Star Trek Uniform Laptop Bag And Fanny Pack
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Star Trek: The Fifty Year Mission
By: T'Bonz on May 26

Where No Garden Gnome Has Gone Before
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old November 25 2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Bounty Hunter Leia

In ROTJ we see Leia sneak into Jabba's palace in a bounty hunter disguise (commonly referred to as Boussh) that disguises her face and voice, just like her father (Although of course she wasn't a cyborg!). However I have to wonder if this was intentional on behalf of the filmmakers to make a somewhat subtle meta-hint to her true parentage before the reveal later in the film? I mean, while Luke was given the most obvious cues-the cyborg hand, the black outfit, his use of force choke on the guards-were the fillmakers going for a Vader clue with Leia?

Also is it just me or do Deep Space Nine's Breen look a lot like her disguise?
Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Forbin
Admiral

Re: Bounty Hunter Leia

Yes.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2011, 07:00 PM   #3
davejames
Vice Admiral

Considering the fairly simplistic storytelling of ROTJ, I kinda doubt it. More likely, they just thought it would make a cool little surprise for the audience (or at least the little kids who didn't guess it right away. lol).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2011, 10:22 PM   #4
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Considering the fairly simplistic storytelling of ROTJ, I kinda doubt it. More likely, they just thought it would make a cool little surprise for the audience (or at least the little kids who didn't guess it right away. lol).
This.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Forbin
Admiral

Or for those of us not sitting behind some idiot in the theater who thought it would impress his girlfriend that he saw the movie before and said "Watch, watch... that's really Leia!:

Last edited by Forbin; November 26 2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old November 26 2011, 01:21 AM   #6
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Reminds me of that Simpsons clip where Marge and Homer are walking out of ESB, and Homer ruins the reveal for everyone.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 02:50 AM   #7
Dream
Admiral

I still don't know what the heck Luke's rescure plan was in ROTJ. It was such a confusing mess.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Whofan wrote: View Post
It's not just you. We call that a ripoff. Or an homage.
Old November 26 2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
I still don't know what the heck Luke's rescure plan was in ROTJ. It was such a confusing mess.
It's quite simple really. You see Lando infiltrates first and gets a job as a guard. He then hangs around, not doing much.

Then Luke sends in the droids, to get jobs as servants and to smuggle his Lightsaber into the palace.

Then they infiltrate Leia posing as a bounty hunter with Chewbacca as her prisoner. That gets Chewie inside the palace and into a key location where he can help, a dungeon cell.

With Lando and Chewie in key positions to do nothing and make it hard to escape again, Leia then frees Han. She gets caught but you see this is all part of Luke's cunning plan.

Now we have C3P0, R2D2,Han, Leia and Chewbacca all needing to be rescued, while Lando does nothing. Clearly a much stronger position to be in when Luke finally arrives, afterall 5 prisoners are easier to save than 1.

I believe the tenth Doctor said it best in 'End of Time': "Worst. Rescue. EVER!"
Old November 26 2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Leia and R2 at least make some sense. You need to defrost Han and getting Luke his lightsaber sounds reasonable. But, yeah, I'm not sure what Lando did or why he didn't just defrost Han.

Luke probably foresaw that it would work out, though, Jedi stuff and all.
Old November 26 2011, 05:21 PM   #11
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler

It's hard to say what exactly the "master plan" was for rescuing Han but you could say that Luke put several "escape hatches" in place so that the eventual success of the mission could be ensured if things didn't go quite a planned (which they didn't). It didn't seem like Leia planned on getting captured but when she didn't contact Luke, he probably figured that she had been captured and proceeded with his alternate plan(s) to rescue Han. If you accept the EU (Thrawn Trilogy) as canon, Luke got REALLY lucky though that Jabba kept Mara Jade from accompanying them on the Sail Barge.
Old November 26 2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

He had to get the whole team together for the rescue to have a maximum chance of success. Yeah. That's it.
Old November 26 2011, 06:17 PM   #13
captcalhoun
Admiral

Lando was there for recon.

R2 was there to get his sabre in and to deliver the ultimatum, 3PO had to be there to be convincing when R2 played the holo-message telling Jabba gimme Han or else.

Leia and Chewie went in to get Han defrosted and probably to try to get Han out.

when Leia failed, Luke went in to get them all out.

seemples.
[/meerkat]
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 09:24 PM   #14
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Whofan wrote: View Post
It's not just you. We call that a ripoff. Or an homage.

The Breen helmet wasn't planned to have the snout; the staff decided to give the impression that the Breen were wolf-like in appearance.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2011, 09:45 PM   #15
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Luke's plan was shut up since when did Star Wars heroes evidence good planning. I guess after the spectacularly poorly thought out Death Star caper that capped off Luke's career, he just continued to ride his string of purely improbable luck as long as it'd take him.

davejames wrote: View Post
Considering the fairly simplistic storytelling of ROTJ, I kinda doubt it.
In fairness to Lucas, he likes image storytelling. The towering mass of the Imperial Star Destroyer hanging over the screen, dwarfing the rather insignificant looking rebel ship at the start of the first movie makes the statement about the Empire's power rather well. And, of course, there's intentional paralleling of Luke and Vader across all six films - again, not subtle, but there.

Though no, this doesn't seem to me like a Vader analogy, although on the other hand it's the first of two times in ROTJ removing someone's mask to see the human face within is itself a major dramatic beat...

More likely, they just thought it would make a cool little surprise for the audience (or at least the little kids who didn't guess it right away. lol).
I don't know, I think it's genuinely surprising. Even if one leaps to the assumption Boushh is on Our Side, and a hero in disguise because of mask... why jump to Leia? Could be Luke in there.

Last edited by Kegg; November 27 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote