RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 522
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 2 2012, 10:46 PM   #181
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: Watchmen 2?

I would be, because he really is the greatest person who ever worked in comics, but Moore's come off as a dick too often lately, most notably in that he holds others--he might as well have named Johns--to standards he's never applied to himself, and because his contract "dispute" with DC is laughable. Bitching because an obviously exploitable contract provision (it doesn't take a J.D. or M.B.A. to figure out that "when it goes out of print" will never happen if it continues to be successful) keeps you from retaking control over the art you created for hire, but did provide you an eternal reputation as well as hundreds of thousands of dollars, rewards 99% of comic book writers never attain, is so the definition of "First World problem" that I put him and DC on basically the same moral level.

Particularly when he only wants it back out of spite.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 10:52 PM   #182
nvek86
Commander

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Morrison intended Dr. Manhattan to be apart of Superman Beyond 3D. I think he was called something else in the actual issues...I forget which. I wouldn't be surprised if these led to an eventual crossover with the New 52.
The character he used was called Captain Adam:
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Allen_Adam_%28Earth-4%29

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
The upshot is, I can't believe Grant Morrison didn't get in on some of this action. The man has spent twenty years pulling on Alan Moore's beard. What happened?
gravity, provided for the other principals.
He's doing his own version of the Watchmen world in the Multiversity series (old link, I know, but there are still plans for it to be published):
http://www.comicvine.com/news/morris...ricana/142113/
Old February 2 2012, 11:08 PM   #183
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Could anyone direct me to an online description of the Watchmen characters, as they were originally portrayed in Charlton Comics?

Thanks.
Old February 2 2012, 11:13 PM   #184
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I found this for you CorporalCaptain.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/03/04...an-ozymandias/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 11:16 PM   #185
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I found this for you CorporalCaptain.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/03/04...an-ozymandias/
Alright, thanks!
Old February 2 2012, 11:46 PM   #186
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

At least this is ignoring the Last Stand...or is it?
Old February 3 2012, 12:30 AM   #187
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I thought this was interesting and vaguely recall when it was posted last year...Rich talking about the ethics of Before Watchmen.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/...fore-watchmen/

Old February 3 2012, 12:44 AM   #188
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post

Well, yeah. The point is, Promethea was only seven years ago; unless he's physically unwell, I don't think he's quite lost his game yet. Neonomicon notwithstanding (though in disclosure, I didn't read it, it sounded pointless and gross and it was drawn by Jacen Burrows, yuck).

Edit: and yeah, I miscounted masterpieces. -_-
I feel like I read in an interview (yeah, I know, no link...) that he was growing less interested in writing comics and turning more of his attention to prose and stage performance...
Alan Moore wants to do more stage work? I'm sure it will be plays with a lot of rape in them.

Another article calling out Moore's hypocracy...

[COLOR=#366388]http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2012/02/01/alan-moore-is-wrong-about-before-watchmen/[/COLOR]

Another article bringing up why Before Watchmen might be a mistake...

[COLOR=#bbccff]http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2012/02/01/146218318/before-watchmen-apocalyptic-tales-and-leaving-well-enough-alone[/COLOR]

I actually don't mind more Watchmen stories. But if they're not going to be great stories, they shouldn't even bother to publish them.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 12:49 AM   #189
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I don't get this mentality about how if they're not going to be great stories they shouldn't bother to publish them. Only you the person who is reading them can determine if they're "great" stories. It doesn't matter what others think. There is/does seem to be almost a cultish or mob like mentality when it concerns Watchmen. DC has put some damn good talent (we can debate about this and have) on these books. We won't know if these will be good or not until we actually start reading them. Like JMS said yesterday the books will speak for themselves. Just as Watchmen its self did, and I know people who don't care or like the original as blasphemous as that is to say.

Old February 3 2012, 01:46 AM   #190
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

There's no debate that Jae Lee draws fine figures and equally fine drapery.

(There's also no debate that Jae Lee doesn't like to draw anything else. I hope there isn't much call for "objects" or "backgrounds" in Len Wein's script.)

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 02:57 AM   #191
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Honestly, for me the biggest deterent to buying this is the weekly nature of the project (assuming you go "all in"). At $3.99 a week for 35 weeks= $139.65 plus applicable sales tax to get the whole story. That's a lot of strain to put onto my comics budget.

I think my best bet is too wait for trade, in order to have the benefit of reviews, buzz and word of mouth in order better make the decision of which minis to buy or not to buy, if any.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; February 3 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 03:01 AM   #192
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. I'm just going to be checking out the series that I mentioned, while waiting for the trades when they come out in the winter time or early next year...one assumes that if the summer start actually happens.

Kevin Smith turned down Before Watchmen...oh and Rich takes time to pat himself on the back again lol.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; February 3 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old February 3 2012, 03:39 AM   #193
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Yeah. I'm just going to be checking out the series that I mentioned, while waiting for the trades when they come out in the winter time or early next year...one assumes that if the summer start actually happens.
Personally, I think Minutemen will be the hardest for me to resist.
Kevin Smith turned down Before Watchmen...oh and Rich takes time to pat himself on the back again lol.

His (Kevin Smith) name did keep popping up however. So I asked him if he’d ever actually been approached to write for Before Watchmen. He told me;
“Talked to Jim [Lee] and Dan [DiDio] about it two years ago. Only passed because I’m not Alan Moore, sadly. If I was Alan Moore, I’d be all over it. As Kevin Smith, I’d likely just make Bubastis “big pussy” jokes and have Rorschach wet himself. Hurm.”
Shame, I think I would have enjoyed Veidt And Silent Bubastis.
Old February 3 2012, 03:41 AM   #194
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I laughed at that too. I wonder if he also didn't turn it down because he's also known to be late turning stuff in? LOL

Old February 3 2012, 04:14 AM   #195
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I can't think that Before Watchmen can do more to undermine Watchmen than 25 years of "gritty," "psychological" superhero comics written by people who didn't understand what made Watchmen work already has.