USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old November 25 2009, 06:28 AM   #1
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Harlan Ellison Wants To Help Out With Star Trek Sequel?

This, from a new article just posted at TrekMovie:

In the last week it was suggested (and debated) by some fans on HarlanEllison.com that Harlan might want to get involved with Trek again. After some debate, the man himself weighed in with an unequivocal statement affirming that he would certainly be interested.
From HarlanEllison.com:
THE WORD FROM HARLAN DIRECTLY:

I would jump at the chance to work with the inordinately-talented J.J. Abrams on a new STAR TREK film. Yes, I would likely try to steer him toward the original film idea I was asked to pitch, by the late Gene Roddenberry and a production exec whose name I have blissfully flensed from memory (but he had been, if I recall, a hairdresser or clothing designer or ex-boyfriend of someone or other, and he kept trying to press me to include the Mayan Calendar).

[...]

If anyone out there thinks this melding has legs, let Abrams or anyone else with the chops to get in touch with me DIRECTLY. I am without full-time film-agent representation, by choice, at the moment; so if the job presents itself, I will work for pay.
Yr. Pal, Harlan
Read the complete article at TrekMovie (including Harlan's response to some fans at his own site who didn't think much of the idea.)

Now, there's something to contemplate, for those who were satisfied with the writing on the new movie and for those who thought it needed more or better or deeper or something completely other than what was in the final script. What might Harlan Ellison bring to the next movie (or to the one following, if that's the way it plays out) and would that be a good thing?

Half of me suspects that this could come undone before it begins, or before it gets far enough along to produce results, and half of me would really like to see what the end product would be like.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old November 25 2009, 06:31 AM   #2
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: Harlan Ellison Wants To Help Out With Star Trek Sequel?

My first thought at reading the thread title was, "Is Harlan Ellison selling out? I thought he hated Trek?"

Then he says this in your quote:

a production exec whose name I have blissfully flensed from memory (but he had been, if I recall, a hairdresser or clothing designer or ex-boyfriend of someone or other, and he kept trying to press me to include the Mayan Calendar)
And I'm relieved to see that this is the Harlan Ellison that we all know and love
Old November 25 2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Now, there's something to contemplate, for those who were satisfied with the writing on the new movie and for those who thought it needed more or better or deeper or something completely other than what was in the final script. What might Harlan Ellison bring to the next movie (or to the one following, if that's the way it plays out) and would that be a good thing?
Holy crap. It's worth a shot; it's unlikely that they'd produce writing I like even less than on the last film, so I'd be interested.
Old November 25 2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Well, Ellison would write a hell of a script, which would be unacceptable to the studio or producers as presented. He'd then walk away from the project and the script would either be shelved or rewritten by others.

He's a great writer, one of the two or three best ever associated with Trek. He elevated TOS immensely by his contribution, as did Theodore Sturgeon, Jerome Bixby, Jerry Sohl and Norman Spinrad. I don't think there's really been much of a place for science fiction writers in Star Trek for decades, though.
Old November 25 2009, 06:43 AM   #5
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

No. Hell no.
Harlan Ellison has seen the money making potential of the new Star Trek. He will come up with something original, then try to wring every cent he can by hook or crook for another 40+ years or until he dies.
Star Trek and Paramount would be wise to pass on his 'generous' offer.
Old November 25 2009, 06:48 AM   #6
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
He will come up with something original, then try to wring every cent he can by hook or crook for another 40+ years or until he dies.
If he can come up with "something original" for Star Trek, then he's due every penny he's earned (and that's what it is, son, earned income) - because no one else has for thirty years.
Old November 25 2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Dennis wrote: View Post
He will come up with something original, then try to wring every cent he can by hook or crook for another 40+ years or until he dies.
If he can come up with "something original" for Star Trek, then he's due every penny he's earned (and that's what it is, son, earned income) - because no one else has for thirty years.
Having worked on Star Trek and cinema projects over the years, I know what it is, SON, to earn an income. As a military veteran, I also know what it is, SON, to have your work be unappreciated.
Ellison willingly wrote for TOS knowing what his rights were and were not. Only later did he sue, after he changed his mind and decided he wanted more.
JJ Abrams and Company have already done something original without Ellison. It should stay that way.
Old November 25 2009, 08:03 AM   #8
Nowhere Man
Commodore

I would like to see more substance in the sequel, but there are already have 3 writers, I doubt they would add a fourth. It would be nice if they had him on as an advisor of some sort in order to add a little input.
Old November 25 2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Aike
Commander

y
Having worked on Star Trek and cinema projects over the years, I know what it is, SON, to earn an income.
Sorry for off topic, but what did you do on Trek?
Old November 25 2009, 09:27 AM   #10
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Having worked on Star Trek and cinema projects over the years, I know what it is, SON, to earn an income. As a military veteran, I also know what it is, SON, to have your work be unappreciated.
Ellison willingly wrote for TOS knowing what his rights were and were not. Only later did he sue, after he changed his mind and decided he wanted more.
No, that is not what the suit was about. He sued (and won) because he knew exactly what his rights were, and because the terms of his contract (and of the agreement between the WGA and its members to defend same) had been violated.

That, however, is also not the subject of this thread, and it will not be allowed to devolve into a "bash Harlan Ellison" thread. You have registered what appears to be a solid "Hell, no." Let's leave it at that, shall we?
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old November 25 2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

He sued - successfully - because he did know what his rights were. Armchair lawyers on the Internet thought they knew better, sure that he should take his crust of bread and go away gratefully. They were wrong.

Abrams and company would be lucky to have some input from Ellison, though it's obviously not in the cards for him to write a screenplay for this film. We'll see what happens next, though.

Aike wrote: View Post
Sorry for off topic, but what did you do on Trek?
Old November 25 2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I saw this article a few days ago, and I was wondering if anyone would take him up on it. After all the drama between him and Trek, do you think they still would? Or would they be gun shy.
Old November 25 2009, 02:23 PM   #13
Mrs_Whatsit
Commander

There's absolutely no doubt the man is a genius writer, and I have no doubt he could put out an amazing script. But personally, I hope JJ will stay far, far away from him. There's no denying that his outsize...personality, let's say, often takes the focus off the work he's done. And in this case, I want Star Trek XII and its actors to be the main attraction, not any behind-the-scenes drama that might ensue.
Old November 25 2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Focus for who?

Almost no one who saw Transformers 2 or The Dark Knight or Star Trek has any idea who wrote it or what writers actually do. Or producers, for that matter. That's a fact. A relatively small group of TV viewers or moviegoers pay any attention to such things at all. Harlan would arouse ridiculous angst among the people who care too much, like us, and even if he ran naked through the Paramount cafeteria screaming "Roddenberry was a fucking drug-crazed yuckamuck!" it would not distract one potential viewer out of ten thousand.
Old November 25 2009, 04:14 PM   #15
Kirkman1987
Commodore

I think Harlan can smell that big paycheck
Closed Thread