take a long time to notice everything (if that's even possible) when the devs put so much into it. I was still discovering 'little' things in GTA IV just this past summer. I don't know about you guys, but those little details are one of the major pros of the GTA series for me.

At this rate GTA VI is just going to be live action Google Streetview.
QCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 05:57 AM   #156
Darth Duck
Commodore

I spent five hours playing, I accomplished so few missions but I explored the hell out of that map. And I managed to convince my gf to pick up a copy too. I love this game already.

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Some advice: Don't try to climb Mt Chiliad in a pickup truck, use a dirt-bike. And be wary, those ninja cougars from RDR are all over the mountains.
I did it in a Bandit (I think, fast sports car, at least) and did it no problem, really. Ran over a cougar or two, and shot a bunch of hikers.
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 06:38 AM   #157
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I did the flight school missions, and I didn't have any trouble with the planes, it was the helicopters that were a major pain in the ass. I don't get motion sick easily, but I was coming pretty close during those helicopter tutorials.

I finally got to the infamous torture scene. To me at least, the players forced participation just emphasized the nastiness of it in ways that don't come across in other mediums where the audience is a passive observer.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2013, 07:39 AM   #158
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

was checking out the map from the blog, started with the location marked "between the crates" it was a cult compound full of naked dudes, as a side note right next to it is a radio station with a scrap, couldn't find some of the stuff on the ocean floor...DLC maybe? or just me not finding them. found 4 ufo parts and two scraps the map has a whole lot of hidden stuff
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Old September 28 2013, 04:02 PM   #159
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I finished the story last night. The game has a few minor annoyances, but taken on the whole it is easily the best GTA game, and one of the best games I've ever played. A wonderful way to cap off this console generation.

I was a bit sceptical of the character-switching mechanic at first, but now I think it's one of the best innovations to come to GTA since the games went 3D. One of the problems I had with San Andreas and GTA IV was that the stories meandered all over the place, but the three characters resolve that problem. Franklin gets to work with the city's gangs, Trevor gets to work with rednecks, and Michael gets to be involved with the movie industry, and none of it feels contrived because those settings suit the characters. They could have done better on the character-switching during missions though, only about 20% of the missions feature all three and many of those force you to switch between characters instead of letting you do so freely. My personal favourite mission was one where the three team up to attack a lumber mill because I felt that mission had the best implementation of the character switching in the game. I must have freely switched characters over a dozen times during that mission, and when one character got pinned down I would switch to one of the others to attack from another angle.

My only real complaint about the game is that some of the heists didn't have enough choices during the planning stages. Out of the 5 heists in the game, only 3 have the full range of options from what I experienced, with one of the heists only allowing me to pick a gunman. I wish there were more heists like the jewellery store robbery or the big score, those were immense fun.

-Brett- wrote: View Post
I finally got to the infamous torture scene. To me at least, the players forced participation just emphasized the nastiness of it in ways that don't come across in other mediums where the audience is a passive observer.
That torture scene was torture for me. Not because of what was happening on screen, but because the controls for the tooth-pulling bit didn't work well. I don't know if it was because the game glitched out for me or if my controller is slightly busted, but I couldn't seem to spin the analogue stick fast enough. It took me about ten minutes just to complete that part.

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
was checking out the map from the blog, started with the location marked "between the crates" it was a cult compound full of naked dudes,
That's the Altruist cult. Trevor has the option to drop off hitch-hikers there instead of at their intended destination for a little extra cash, and it's implied that they eat the victims you give them. I dropped off a crazy woman there because she hinted at having murdered a bunch of people in the past, including her mother, so that seemed fair... sort of.

As Franklin, I encountered two of them seemingly trying to rape a woman on the side of the road, so I rescued her. This game can be really messed up at times.
Old September 28 2013, 08:26 PM   #160
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

-Brett- wrote: View Post
I think too much has been made of the "torture" scene. In context it "makes sense" given the despicable characters, and corrupt government agents we're talking about. Same goes for the perceived misogamy in the game, since we're looking at a satire of sorts on popular culture and Southern California.

The torture portion was what it was, select a device and watch a cut-scene of a meth-headed sociopathic criminal use it on an informant. Hardly any worse than most of everything else that goes on in this game and went on in other GTA games.

(Didn't GTA3 feature in a cut-scene with two female villains torturing a man (including castration) for information?)

I'm a slow-player when it comes to these games so I'm still going through the story mode, still enjoying the game. It's a lot of fun and for all his faults Trevor is a fun, great, character. When complete I don't think I could ever get 100% completion with this game, finding all of the jumps and random stuff scattered around the map. I'll try as I might but, man, it's not going to be easy. I wish it was possible to mark jumps on the map so you can go back to them if you happen to pass them and are in the middle of something so can't use it, or need a better car/whatever. Instead they're scattered around, hidden, with no easy way to remember where they are or to find them again.
Old September 29 2013, 01:57 AM   #161
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ You can mark "points of interest" on the map. And I wouldn't doubt that 99% of people who find all the jumps/pieces/etc use guides at some point.
Old September 29 2013, 07:14 AM   #162
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

How to make money using the stock market:

STEP 1:

Lester Assassination Mission #1 - Hotel Assasination

This will come naturally being that you cannot progress through the rest of the story without having to do the first one. Invest in [BET] BettaPharmaceuticals (BAWSAQ) with each character before starting the mission with Franklin. You won't have much money to invest so the take won't be that big. Im not exactly sure what the max return percentage is on the investment because at the time I did the mission I wasnt that familiar with how the stock market works. If i remember correctly though it caps out at around 80% profit at least.

STEP 2:

DO NOT DO ANYMORE OF LESTER'S ASSASSINATION MISSIONS:

There are probably other ways of manipulating the stock market and making vast amounts of cash without these missions but if you do them early on you will miss out on being able to invest your take from the final heist on his stock tips and thus not be able to make vast amounts of money as quickly.

STEP 3:

Finish all the main story missions besides Lester's assassination missions.

Once you finish the last story mission you get the money you made from the last heist you did at which point you can get on the road towards being a billionaire.

STEP 4:

Lester Assassination Mission #2 - The Multi Target Assassination

BEFORE accepting the mission invest all the money you have with each character in the stock [DEB] Debonaire (LCN). Immediately after this mission is completed the stock price will start to rise. It will take around 8 in game hours to reach its peak at 80% return percentage at which point you can sell all your stock with each character. If you wait too long to sell then the return will be significantly lower so keep an eye on the stock and wait for it to reach its peak and make sure to sell before the next trading day which begins every weekday at 8am in game time.

Here are my numbers to show you what I made with Michael.

$32, 081,246 invested. $58,714,376 return.

STEP 4.5

Invest in Redwood

This is the most important step and the step most people are not aware of. Even though you are meant to hurt this company with the last assassination mission they come out on top in the end. Invest all your money with each character in [RWC] Redwood (LCN). With any of your characters advance the in game clock by 48 hours past the last trading day which started at 8am by going the the save screen at any of safe houses and then backing out immediately. Each time you back out from a save the clock advances 6 hours. If you wait 2 days and land on a weekend you have to wait additional days to get to the next week as stock prices do not move on weekends. Once you get to start of the second trading day Redwood's stock will be up by a whopping 300% instantly at which point you sell.

Here is what I made with Michael.

$58,714,376 invested. $234,839,456 return.

STEP 5

Lester Assassination Mission #3 - The Vice Assassination

BEFORE starting the mission invest all your money with each character in [FRT] Fruit (BAWSAQ) and then complete the mission. You will net a max of 50% return from this stock at which point sell it on all your characters.

$234,839,456 invested. $353,735,360 return.

STEP 6:

Lester Assassination Mission #4 - The Bus Assassination

Complete the mission as you would do normally. AFTER completion invest all your money with each character in [VAP] Vapid (BAWSAQ). Advance the in game clock 2 days and at the start of the second trading day the stock will be up 100% instantly and will not peak any further at which point you sell.

$353,735,360 invested. $707,470,720 return

STEP: 7

Lester Assassination Mission # 7 -The Construction Assassination

BEFORE starting the mission invest all your money with each character in [GCD] GoldCoast (LCN) and then complete the mission. You will net a max of 80% return from this stock at which point sell it on all your characters.

$707,470,720 invested. $1,282,880,384 return.

Condensed Version:

STEP 1 - BEFORE the second assassination mission invest in [DEB] Debonaire (LCN). Sell at 80% return.

STEP 2 - Invest in [RWC] Redwood (LCN). Advance in game clock 2 days. Sell at 300% return.

STEP 3 - BEFORE the third assassination mission invest in [FRT] Fruit (BAWSAQ). Sell at 50% return.

STEP 4 - AFTER the fourth assassination mission invest in [VAP] Vapid (BAWSAQ). Advance in game clock 2 days. Sell at 100% return.

STEP 5 - BEFORE the fifth assassination mission invest in [GCD] GoldCoast (LCN). Sell at 80% return.

As you can see, depending on your take from the last heist you can make upwards of anywhere from 1-1.5 billion dollars. If anyone finds any errors or has any input regarding this method or the stock market in general feel free to leave a comment.

Thank you Romez5 for this guide, much appreciated.

LINK: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gra...-missions.html
Though getting so much money after beating the game defeats the purpose of making money and buying properties during the game...
Old September 29 2013, 03:02 PM   #163
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I wish it was possible to mark jumps on the map so you can go back to them if you happen to pass them and are in the middle of something so can't use it, or need a better car/whatever. Instead they're scattered around, hidden, with no easy way to remember where they are or to find them again.
If you link your game with a Rockstar Social Club account, they track everything you need to do to achieve 100% completion and have maps for most of the things you have yet to find. You also don't have to accomplish all 50 stunt jumps, just 25 of them.

I got 100% completion on all the 3D GTA games, and I was sitting at 85% when I finished the story in V, so I may as well go for 100% again. At least this time there's none of those fecking birds that you have to shoot, triggering a wanted level every. Single. Time.
Old September 30 2013, 05:12 PM   #164
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Had a pretty good moment last night. After a character switch to Michael at the movie studio there are two actors in astronaut gear by the exit. I tried to take a "selfie" with them but they got belligerent. Took the fight outside the studio gates and roughed them up. Got in my car and started taking shots from the security guard chasing in a golf cart yelling "No one fucks with this rent-a-cop." Great stuff.
Old October 2 2013, 12:56 AM   #165
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT, thats the 5th time i've switched to trevor with him in the middle of the interstate with a fucking wanted level i've had to get wasted/busted so many fucking times because of that shit