Vulcan Ale – The Genesis Effect
By: T'Bonz on Aug 31

Shatner Writing Book About Friendship With Nimoy

Nimoy Documentary ON COPD In Progress

Three New Star Trek Beyond Set Shots

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old December 6 2011, 10:04 PM   #76
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Watchmen 2?

Not sequel...prequels. Here's an interesting article...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/...of-watchmen-2/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2011, 02:39 AM   #77
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This is rather interesting. As far as I know Bleeding Cool didn't get a response from DC when they went ahead and announced the New 52 early...in fact I think when they did that Rich bragged about not signing a wavier thing with DC or something like the other news sites did. They must have regarding the Watchmen prequel. So this must be happening and DC is waiting for the right moment to announce it.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/...cool-complies/

Old December 27 2011, 05:44 AM   #78
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I love the arrogant, woe-is-me tone that Bleeding Cool has in that post.
Old December 27 2011, 05:51 AM   #79
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That seems to be Rich's attitude about everything...although more so towards DC.

Old December 27 2011, 05:52 AM   #80
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

"Bloggers...like journalists, but never went to college."
Old January 1 2012, 09:22 AM   #81
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Amanda Connor Silk Spectre II art work.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/...amanda-conner/

Something definitely seems to be up regarding this project whatever it is hopefully announced soon. Bleeding Cool was correct regarding the relaunch so who knows what this is.

Old January 3 2012, 01:12 AM   #82
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

...and down it goes!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/...men-2-artwork/

Old January 3 2012, 01:39 AM   #83
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Bleeding Cool: Oh, woe is us! The evil DC Comics bullies have forbidden us to post an image that we don't have legal ownership of! Now, we have legal standing to keep it up, because we say so (so you should believe us), but we are taking it down anyway, because we are better people than those at DC.
Old January 3 2012, 01:54 AM   #84
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Rich's antagonistic reaction to DC is amusing. I noted it when he broke the relaunch story line but he really seems to not really like them at all lol. There really must be some kind of back story I'm not getting here.

Old January 3 2012, 03:18 AM   #85
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I liked Rich better when he just wrote that column.
Old January 7 2012, 11:46 PM   #86
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

An interesting argument as to why Watchmen 2 can and should happen by an avowed Alan Moore fanatic who was initially very much against the idea.
Old January 8 2012, 01:00 AM   #87
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I pretty much agree with it.* Not DC's fault if Moore can't read a contract properly. And if Watchmen prequels suck, who cares? Watchmen's still there.

Anyway, I can't say I'm much interested in Watchmen prequels. I mean, I already got Watchmen prequels. They were called Watchmen #2, Watchmen #4, Watchmen #6, and Watchmen #11. They were pretty good!

I'd actually be far more interested in a genuine Watchmen 2, taking place in post-squid world.

(Of course, what I think would be the most interesting thing to do with the story would be to have Moore and Gibbons do their proto-Watchmen with the Charlton characters as originally intended. A lot of work just to satisfy an historical counterfactual? Perhaps. But I'd buy that mother.)

*Oh, except this bit:

For example, it’s pretty much standard practice that, should you wish to contest something in the contract after it’s signed, you’ll have to do so in the home state of the publisher you’ve signed the contract with. That means if your publisher is based in California, any disputes will have to be settled there, meaning you’d have to travel there for every court appearance, even if you live on the other side of the country.
Firstly, I don't know how "standard" choice of forum clauses were back in 1985, and how likely DC would have been to use them. But, yeah, it's certainly standard now to have choice of forum and choice of law clauses. Fair enough.

Secondly, in a civil matter, you don't have to personally show up to court. That's retarded. You hire a NY lawyer and he does his shit and at worst Moore gets deposed at some solicitor's office in Northampton. It's not Alan Moore on trial for murder, it's Alan Moore v. TimeWarner in the S.D.N.Y. (And fwiw, if there is no choice of forum clause, or arbitration clause, Moore could just as easily sue in England. New York contract law would be likeliest to apply, but that doesn't mean an English court has no jurisdiction. Totally different things. TimeWarner could attempt to move it to a U.S. court through various legal methods, most of which I forget now, but it still doesn't mean Moore has to get on a plane and fly to America.)

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 01:28 AM   #88
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
I'd actually be far more interested in a genuine Watchmen 2, taking place in post-squid world.
Yeah, there actually is a lot to be explored there. Either Rorschack's diary or the drawing of the squid, dated 3 days before the event, by the artist that Ozy blew up on the boat (a sub-plot absent from the movie for those keeping score) could threaten to undo Veight's conspiracy.

Suppose both came to public attention? Would the fragile peace shatter? Would the world turn on Veight? Would Veight have to go into full-on super-villan mode to save his own ass and bring the world back together? Would it be costumed heroes, old and new (Maybe even a corps of Rorschack cultists) who stop Veight's evil plans, thus insuring world peace and bringing costumed heroes back into public favor? And could that have been Veight's plan all along...?

Last edited by Turtletrekker; January 8 2012 at 01:57 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 01:35 AM   #89
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Yeah, exactly. I mean, I don't feel like that story's necessary, and certainly doesn't fit in with Moore's intent to leave the ending ambiguous, but there's more that is inherently interesting in that than how, say, Rorshach and Nite Owl hung out in the mid-70s, or what kind of sex a 17 year old girl has with a glowing blue guy, or the Comedian setting Vietnamese people on fire.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2012, 03:22 AM   #90
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Darwyn Cooke is supposedly "Showrunning" these mini-prequels and if that is the case, combined with the rumoured talent then I'm at least very open to whatever this so-called codenamed Panic Room is. Bleeding Cool has been chirping about this for a good year now I think and DC has now asked Rich to remove art twice from their site so something is happening.