RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,730
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 921
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 28 2012, 06:36 PM   #766
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Ira Behr wrote:
God that pictures rocks! But since Ira is a guy then how can he be lesbian? I can sum up Meridian with these choice words: the episode was a big f*** you to Jadzia's character and the audience. Jeez! Can Jadzia possibly reach such shallow depths?

I think without the appearance of Jeffrey Combs this episode would have had a rating of 0.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 06:43 PM   #767
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Here we are, the crème de la crème of romance-of-the-week episodes. Actually, that's an erroneous use of that phrase but I don't know the French word for santorum.
Win!

Meridian sucks. Suuucks.
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 06:51 PM   #768
MacLeod
Admiral

From memory it was based "Meredian" was based loosely on Brigadoon
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 07:24 PM   #769
apenpaap
Commodore

I'll let Stephen Fry sum up my opinion of the A-plot:

The B-plot is so-so, good for a few laughs. But it seems like a masterpiece thanks to sharing an episode with that awful A-plot.
Old January 28 2012, 08:04 PM   #770
DS9 Gal AZ
Captain

I think the people at DS9 flat-out admitted "Meridian" wasn't one of their best moments. I don't mind a romance-of-the-week if it's done well, but this was far too WTF for me to enjoy. The B-plot was definitely the saving grace of the episode, and another nice not-so-subtle hint to the fans that Odo is in love with Kira - look at his reaction when she pretends to be involved with Odo to get rid of Jeffrey Combs' pervy character.
Old January 28 2012, 08:57 PM   #771
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

Whatever is this 'b-plot' people keep talking about with this episode? All I remember is the awful, terrible, horrendous...

(Googles "awful thesaurus")

...abominable, alarming, appalling, atrocious, deplorable, depressing, dire, disgusting, distressing, dreadful, fearful, frightful, ghastly, grody, gross*, gruesome, grungy, harrowing, hideous, horrendous [double!], horrible, horrific, horrifying, nasty, offensive, raunchy, repulsive, shocking, stinking, synthetic, tough, ugly, unpleasant, unsightly love story, blocking out any and all possibility there is anything of worth in Meridian.

I demand Godben strike that 1 star from the record!
Old January 28 2012, 09:15 PM   #772
defiantfan
Lieutenant Commander

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Now "Heathers on the Hill" will be playing in my head every time I watch this episode.
defiantfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 11:46 PM   #773
Seven of Five
Commodore

The one star is worth it, Admiral Shran. The B plot is just a funny little thing. Basically, Jeffrey Combs, or whetever character he's playing this week, shows up, and wants Quark to make him a sleazy holographic program with Kira as the star. Quark does this, but Kira gets wind of it. Later when Shran/Weyoun/Brunt/whoever goes into ther holosuite, we find Quark's head on the female body that was originally Kira!

It's certainly not series-best comedy by any stretch, but it's funny, and it seems a lot better when compared with the rest of the awful episode.

Romance of the week is a sucky concept - we've talked about it a lot already in this thread. I'm just not sure why Jadzia would fall in love with that boring guy so quickly, and also be willing to trap her symbiant in that sucky existence for the rest of its life.

It's absolute nonsense, and I wish that the story had turned out be a drug-induced side-quest of Quark's holoprogram.
Old January 29 2012, 06:54 AM   #774
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
The one star is worth it, Admiral Shran.
I agree, but I think you meant to say Sykonee instead of me.

To be honest, I had forgotten that this B-plot was in this episode. It's something that I at least remember with some joy, unlike the rest of this santorum.

Seriously, Trek has only done one romance-of-the-week episode that was any good, and this is not it!

I remember when I first watched Meridian when it originally aired. My dad walked into the living room during the scene where Dax is asked to stay and she gleefully responds with "WHAT DO YOU THINK?!" and throws her arms around Deral. He said "what the hell are you watching here?!" I responded with.... "yeah, I know, it's not one of the great ones is it?" To which he said "GREAT?! Christ, it's not even any good!" He then turned around and walked out. I don't blame him.

Recently, I've had my parents watching all of DS9 for the first time. When they got to Meridian, they both said that it was okay. Senility is the only explanation I can think of.
Old January 29 2012, 06:55 AM   #775
Admiral Shran
Admiral

defiantfan wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Now "Heathers on the Hill" will be playing in my head every time I watch this episode.
This ought to help get that out of your head....

Old January 29 2012, 09:03 AM   #776
Seven of Five
Commodore

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
I agree, but I think you meant to say Sykonee instead of me.
Oops my bad! I was distracted with the whole Jeffrey Combs thing.

Your parents found it alright though? That's another for you.
Old January 29 2012, 09:10 AM   #777
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Your parents found it alright though? That's another for you.
Absolutely, I even called my dad on it - telling him what he had said the first time he caught me watching it. My mom had never seen it before.

Dad just laughed about it and off we thankfully went to Defiant.
Old January 29 2012, 11:36 AM   #778
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Romance of the week is a sucky concept - we've talked about it a lot already in this thread. I'm just not sure why Jadzia would fall in love with that boring guy so quickly, and also be willing to trap her symbiant in that sucky existence for the rest of its life.
I thought a way to salvage the episode would be to suggest that the Dax symbiont was tired of living and overpowered the will of Jadzia to go somewhere where it could eventually die. I mean, we never really know how the symbionts feel about living so long, maybe they have a 'curse of the immortals' thing going on.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 04:46 PM   #779
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Ln X wrote: View Post
God that pictures rocks!
It's a screencap from some behind the scenes documentary I watched on Youtube some years back, which is why the quality is so crappy. I just wanted an image of him wearing the t-shirt but the only time it was in full view was when he did that with his arms, but that just ended up making the image even better!

Sykonee wrote: View Post
Whatever is this 'b-plot' people keep talking about with this episode?

It keeps the star.

He said "what the hell are you watching here?!" I responded with.... "yeah, I know, it's not one of the great ones is it?" To which he said "GREAT?! Christ, it's not even any good!" He then turned around and walked out. I don't blame him.
Your dad has better taste than mine. I remember watching some rerun of The Way of the Warrior, the big battle was just getting underway when my dad walked in, watched it for about 5 seconds and said "Not this crap again" and walked out. Crap?! The Khitomer Accord had just broken down and the Federation and Klingons were descending into war just as the Founders wanted, and there was an action scene taking place on a scale not before seen on Star Trek? Crap?!

I still pretend to care about him for the sake of my eventual inheritance, but there's no love there anymore.

This ought to help get that out of your head....

Get that Fair Haven crap out of this thread!
Old January 30 2012, 05:27 AM   #780
Admiral Shran
Admiral

^ Well, at least it's a Scotsman pretending to be an Irish stereotype this time instead of two white Americans and an Asian. Eventually, we'll find an actual Irishman to do it. If we're lucky, we might even one day have an Irishman that isn't a stereotype (other than O'Brien that is).