Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 19 2011, 10:12 PM   #46
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Damn... your good TheGodBen, really good. You considering issues I never even thought about in Past Prologue, I tip my hat to you sir in awed respect.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 10:32 PM   #47
Son of Quark
Lieutenant

TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Severed Fingers wrote: View Post
I never really saw Garak as coming onto Bashir, which is odd because I'm gay and I always see homosexual subtext when there was never intended to be any. But my perception of him was impaired again because I saw season one after I'd seen 2-4. Or maybe more, I have trouble remembering a decade ago. I can barely remember yesterday.

Whether he is or not, he's Garak, and he's pretty amazing. I agree that this episode isn't the best showcase for him, but it was a pretty decent follow-up to Emissary.
I never saw that or even thought about it. My wife usually picks up on those things big time and she never did either. I never thought of Garak coming on to Bashir, I always thought Bashir an idealistic young man, fantasizing about being a spy, and Garak taking a liking to him and also fucking with him. It seemed like Garak liked messing with Bashir's mind at times.
Old October 19 2011, 10:38 PM   #48
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Son of Quark wrote: View Post
I always thought Bashir an idealistic young man, fantasizing about being a spy, and Garak taking a liking to him and also fucking with him.
Perhaps a rather unfortunate choice of words, there.
Old October 19 2011, 10:57 PM   #49
flemm
Fleet Captain

Past Prologue is a really strong episode. There are times in season one where I don't really feel like I'm watching DS9 yet, but not here.

This despite a basically gratuitous cameo from TNG characters.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 11:01 PM   #50
Son of Quark
Lieutenant

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I always thought Bashir an idealistic young man, fantasizing about being a spy, and Garak taking a liking to him and also fucking with him.
You're right. Garak liked messing with Bashir's mind what I meant.
Old October 19 2011, 11:08 PM   #51
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Don't worry, that was quite clear. I just found it amusing. Probably just being a little immature.
Old October 19 2011, 11:18 PM   #52
Seven of Five
Commodore

flemm wrote: View Post
Past Prologue is a really strong episode. There are times in season one where I don't really feel like I'm watching DS9 yet, but not here.

Ugh, I hated Lursa and B'Etor in this episode. They just didn't need to be there at all. DS9 grew stronger the more it relied on what made it unique (Bajoran politics, interesting characters), instead of turning to old TNG crutches such as anomoly/forehead of the week, and random TNG guest stars.
Old October 19 2011, 11:28 PM   #53
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Every time I watch it, I am surprised on how good Past Prologue is.
Old October 19 2011, 11:36 PM   #54
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

flemm wrote: View Post

Ugh, I hated Lursa and B'Etor in this episode. They just didn't need to be there at all. DS9 grew stronger the more it relied on what made it unique (Bajoran politics, interesting characters), instead of turning to old TNG crutches such as anomoly/forehead of the week, and random TNG guest stars.
They didn't do a whole lot though, so I liked the in and out reference.
Old October 19 2011, 11:36 PM   #55
Son of Quark
Lieutenant

Don't worry, that was quite clear. I just found it amusing. Probably just being a little immature.

I'm immature as hell. My wife says I act like a 2 year old...
Old October 20 2011, 12:42 AM   #56
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I never really saw Garak as coming onto Bashir, which is odd because I'm gay and I always see homosexual subtext when there was never intended to be any. But my perception of him was impaired again because I saw season one after I'd seen 2-4. Or maybe more, I have trouble remembering a decade ago. I can barely remember yesterday.
I'm in the same boat as you, I only saw this episode after watching the rest of the series so I never saw the gay subtext, although I did feel that something was off about the performance. I didn't get that Garak was coming on to Bashir until I read that snippet from Andrew Robinson. But just look at the comments on this clip, a lot of people out there clearly picked up on it.

My personal explanation for it is that Garak assumed that Bashir was gay and hit on him in order to have a way in with the command staff, and when he realised that Bashir wasn't gay he cut it out. I don't think that Garak was gay, straight, bi, or pan, but that he was willing to swing whatever way he needed to in order to achieve his aims.

Speaking of "Andrew Robinson". I now have a funny image of Garak staring at an upside down sign in Manchester and thinking that Cardassians would never make such a mistake.
Old October 20 2011, 01:22 AM   #57
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

That scene is priceless if you look at it like that.

Personally, I looked at it from several angles at first watch. I couldn't decide if Garak was a spy, a homicidal psychopath looking for a victim, hitting on Bashir, or all three at the same time. And then I had cycles of theories going by the end of the first season.

Such an awesome character.

Last edited by The Blob; October 20 2011 at 04:11 PM.
The Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 01:35 AM   #58
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

While we're on the topic of 'Garak Revelations', I honestly couldn't tell if he was a dude or a gal for a while there - I'm talking at least 3 or 4 episodes worth. Robinson played him so asexually, plus some of his outfits didn't do his 'moobs' any favors.

I mean, I was pretty sure he was a guy, but sometimes...
Old October 20 2011, 02:26 AM   #59
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I think that Garak was likely gay or bisexual. However, I am not sure what his degree of interest in Bashir really was, in that way--whether he used behavior that could be taken as sexual advances as a means of throwing Bashir off balance, or if there was anything there.

As for Bashir, I see nothing that suggests any interest in men. One would expect that someone as observant as an Obsidian Order agent would notice that. Which leads me back to the deliberately unsettling/manipulation theory, a ploy to keep Bashir guessing about Garak's objectives.
Old October 20 2011, 08:55 AM   #60
Seven of Five
Commodore

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
My personal explanation for it is that Garak assumed that Bashir was gay and hit on him in order to have a way in with the command staff, and when he realised that Bashir wasn't gay he cut it out. I don't think that Garak was gay, straight, bi, or pan, but that he was willing to swing whatever way he needed to in order to achieve his aims.
Yeah I can get on board with that. Spies would do anything to get closer to confidential information, so Garak would be totally willing to do whatever was necessary.