Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Comic Book "Reboot."

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Issue #6 came out this week (as well as, I believe, the Donatello one-shot but my LCS didn't have it when I went there the other day.)

The book was good, the artwork is still not impressing me much but it's alright. We're introduced to the mousers and -a bit disturbingly- the turtles stand by while an apparently innocent man gets killed. Anyway, the book has been good but it needs to maybe pick up the pace a bit and get the turtles and April together as well as introduce The Shredder.

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The LCS I go to most of the time was already out of Donatello. :(
    I'm going to try another store tomorrow.

Did manage to pick up issue #6 though.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Captain Craig

^^^
    I want that USB Flash Drive!!

5. Captain Craig

It seems the Donatello micro one shot has not shipped.
    It's not on the list for Jan.25 nor Feb.1

I was starting to think I'd missed it cause I know it was supposed to ship in January originally.

6. Trekker4747

Okay, I know keep not seeing it in the store. The 2nd volume of the original TMNT comic anthology keeps getting delayed too.

7. Admiral_Young

The first volume of the reboot trade is supposed to ship next week guys if you're interested in picking it up.

8. Captain Craig

I finally pre-ordered Volume 2 of the Ultimate TMNT Collection.
    With my Amazon Reward Points I got a further discount on the already discounted price. My price, $14.45 and I'm quite pleased with that. I did the same thing on vol.1 and paid $12, post on page 2. Hoping it's not delayed past the March date. Will post pics when it comes in like I did for the first volume.

Volume 3 is on pre-order for July. I doubt I'll build up enough points to make this one as great a value. I'm going on a bit of a buying 'fast'. My reading and DVD watching is quite full as of now.

9. Captain Craig

Picked up the Leonardo one shot in the micr-series, series.

Really good as it seems it's the first time we see Shredder in action...but not as Shredder. It's interesting how the micro-series is doing a slow burn on revealing him. The build up is good, hope the pay off is as equal to their build up.

10. Trekker4747

I've still been enjoying this book series and surprised to see Splinter is getting his own issue in the Micro-Series.

11. Captain Craig

^^^
    I saw the new Diamond Previews and Casey Jones is getting one also.

So I read issue #9 of the reboot and things are finally coming to a full on boil. The little tangents from the micro one shots are interwoven here and we not only see Karai but the final page reveal of The Shredder.
    No longer in shadow. Not seen as foot soldier in spy mode but full on Shredder!! I so can't wait for issue #10 to arrive.

What also arrived was my TMNT Ultimate Collections vol.2 and it looks as good as the first volume!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ultimate Collection vol.3 is up for pre-order at Amazon but I'm going to hold off a bit more. Release isn't until June. But I will get it as it seems once it's out of stock it's out for awhile. A friend of mine who thought they'd be easily available is regretting that choice as vol.1 has yet to go back to press and has been out of stock for months now. Ebay prices are 200% the original MSRP.

12. Trekker4747

I got the Vol. 2 Anthology this week, (finally!) as well. I swear over the last few months I was getting an eMail once a week saying it was being delayed.

13. Captain Craig

I read TMNT #10 over the weekend. I very nice issue. Heavy on the Splinter side, morose than I might've expected.

So my question is this: It seems Shredder is also cycling through the reincarnation pool but has arrived as human. He seems quite shocked his old nemesis is now a rat etc. So how did Saki manage to come back human and Splinter and his boys not?

14. Admiral_Young

Well, I finally picked up the first reboot trade and am looking forward to reading it. I liked what I read in the first issue, but decided to just wait until it came out to really sit down and enjoy it.

15. Captain Craig

Micro-Series #5 Casey Jones - I really enjoyed this one shot and how Casey is honoring his mothers wish to take care of his father. Even if that method is a bit unorthodox. Really good issue.

TMNT #12 - After Splinter and Shredder went toe/toe it's finally time for Shredder to face the Foursome of Shellbacks. Shredder also finds out the turtles are in fact the reincarnated children. Most all major players are involved in this issue from Angel of the Purple Dragons to Aloplex, the mutated snow leopard this issue seemingly had it all. Even one page, multi paneled with Stockman, Hob and Krang.

I also got my Ultimate edition of the first arc of the relaunch. I could've done without the reproduction of all the issues in pencil. I'd rather have had the first four issues in the micro series but this looks nice next to my Mirage editions.

Assuming it doesn't get pushed back again Ultimate TMNT vol.3 is released in two weeks on Aug. 14.

16. Trekker4747

I've yet to read either of this week's TMNT releases and none of the LCS I visit ever got the Splinter micro series. :shrug:

17. Trekker4747

Okay. My LCS finally got in the "Splinter" one-shot/Micro-Series and I found it to be n excellent issue. The reincarnation idea they're going with for Splinter, the Turtles and Shredder is very interesting and gives the characters that much more depth. (Though it does beg the question on why karma/the universe saw it fit to reincarnate Shredder -a vicious man- as a man, Splinter -of dubious temper but obviously with a measure of "good"- as a rat, and Splinter's children as turtles.

But, the Splinter one-shot was just great. The Casey Jones one-shot? It left me finding Casey as pretty much a sad, almost "tragic", character. Here we've a young man who lost his mother and is left with an abusive father. Now it seems his father wasn't always abusive but became this way over the loss of his wife and feeling insecure about being unable to support his son. But, still, he's abusive towards Casey. And, sadly, Casey puts up with it and shows his father love in turn. Not sure what to make of that but not sure it makes Casey a very strong character.

18. Admiral_Young

I read somewhere last week (I don't remember where now) that Eastman is leaving the reboot comic. Not sure when or who will be taking over, will see if I can dig up any information.

19. Captain Craig

My Ultimate TMNT vol.3 came in so in keeping with the others I posted in the thread here's this one.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

IDW is skipping over the next 20 some issues from the original Mirage run that aren't done by Eastman & Laird with Ultimate TMNT vol.4, which is up for pre-order at Amazon. All the collections thus far have focused on original content done by the E&L team. My memory thinks this starts with issue #48 and runs through issue #60 so I think a vol.5 will be in order based on how many issues per collection they've done. Maybe we'll get some one shots to fill in the gaps?

20. Captain Craig

TMNT #13 - what I liked about this issue is most of serves as a pseudo-epilogue to the prior 18 issues(12 reg +6 micros) that served to introduce all the cast through the first confrontation with Shredder. The brothers are all relaxing in their own way being a family. We see some fall out but development on how Baxter and Krang will be with each other, Krang "opened up" to Baxter so to speak. It ends by matching up to the final moments from the Casey Jones micro issue. With Raphael tearing out of the dwelling to confront Casey's dad, again(he ruffed him up in TMNT #2, but Splinter being the one in pursuit and how the issue ends was a bit interesting.