RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,766
Posts: 5,433,945
Members: 24,840
Currently online: 601
Newest member: Reece101

TrekToday headlines

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 2 2012, 03:27 AM   #151
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Watchmen 2?

With the creative talent involved? I don't see why not.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 03:32 AM   #152
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Watchmen 2?

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
With the creative talent involved? I don't see why not.
Just to be clear. We should expect that all of these new works are going to be of the same - or better - quality as the original Watchmen (as in the same applause, awards, yada yada)?
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 03:33 AM   #153
scnj
Captain
 
Re: Watchmen 2?

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
"The quality was the issue,"

Quality is quite the subjective term, isn't it? So we should assume that these books are to be of the same quality as Watchmen?
I think we should assume that a lineup of amazing creators are going to put 100% of their effort into delivering the best storylines they can featuring these characters. Anything else would be setting up for disappointment.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 03:34 AM   #154
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Watchmen 2?

I expect that type of quality in all the comics I read to be honest. Doesn't matter what it is or who is involved. It's up to the reader if it matches their expectations or not. With the talent that is involved with Before Watchmen, I absolutely expect it to be of the same quality of the original. I think that is why DC has made sure to include those that are involved.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 03:37 AM   #155
Agenda
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Watchmen 2?

scnj wrote: View Post
Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
"The quality was the issue,"

Quality is quite the subjective term, isn't it? So we should assume that these books are to be of the same quality as Watchmen?
I think we should assume that a lineup of amazing creators are going to put 100% of their effort into delivering the best storylines they can featuring these characters. Anything else would be setting up for disappointment.
Someone could write a great story and still not measure up to the quality of Watchmen.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 03:39 AM   #156
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Watchmen 2?

That''s true too. I don't get what point you are tying to make...well I kind of do since you've pretty much written these off anyway, but why are we carrying on in this particular line of discussion?
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 03:53 AM   #157
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Watchmen 2?

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
They're not doing Watchmen again though, they're revisiting parts of the past, with impressive creative teams...
scnj wrote: View Post
...a lineup of amazing creators ...
That's a matter of opinion, I guess. Len Wein was never more than a decent journeyman writer at his best. JMS is wildly overrated in my book (haven't liked anything of his I've read since Midnight Nation...and who knows if he'll even finish it) and Azzarello is hit (Joker) or miss (Superman).

Of the list, the only one I'm really looking forward to is "Minutemen" because of Darwyn Cooke and the fact that it's least explored aspect of that particular universe.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Strikes Again sucked and mostly is ignored...the same will happen to these prequels if they suck as well...
I don't know about that. Sometimes making something a series dilutes what people admired about the original to the point where we tend to forget how good the standalone original was. For example: A lot of people tend to forget the original Rocky was an Oscar winning film with a lot of heart because the sequels got so cartoonish.

In any event, I think the prequels may be the least of it. If they sell as well as DC would hope, I wouldn't be surprised to see DiDio and company find a way to start doing DCU/Watchmen universe crossover stories...most likely as a companywide crossover event (Infinite Watchmen, anyone?)
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 03:56 AM   #158
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Watchmen 2?

Morrison intended Dr. Manhattan to be apart of Superman Beyond 3D. I think he was called something else in the actual issues...I forget which. I wouldn't be surprised if these led to an eventual crossover with the New 52.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 03:59 AM   #159
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Watchmen 2?

Like others I have to laugh at Moore and his fans getting all up in arms about DC using the Watchmen characters. Afer all his four most famous "creations" are
  1. A revamp of Marvel Man, which in it's self was a revamp of Captain Marvel
  2. Watchmen, a revamp of the Charlton characters
  3. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which mined the classics for its character.
  4. A total revamp of Swamp Thing that told us everything you know is wrong.


Maybe these new creators can improve upon Watchmen the same way he improved upon Marvel Man, Swamp Thing, the classics and Charlton's heroes.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 04:22 AM   #160
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: Watchmen 2?

Your point about Moore's work being built on borrowed characters is well taken. Unfortunately, however, not a single creator on that list is as good a writer as Moore in his prime. So I'd be very surprised to see anyone on that list improve on the original.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 04:36 AM   #161
Broccoli
Vice Admiral
 
Broccoli's Avatar
 
Location: Broccoli
Re: Watchmen 2?

L. Frank Baum and Lewis Carrol are a hell of a lot more imaginative and creative as writers than Moore any day of the week. But that didn't stop Moore from turning those writers' stories into sex fantasies. But what do I know?
__________________
"That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -- Christopher Hitchens
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 04:43 AM   #162
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Watchmen 2?

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Beyond Antares wrote: View Post

It's safe until you begin to devalue your intellectual property. Up until this point, Watchmen has been praised as an "untarnished masterpiece" by the masses. After this? Watchmen becomes not just what Alan Moore wrote, but also what Person A wrote, Person B wrote, Person C wrote, etc. And if what they wrote is not nearly as good as the original, then what happens to the property? All I can say is I hope the extra $$$ is worth it.
That IS a risk, yes. But, small compared to pretty much the guaranteed $$$. So, for DC, it will be a success.

And, there have been good Batman stories, and bad Batman stories. And Batman is still valuable.
Batman is valuable because the character himself has caught on with people. He's popular enough to be passed on between different creators - good and bad - and remain unscathed.

Watchmen is valuable because of its overall reputation as the "Citizen Kane of comic books" (whether one agrees with that or not). What happens when you tarnish that reputation with new material that doesn't have a hope in hell of being as good? I don't think the Dark Knight Strikes Again did the Dark Knight Returns any favors.
By that metric, any sequel or prequel whether authorized or unauthorized that doesn't live up to the standards of the original "tarnishes" it. What about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? Does that tarnish the original by Jane Austen? What about LXG? Does it somehow detract from the work of Conan Doyle, HG Wells and all the others that Moore took stuff from?
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 04:55 AM   #163
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Watchmen 2?

JMS raises some good points. Didn't Moore originally want to use those old Charlton Comics characters for Watchmen?
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 05:07 AM   #164
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Watchmen 2?

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
JMS raises some good points. Didn't Moore originally want to use those old Charlton Comics characters for Watchmen?
That was the plan

Blue Beetle= Nite Owl
The Question= Rorschach
Captain Atom= Doctor Manhattan
Nightshade= Silk Spectre
Peacemaker=Comedian
Thunderbolt= Ozymandias
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 05:12 AM   #165
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Watchmen 2?

Len Wein is probably apart of this because he was one of the editors on "Watchmen", more so than for his writing. I believe he wrote the script for the "Watchmen" video game that was a tie in to the film.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
watchmen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.