CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 2 2013, 09:06 PM   #76
inflatabledalek
Captain

Re: Making myself feel old through popular media

In a similar vein to the aforementioned Transformers movie, we've now passed all the years in which the "Future" UK comic stories that tied into/followed on from the film were set (with the exception of the odd centuries into the future flashforward).
Old March 3 2013, 03:10 AM   #77
jayceee
Commander

A few years ago, I found myself feeling excited about picking up dvd season sets of old tv shows from the 1970's and 1980's.

Watching these tv shows again (now as a middle aged adult), I eventually came to the realization how awful a lot of this stuff was. If such tv shows were from another era, I probably wouldn't have paid much attention to them in the first place

Last edited by jayceee; March 4 2013 at 12:05 AM.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 03:20 AM   #78
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I found an atari 2600 emulator.

The games are 5k and they wouldn't keep a modern 3 year old entertained.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 03:29 AM   #79
jayceee
Commander

Here's something really sad and pathetic.

Last night I found myself feeling excited about watching "Saturday Night Fever".

When I was a teenager, I always wanted to be "Tony Manero".
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 03:39 AM   #80
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

What makes me feel my age is when commenters on YouTube express amazement at some of the special effects in movies made before the advent of CGI. "And to think they did all that without computers!"
Old March 3 2013, 03:53 AM   #81
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

jayceee wrote: View Post
Here's something really sad and pathetic.

Last night I found myself feeling excited about watching "Saturday Night Fever".

When I was a teenager, I always wanted to be "Tony Manero".
Still streets ahead of wanting to be young Tony Danza.

Old March 3 2013, 04:27 AM   #82
the G-man
Commodore

A few years ago, I found myself feeling excited about picking up dvd season sets of old tv shows from the 1970's and 1980's...Watching these tv shows again (now as a middle aged adult), I eventually came to the realization how awful a lot of this stuff was.
Of the list you gave, Magnum still holds up in my book, along with the first season or two of Miami Vice (if you can get past the dated 80s references, especially on the latter). But a lot of what you listed were, basically, kids' shows. Maybe not in terms of being Sat AM programs, but in terms of the fact they were written to appeal to younger audiences. So it isn't surprising that, as an adult, they'd lose their appeal.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 04:50 AM   #83
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

When I was about 4, I walked in on my parents watching Caligula, and years later I deducted that what I had seen must have been I Claudius, but after sitting through I, Claudius twice, I really was perplexed about where all the naked penises had gone.

Old March 3 2013, 06:36 AM   #84
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
I just learned a scary tidbit. Ralph Macchio is now 51 years old, which means he is the same age Pat Morita was when they shot The Karate Kid.
Ralph Macchio was in his 20s when they made The Karate Kid?! Wow. Did not know that.
Yep. It was common for twentysomethings to play highschoolers then (and possibly still is?), but the difference in Macchio's case was that he actually looked as young as the character he was playing.
Old March 3 2013, 04:21 PM   #85
the G-man
Commodore

...as opposed to, say, the cast of Grease.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 02:51 AM   #86
Aldo
Admiral

Or the cast of the Porky's films. Who, by the third film, were starting to have receding hairlines.
Old March 4 2013, 08:42 AM   #87
Magellan
Lieutenant Commander

the G-man wrote: View Post
A few years ago, I found myself feeling excited about picking up dvd season sets of old tv shows from the 1970's and 1980's...Watching these tv shows again (now as a middle aged adult), I eventually came to the realization how awful a lot of this stuff was.
Of the list you gave, Magnum still holds up in my book, along with the first season or two of Miami Vice (if you can get past the dated 80s references, especially on the latter). But a lot of what you listed were, basically, kids' shows. Maybe not in terms of being Sat AM programs, but in terms of the fact they were written to appeal to younger audiences. So it isn't surprising that, as an adult, they'd lose their appeal.
Totally agree on Magnum. I wsnt old enough to enjoy it when it was new but I'm watching through it now and find it to be a well written and enjoyable show today. I agree that many of the older shows don't but I think they are primarily the "dumb" action ones(ahem A-Team). I don't think sitcoms have really changed all that much, and ones from 20 or thirty years ago arent exactly high art but neither is the Big Bang Theory

I think iI must be old when I think of Jurassic Park as being state of the art fx and its older than many college students
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 02:40 PM   #88
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Holdfast wrote: View Post
I just learned a scary tidbit. Ralph Macchio is now 51 years old, which means he is the same age Pat Morita was when they shot The Karate Kid.
Ralph Macchio was in his 20s when they made The Karate Kid?! Wow. Did not know that.
Yep. It was common for twentysomethings to play highschoolers then (and possibly still is?), but the difference in Macchio's case was that he actually looked as young as the character he was playing.
Yeah, it's the second half of your sentence that made me surprised. Macchio actually looked like a young teen. I just looked up a more recent pic. If anything, the difference to his actual age is even greater now. He looks a good 15-20 years younger than his actual age. Guy has good genes.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote