Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 11 2011, 01:41 AM   #271
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
The moment when Marritza breaks down and starts crying is possibly my favourite moment of the series, to be honest. Very powerful.
That made me cry. I just really felt for the guy. And it was so unexpected.

I had absolutely no expectations going into this one when I watched it, and like TheGodBen says I initially thought it was going to be a typically preachy Trek episode about The Importance of Tolerance. The twist made it special for me, and as surprising as when Picard didn't order Worf to help that Romulan in "The Enemy" (I think that's the episode...is it?) and the Romulan died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2011, 04:17 AM   #272
Admiral Shran
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Pretty much all the scenes are worthwhile, except perhaps for the Quark scene, which felt like they were trying to shoehorn him into the episode, but even that's not too bad.
IMO, even the Quark scene works because, IIRC, it's the only lighthearted moment in an otherwise intensely powerful episode. All in all, Duet definitely deserves 5 stars.
Old November 11 2011, 09:57 AM   #273
Seven of Five
Commodore

I don't know what to say about Duet that hasn't been said already. It deserves its plaudits, as it's an episode that almost reduced me to tears when I first saw it. It gets me every time I rewatch. It's brilliant!

You have your Trekkian tolerance-type special episode, but it is merely the cover of the mystery that is enthralling. The twist is one I just wasn't expecting, and then of course the ending leaves me crippled.

This is the most definite hint yet of the type of story DS9 would later revel in.
Old November 11 2011, 01:06 PM   #274
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Just to nitpick a little bit (because I like too ) but why didn't Kira call for medical help after Marritza was stabbed?
Old November 11 2011, 03:40 PM   #275
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I suspect Marritza was already dead. That guy probably knew exactly where to stab a Cardassian for instant death, and Kira probably knew too.
Old November 11 2011, 05:35 PM   #276
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Of course, the behind-the-scenes answer is that it's much more dramatic for Kira to kneel over his dead body in silence. But, I do find it odd that nobody on the Promenade was either getting or offering help.
Old November 11 2011, 07:32 PM   #277
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I suspect most of the Bajorans didn't want to offer help--for the same reason that he was murdered: because he was a Cardassian.
Old November 12 2011, 01:59 PM   #278
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

^ Indeed. Even if they weren't malicious, a dying Cardassian might well simply be something they respond to with apathy rather than concern. They're not vicious or even aggressive but they haven't learned how to care what happens to Cardassians. People like the real Darhe'el took that from them, which is perhaps an even greater loss than the lives taken.

Also, if anything, I find it realistic that the anti-Cardassian sentiment might take the more subtle form of "huh, there goes a gray-skin, he's bleeding out fast" rather than "die, spoonhead, die!" (with the obvious exception of the man who stabbed Marritza, who was "die spoonhead, die!")...

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; November 12 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2011, 02:27 PM   #279
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Good points. I can easily see that for all the Bajorans standing around. However, also present were Odo, Morn, at least one non-Bajoran alien and at least two Starfleet people.

With Odo, I guess you could argue that he's busy restraining the killer. But it's odd that everyone else just stands back and watches Kira mourn.
Old November 12 2011, 02:51 PM   #280
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
Good points. I can easily see that for all the Bajorans standing around. However, also present were Odo, Morn, at least one non-Bajoran alien and at least two Starfleet people.

With Odo, I guess you could argue that he's busy restraining the killer. But it's odd that everyone else just stands back and watches Kira mourn.
Hmm, good point. Perhaps they were uncomfortable? Kira is clearly strongly affected, not just by the death but by her own newly found certainty that Cardassians in general are not The Enemy. Maybe they were keeping their distance from her, respectfully or in discomfort, rather than from Marritza? And I guess people do have a tendency to stand and gawk.

Of course, we probably have to accept that in reality it's the dramatic visual that explains it, but oh well.
Old November 12 2011, 02:57 PM   #281
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Of course, we probably have to accept that in reality it's the dramatic visual that explains it, but oh well.
That's pretty much it right there.
Old November 12 2011, 09:12 PM   #282
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I especially like the Bajoran woman that walks up to Bajoran guy (top left) without noticing that there's a guy dying on the floor, and the guy's all like "Oh, hey".
Old November 13 2011, 12:10 AM   #283
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Clearly she was so traumatized by Cardassians previously that her brain no longer registers the sight of them.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2011, 12:31 AM   #284
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

It's because that shot was an homage to DaVinci's The Last Supper. Twelve disciples--twelve people in the shot plus Marritza. Very clever.

But I don't know what the lady who walks up and starts a conversation is supposed to represent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2011, 01:51 AM   #285
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Shatnertage wrote: View Post
It's because that shot was an homage to DaVinci's The Last Supper. Twelve disciples--twelve people in the shot plus Marritza. Very clever.

But I don't know what the lady who walks up and starts a conversation is supposed to represent.
Presumably the group of people who say "There's a crowd of people here. Ooh! Dead body! Can I poke it with a stick or would that break the mood?"
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote