MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old August 31 2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Mars
Captain

The Twelve Colonies 150,000 years later

What do you think of a new series that has Earth humans visiting the Twelve colonies 150,000 years later? Say a raptor was found by an astronaut on the Moon in the year 2020, it has a working jump drive and star charts to all the places the BSG visited on the way to finding Earth.
Old August 31 2012, 01:16 PM   #2
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: The Twelve Colonies 150,000 years later

According to Daybreak, a raptor was discovered on Earth. The National Geographic that Ron Moore was reading in Daybreak's final scene features a raptor being unearthed with the caption "Celestial Chariot?" Even if that still had a functional jump drive and starcharts, it would take quite awhile to get to the Colonies. It took Galactica and the fleet four years to get from the Colonies to Earth. A raptor presumably has a smaller jump distance than those ships. I'm guessing it could take up to a decade for a raptor to make it back to the Colonies on its own.

Needless to say, the first thing done with a newly discovered ancient spaceship would not be send it out to space for the next ten years. Besides, I doubt a raptor could even carry enough fuel and supplies for such a journey.

And I'm guessing there's nothing of note on the Colonies anyway. Yeah, twelve planets available for the people of Earth, but I can't imagine there'd be much a push to travel there in 2020.
Old August 31 2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Mars
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
According to Daybreak, a raptor was discovered on Earth. The National Geographic that Ron Moore was reading in Daybreak's final scene features a raptor being unearthed with the caption "Celestial Chariot?" Even if that still had a functional jump drive and starcharts, it would take quite awhile to get to the Colonies. It took Galactica and the fleet four years to get from the Colonies to Earth. A raptor presumably has a smaller jump distance than those ships. I'm guessing it could take up to a decade for a raptor to make it back to the Colonies on its own.

Needless to say, the first thing done with a newly discovered ancient spaceship would not be send it out to space for the next ten years. Besides, I doubt a raptor could even carry enough fuel and supplies for such a journey.

And I'm guessing there's nothing of note on the Colonies anyway. Yeah, twelve planets available for the people of Earth, but I can't imagine there'd be much a push to travel there in 2020.
Considering the scarcity of Earthlike planets established in the series, there are twelve of them all in one star system, that would be considered a pretty valuable thing, and worth the travel. Also consider that the raptor is equipped with a Cylon Jump Drive, there was an episode where they jumped back to Caprica from the fleet in raptors equipped with cylon jump drives, and with the Cylons and humans on Earth, I think a raptor could be equipped with the more advanced Cylon jump computer, it would take fewer jumps to get back to the colonies, and also consider they wouldn't be searching for it, they'll have charts showing right where it is. as for what can happen on the 12 colonies in 150,000 years, I think quite a lot. There may have been humans and cylons left on them for example, the machine race of cylons may still be out there as well.
Old August 31 2012, 01:50 PM   #4
The Wormhole
Admiral

My understanding was that the raptors that were sent back to Caprica were somehow linked to the heavy raider that was leading the group and that an individual raptor didn't have any upgrades to its jump drive. We certainly saw no indication throughout the rest of the series that raptor's jump drives had been upgraded. Indeed, it took Boomer multiple jumps to get from the Fleet to the Cylon Colony by raptor, while Galactica itself made the same journey in one jump.
Old August 31 2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Mars
Captain

My understanding was that the raptors that were sent back to Caprica were somehow linked to the heavy raider that was leading the group and that an individual raptor didn't have any upgrades to its jump drive. We certainly saw no indication throughout the rest of the series that raptor's jump drives had been upgraded. Indeed, it took Boomer multiple jumps to get from the Fleet to the Cylon Colony by raptor, while Galactica itself made the same journey in one jump.
Actually it wasn't a heavy Raider it was Sharon "Athena" that jacked into the Jump Drive Computer, the humans of modern Earth are descended from some of those Cylons as well as the BSG humans, it might be possible for a human to do the same.

I also think it wouldn't be just one raptor. One possibility is they would bury a broken raptor as a marker and in the broken raptor is a map of the locations of various functional raptors on the Moon. By 2020, we should have the technology to reach the Moon on our own and go fetch those raptors. The Moon is an excellent place to store them, as Neil Armstrong's footprints are still there even though he is dead. The best way to preserve a functional raptor on the Moon would be to bury it under a couple of feet of lunar regolith to protect it from micrometeors, or perhaps stole them away in a lunar lava tunnel, and for 150,000 years they should stay well preserved, which would be better than storing them on Earth where they are exposed to the elements. Plenty of raptors and other vehicles would be required to shuttle humans and Cylon models from the fleet to the Earth surface at any rate. The Big Capital ships would go into the Sun, but the smaller ones would still be needed to ferry people to various places on Earth until they settled down.
Old September 1 2012, 03:01 AM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

You never know...

I've always hewn to the idea that Earth will eventually send out a fleet of its own to scout for a colony world. May take a century or more, but they'll get there.

Old September 1 2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Mars
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
You never know...

I've always hewn to the idea that Earth will eventually send out a fleet of its own to scout for a colony world. May take a century or more, but they'll get there.

I think 150,000 years ages a planet well, it would be like a mini Star Trek to explore those planets, all in a dull and very boring Galaxy without the Cylons to attack and members of the BSG fleet at each other's throats which is a new BSG tradition. I wouldn't count on any time travel episodes either, time travel just doesn't happen in BSG, not does most of the episode fodder in Star Trek either, but for the twelve colonies there may have been survivors at high altitudes eeking out a living as small tribes and gradually moving to lower elevations as the radiation fades. Great civilizations could have come and gone in the meantime, 150,000 years is a long time in human historical terms.