New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade Genesis Parts 1 and 2
Excellent! - Dino-riffic! 12 9.23%
Above Average - Hey, this is pretty good! 54 41.54%
Average - Well it's an ok start, will see what happens. 42 32.31%
Below Average - Braga..shakes head and moves on.. 16 12.31%
Poor - Dino-Crap 6 4.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 26 2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Tom
Rear Admiral

Terra Nova 1x01&02 - Genesis Parts 1&2 (Grade/Discuss) SPOILERS

From tv.com:

The police raid the Shannon home and arrest the father, Jim Shannon. Shannon realizes he must take drastic measures to keep his family together after his wife, Elisabeth, is selected to travel back to prehistoric times to create a new civilization and, hopefully, help change the future.
Thought I would make an episode grading thread for this double episode, while overall discussion of the series can also be talked about in timothy's thread.
Old September 26 2011, 05:00 PM   #2
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: Terra Nova 1x01&02 - Genesis Parts 1&2 (Grade/Discuss) SPOILERS

I'll be watching the Cowboys take on the Redskins, but I'll DVR the show.

RAMA
Old September 26 2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

I don't expect to be blown away by the premier, but I do kind of like the premise, so hopefully the show does well.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 05:17 PM   #4
McDuff
Lieutenant Commander

I think the premise is horrible. Survival series like Walking Dead with dinosaurs instead. Dinosaurs are unresponsive and boring. You can create many storylines which such things as dinosaurs. It's like Zombies but bigger. But, maybe the writing will be very good and the series will be great nevertheless.
McDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 05:19 PM   #5
Jetfire

I am not sure what to expect...based on the promos it seems like it could go either way.
Old September 26 2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Tom
Rear Admiral

I hope its good, looking for some good scifi'ish type shows to watch this fall. Got Fringe on now and the Walking Dead starting soon.
Old September 26 2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Tom
Rear Admiral

I have a feeling that since it's 85 million years ago they will discover type of intelegent life or force (Alien or Earth based) that was never known about in the present day. hey..it Braga after all, we kinda know how he thinks by now. lol
Old September 26 2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Kind of like this show?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino-Riders

http://www.dinoridersworld.com/mainpage.html

That would be cool if this show becomes a live action reboot of this classic, yet very obscure 80's cartoon series/toy line.
Old September 26 2011, 05:40 PM   #9
Tom
Rear Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Kind of like this show?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino-Riders

http://www.dinoridersworld.com/mainpage.html

That would be cool if this show becomes a live action reboot of this classic, yet very obscure 80's cartoon series/toy line.
I was also thinking that it there could be some intellegent force also, kinda along the lines of the recent, yet cancelled, UK series 'Outcasts'.

As a writer it would be an interesting notion that us humans thought we knew almost everything about Earth's past, but we discover some incredible things we never knew when we go back 85 million years. Not sure how you would maintain a series week by week just having them worry about if the Dino's will get them each week, or this person or that person is lost somewhere, that gets boring really fast. So i'm expecting another element of some type.
Old September 26 2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

yeah I agree, here's hoping.
Old September 26 2011, 05:45 PM   #11
Jetfire

I have no doubt there will be something else as a threat other than the dinosaurs.
Old September 26 2011, 05:49 PM   #12
Tom
Rear Admiral

If done right it could have the potential to be a little like 'Lost', Survivors in a stange land etc.. that sort of thing.
Old September 26 2011, 06:20 PM   #13
The Habs Fan
Commodore

I'm looking forward to the premiere tonight!

It also has a perfectly balanced showrunning team of Brannon Braga and Rene Echevarria (who I think haven't worked together since TNG). Braga's strength is of course the crazy scifi concepts, whereas Echevrria's strength is the smaller character studies. Both have experience developing and producing shows: Braga (TNG, VOY, ENT, Threshold, 24, FlashForward), Echevarria (TNG, DS9, Dark Angel, The 4400, Medium, Castle). So it'll be interesting what they can come up with running a show together.

(The pilot is not written by Braga/Echevarria but instead written by the 2 creators of Terra Nova, so the pilot probably won't give a good indication of the writing).
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 07:09 PM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Jetfire wrote: View Post
I have no doubt there will be something else as a threat other than the dinosaurs.
The best option is to make the people the threat. Character-based drama is the most durable and can keep the audience watching after the dino's get boring.

Tom wrote: View Post
I have a feeling that since it's 85 million years ago they will discover type of intelegent life or force (Alien or Earth based) that was never known about in the present day. hey..it Braga after all, we kinda know how he thinks by now. lol
Mmmmm, I think an out-there twist could really upend the show. Time travel and dinosaurs are sci fi enough. But if they can't pull off the character drama and the ratings crash, they might start in with the desperation moves. That'll be a sign that the show is circling the drain.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 07:39 PM   #15
Daneel
Rear Admiral

I've seen the first hour, so I can only speak to that. I'll grade it once I've seen Part II as well, but I wasn't terribly impressed with Part I. It was rather predictable, and the characters just didn't really grab me. Thus far, I'm leaning toward a grade of "below average".

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Jetfire wrote: View Post
The best option is to make the people the threat. Character-based drama is the most durable and can keep the audience watching after the dino's get boring.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote