TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old August 11 2012, 04:02 AM   #256
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Re: Talk of Bryan Singer's BSG project resurfaces

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ There seems to be some debate about that particular aspect of his script. Some believe that he may have found a way to tie the two series together as a clear bridge to make them both in the same universe.
Dear God please NO! Don't pollute the classic BSG with Moore's version. I came to like NuG well enough, but as it's OWN thing, not as part of the same universe. Keep them well seperate!

JJ Abrams should have done the same with Trek. I could accept it as an AU, but not as an offshoot of Trek Prime.
Old August 11 2012, 04:21 AM   #257
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
^^^ There seems to be some debate about that particular aspect of his script. Some believe that he may have found a way to tie the two series together as a clear bridge to make them both in the same universe.
Dear God please NO! Don't pollute the classic BSG with Moore's version. I came to like NuG well enough, but as it's OWN thing, not as part of the same universe. Keep them well seperate!.
Hah! I feel exactly the opposite. I'd just as soon they forget about the original version, and let it rest in peace as a nostalgic relic of the seventies, and make any new versions more like the modern show . . . which was infinitely better, IMHO.

(I confess I never got into the original show, even back in the day. I remember liking Buck Rogers better.)
Old August 11 2012, 05:14 AM   #258
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

It's all just speculation at this point, based on Singer's cryptic statements. Nobody really knows for sure. I'm not even sure he even knows, as the script has probably gone through several revisions already, and expecting a few more. Time will <hopefully> tell...
Old August 25 2012, 06:42 PM   #259
Mars
Captain

Anji wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I'm just not interested in any new projects that have anything to do with the old '70s series. I only care about the RDM version.
Speak for yourself. I'm interested. And there are many original BSG fans who would love to see the old cast reunited for a movie.

Sign up Hatch and bring back Benedict as "Starbuck".. the ONE, and the ONLY Starbuck!!!

Moore destroyed BSG.

Keep us posted.
You like the Old BSG format?

Starbuck and Apollo fight Cylons, one of them gets shot down, and meets some humans from a lost colony, solve their local problems, then takes off in a viper, and the Cylons come and they pick up where they left off, shooting down some more Cylons. After a hard days work shooting Cylon Starbuck and Apollo decide to have a game of Pyramid, you know in the old series Pyramid is a card game, Apollo reclines with Sheba and Starbuck with Cassiopeia. Boxy shows up with his robot Daggit and joins in the fun, then they wander off and get into some trouble and need being rescued by Starbuck and Apollo.
Old August 25 2012, 06:49 PM   #260
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I certainly don't think Moore "destroyed" BSG, but I do like the original show much better. If Singer's version holds closer to it, I'd be all for that.

I mean, we know it'll be different in some way. It's highly unlikely the Singer version could possibly be darker and so it will probably be more...less-dark. (I hesitate to say 'lighter' given the circumstances.)
Old August 31 2012, 03:41 AM   #261
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Moore had his version, lets see something closer to the original too. I dont prefer the original but I value diversity.
Old August 31 2012, 12:51 PM   #262
Mars
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I'm just not interested in any new projects that have anything to do with the old '70s series. I only care about the RDM version.
Speak for yourself. I'm interested. And there are many original BSG fans who would love to see the old cast reunited for a movie.

Sign up Hatch and bring back Benedict as "Starbuck".. the ONE, and the ONLY Starbuck!!!

Moore destroyed BSG.

Keep us posted.
Um, Singer ISN'T doing a film with the original cast this is another reboot.
How many reboots do we need? I don't think we want too many retellings and new interpretations of the same old story. Of the two series the second one was more successful as it lasted 7 seasons, the original barely lasted one season, and I think their characters are not fully developed. For instance one of the characters is simply named Apollo and the other Starbuck, I guess they don't have last names in the original series, and it was never spelled out just how long a centon was either.
Old August 31 2012, 12:57 PM   #263
Mars
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I certainly don't think Moore "destroyed" BSG, but I do like the original show much better. If Singer's version holds closer to it, I'd be all for that.

I mean, we know it'll be different in some way. It's highly unlikely the Singer version could possibly be darker and so it will probably be more...less-dark. (I hesitate to say 'lighter' given the circumstances.)
I think its interesting where Ron Moore left off, you know even after they sent their fleet into the Sun, they still had some raptors with them which could have traveled anywhere in the Solar System and had jump drives as well. Suppose that before going completely primitive and native, they decided to leave one of their raptors on the Moon, and 150,000 years later some astronaut were to find it? In the raptor could be charts of various star systems the BSG had visited on their way to Earth, human explorers could then revisit the 12 colonies 150,000 years later and there could be some interesting encounters there.
Old August 31 2012, 02:07 PM   #264
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Mars wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Moore destroyed BSG.

Keep us posted.
Um, Singer ISN'T doing a film with the original cast this is another reboot.
How many reboots do we need? I don't think we want too many retellings and new interpretations of the same old story. Of the two series the second one was more successful as it lasted 7 seasons, the original barely lasted one season, and I think their characters are not fully developed. For instance one of the characters is simply named Apollo and the other Starbuck, I guess they don't have last names in the original series, and it was never spelled out just how long a centon was either.
<Scratches head>7 Seasons? 4 Seasons of NuBSG, 1 Season of Caprica, where are you getting two more seasons from?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old August 31 2012, 05:35 PM   #265
Harvey
Admiral

It did air over the course of six seasons of television (fall 2003 - spring 2009), plus a seventh for Caprica. Kind of fuzzy math to get to that point, though.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 31 2012, 06:04 PM   #266
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ That came from all that half-season nonsense that seemed to be prevalent during that time. IIRC, Sopranos was one of the first to do that. Thankfully, we don't see as much of that anymore.
Old August 31 2012, 06:11 PM   #267
Harvey
Admiral

I think it still happens on basic cable. The Sopranos was a bit of an outlier on premium cable though; most shows on HBO and Showtime have short enough seasons (10-13 episodes) that it doesn't make sense to split them.

On AMC, the most recent season of Breaking Bad is being split over two years, although production halted long enough between the two halves that they might as well be separate seasons.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old August 31 2012, 07:01 PM   #268
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

^^^ That came from all that half-season nonsense that seemed to be prevalent during that time. IIRC, Sopranos was one of the first to do that. Thankfully, we don't see as much of that anymore.
That must be because you don't watch SyFy Channel (Or much else on TV). They have always shown their 20 episode Series broken in half, 10 episodes at a time. Farscape did it, STargates did it, and the CUrrent Series still do it.

Walking Dead also showed S2 in 2 halves last year, and Doctor Who has been broken up last Series and this.

CW does the same thing. It's actually very common nowadays for a show to go on hiatus before Christmas and not start up again until late January or later. It's true SyFy Channel is more extreme in having a half year seperating the two parts, rather than only 2 or 3 months, but, it is common to split seasons nowadays

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; August 31 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old August 31 2012, 07:25 PM   #269
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

"Summer finales" are all the rage on basic cable nowadays.
Old September 1 2012, 03:09 AM   #270
The Wormhole
Admiral

Also, the writer's strike from 2007/8 also played a part in things.