USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 28 2011, 03:32 AM   #136
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

It lasts a long time in our memories.

DonIago wrote: View Post
Regarding Siddig's performance, I wonder whether it's possible he was specifically asked to perform in that manner. This seems like a situation where the director may be partially (or even fully) responsible, if they were satisfied with what they got from him.
I looked up the director of this episode, Paul Lynch, on MA earlier today and there's this quote from Wil Wheaton:
He was an Englishman who was always extraordinarily wound up, red-faced, sweating profusely, and infamous for saying "Energy! Energy! Energy! And, and, and, and, action!" before takes. He did this before every take, regardless of whether the scene actually called for "Energy! Energy! Energy!" or not.
That may explain Siddig's "electric shock" moment.
Old October 28 2011, 05:17 AM   #137
defiantfan
Lieutenant Commander

In terms of Siddig's performance in "The Passenger" I believe it was explained best in this interview
http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/sc...pace-nine.html
"I'd only been on the set a couple of weeks before we started filming The Passenger. That episode was my nemesis and a total nightmare that I had to pull out of a hat. I literally got the script twenty-four hours before we started and then received a phone call from the producers twelve hours later saying, 'Sid, we'd like you to portray a different character for this possessed guy you're going to play. We think the best way to portray a different character is to drop your voice an octave. Can you do that?' "I don't think they understood how incredibly difficult that would be. They must have read somewhere that Laurence Olivier had dropped his voice an octave for Macbeth," he laughs, "and thought all actors can do that. I couldn't, of course, and by the time we actually started shooting I ended up growling like some sort of desperate tramp. We ended up having to reloop [dub] the whole thing in postproduction."
defiantfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 05:24 AM   #138
Admiral Shran
Admiral

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
I'm still thankful I skipped that.
In fairness, there were some good parts in that movie. This bit, for example.
Oh, you evil, sadistic, little....

I should of known better than to click that link. Now what has been seen can ever never be unseen.

flemm wrote: View Post
The Passenger was never going to be anything more than mediocre, but I think the episode actually works ok, until... something... happens... to... Alexander... Siddig... Yikes.
If it wasn't for the terrible acting, I would probably give it two stars, which is just one-half star ahead of what TheGodBen gave it before the TNG rule was applied. To it's credit, the opening scene has Kira almost tear Bashir a new one for his pompousness.
Old October 28 2011, 05:27 AM   #139
Admiral Shran
Admiral

defiantfan wrote: View Post
"We ended up having to reloop [dub] the whole thing in postproduction."
If what we got in the episode is the reloop, or BETTER version, than all I can say is.... WOW!
Old October 28 2011, 09:36 AM   #140
Seven of Five
Commodore

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
It lasts a long time in our memories.

DonIago wrote: View Post
Regarding Siddig's performance, I wonder whether it's possible he was specifically asked to perform in that manner. This seems like a situation where the director may be partially (or even fully) responsible, if they were satisfied with what they got from him.
I looked up the director of this episode, Paul Lynch, on MA earlier today and there's this quote from Wil Wheaton:
He was an Englishman who was always extraordinarily wound up, red-faced, sweating profusely, and infamous for saying "Energy! Energy! Energy! And, and, and, and, action!" before takes. He did this before every take, regardless of whether the scene actually called for "Energy! Energy! Energy!" or not.
That may explain Siddig's "electric shock" moment.
I wonder why they hired him again?

Hmm, just looked at Wikipedia, he directed The Naked Now, 11001001, Unnatural Selection, A Matter of Time and The First Duty. Some decent episodes there really, though The Naked Now was a bit frightening 2nd episode off the bat!

In terms of Siddig's performance in "The Passenger" I believe it was explained best in this interview
http://scifiandtvtalk.typepad.com/sc...pace-nine.html
"I'd only been on the set a couple of weeks before we started filming The Passenger. That episode was my nemesis and a total nightmare that I had to pull out of a hat. I literally got the script twenty-four hours before we started and then received a phone call from the producers twelve hours later saying, 'Sid, we'd like you to portray a different character for this possessed guy you're going to play. We think the best way to portray a different character is to drop your voice an octave. Can you do that?' "I don't think they understood how incredibly difficult that would be. They must have read somewhere that Laurence Olivier had dropped his voice an octave for Macbeth," he laughs, "and thought all actors can do that. I couldn't, of course, and by the time we actually started shooting I ended up growling like some sort of desperate tramp. We ended up having to reloop [dub] the whole thing in postproduction."
Well that goes to some lengths to explain why the episode was so dreadful! I can't believe the producers would have just asked Sid to alter his voice just 12 hours before shooting would start. Absolute madness! No prep time at all really. Not that it shows much. Oh wait...

"We ended up having to reloop [dub] the whole thing in postproduction."
If what we got in the episode is the reloop, or BETTER version, than all I can say is.... WOW!
I know. How bad must the original have been? I'm surprised this hasn't been a DVD extra.

Poor DS9, having such a torrid time in season one. It's nowhere near as bad as TNG's first two seasons, but it's probably on par with any one of VOY's. They all had both excellent and terrible episodes in them.
Old October 28 2011, 09:19 PM   #141
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Oh, you evil, sadistic, little....

I should of known better than to click that link. Now what has been seen can ever never be unseen.
You'll be a better man for it. It is only when we suffer true pain that we can enjoy the good times, and that scene was beyond painful.

Move Along Home (**)

Here's a controversial opinion: I don't hate this episode. I should, while watching it there were plenty of things that I could see were objectively bad, but there's a big nostalgia factor for me with this episode. Along with Captive Pursuit, this is the episode I most remember from when the show first aired, so there's that. But there's more than just simple nostalgia, this episode opened my mind to a simple concept that I hadn't considered before; 3D games. Back then, all the games I played on my Commodore 64 were in 2D, they were either top-down adventures or side-scrollers, I had never played in an immersive 3D environment before. So the idea that Sisko, Kira and the rest were in a 3D game made up of corridors and rooms, with puzzles that they had to navigate, was completely new to me. The first game of that type that I played was Doom, which would only be released later that year. So, as a gamer, Move Along Home opened my young mind to possibilities that I had never imagined.

Which is why it's unfortunate that it's not a good episode. It's tries to be surreal, but it's too stuffy to successfully pull it off. There's also a big disconnect between what Sisko and co are going through in the game and what Quark is experiencing outside the game. How do the Wadi know what's going on? How does Quark know that they're not just yanking his chain? Where exactly were Sisko and co? Why were Sisko and the others picked as the pieces in the game? Why has nobody nuked the Wadi from orbit for pulling this stunt before?

There are a couple of good points to the episode. The Sisko/Jake relationship is touched on quite heavily early in the episode, which is arguably the best aspect of Sisko's character right now. You also have the scene where Quark breaks down and realises that there are limits to his greed and he's not willing to sacrifice innocent people. But overall, not a good episode, stupid in most places, but I let it off lightly because of nostalgia.
Old October 28 2011, 10:13 PM   #142
Seven of Five
Commodore

I think I agree with two stars. It has some terrible bits in it - I mean Allamaraine? Really? But then you look at some of the dreck we've endured so far Like Babel, Q-Less and The Passenger, and you end up looking upon it a bit more favourably. Well, sort of!

Last edited by Seven of Five; October 28 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2011, 10:24 PM   #143
The Dominion
Fleet Captain

At least Sisko had a memorable first contact experience.
Old October 28 2011, 11:17 PM   #144
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I quite like Move Along Home.

Before the men in white coats are summoned to drag me off, I should say I enjoy it for what it is, and what it is certainly isn't quality, at least not when considered objectively. It's a poor episode, without much in the way of sense or purpose. But as someone who still enjoys several shows aimed at children (those with the spark of adult intelligence and humour to them), I can sit through it quite happily if I equate it to those cartoons. Of course, I admit that's not really a fair comparison: the quality in those kid's shows is genuine because they hit above their supposed target level - this falls beneath its show's level, so any quality is an illusion on my part. But it's an illusion I'm willing to partake in because I find I get genuine, if minor, enjoyment out of it when I do. Consider the episode sub-DS9, a departure from the usual fare wherein the series briefly becomes an above-average cartoon. Move Along Home is inarguably unworthy of a place among the canon of average-to-good DS9 episodes, but if you just accept that out the gate you can buy into the fun, at least somewhat. I know this thread is a rewatch review, so taking an episode out of all context like that probably runs counter to our purpose here, but why torture yourself when you can surrender to the madness?

Allamaraine, count to four...
Old October 28 2011, 11:40 PM   #145
Son of Quark
Lieutenant

TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I like this episode as well.

Allamaraine, then three more...
Old October 29 2011, 02:41 AM   #146
defiantfan
Lieutenant Commander

Son of Quark wrote: View Post
I like this episode as well.

As do I as far as first contacts go this was pretty funny to me. Let's not forget Odo growling QUARK!

Allamaraine, if you can see....
defiantfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 05:33 AM   #147
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Son of Quark wrote: View Post
Allamaraine, if you can see....
Allamaraine, you'll come with me.

In the not so decent past, I used to say that this was easily the worst Season One episode. Now, I'm not so sure. As a guy who genuinely enjoys TNG's Masks, and is even willing to accept ENT's Precious Cargo, I've been forced to reconsider my opinion of this one.

Is Move Along Home objectively good? Not by a long shot. Is it better than Masks or Precious Cargo? No. Is it absolute dreck? No.

It is nice that they were willing to try something surreal and different and Quark's breakdown is very well handled. So, I'll agree that this is worthy of two stars.
Old October 29 2011, 05:41 AM   #148
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

I like it, its very unpretentious and is a bit of campy Trek fun.

Oh and Siddig's acting was always horrible to me, the guy could NOT act in DS9 or anything after it.
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2011, 05:38 PM   #149
Seven of Five
Commodore

Wow. I thought he was brilliant by the end of DS9, and I very much enjoyed seeing him in Syriana and 24 in partiular. Vertical Limit not so much. Now that film would have fit into DS9's first season.
Old October 29 2011, 09:04 PM   #150
Skywalker
Admiral

He was pretty good in Kingdom of Heaven, too.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote