RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,577
Posts: 5,514,722
Members: 25,154
Currently online: 548
Newest member: MC1367

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 13 2012, 05:59 PM   #1306
SPOCKED
Admiral
 
SPOCKED's Avatar
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

I thought the scene was over and going into commercial when zombie-Shane reanimated. I went to get the popcorn and had to run back. I really loved how that was done! So I suppose one of the big issues for next season will be the baby. Is it Shane's? Is it a zombie? Or is it a V??
SPOCKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 06:02 PM   #1307
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

SPOCKED wrote: View Post
I thought the scene was over and going into commercial when zombie-Shane reanimated. I went to get the popcorn and had to run back. I really loved how that was done! So I suppose one of the big issues for next season will be the baby. Is it Shane's? Is it a zombie? Or is it a V??
On the AMC website in the discussion forum related to Walking Dead, one of the posters was speculating that the virus may be caused by a vaccine [that mutates] administered to the majority of the population which would make is plausible why most people reanimate after death but not necessarily all. It also may make the baby part of the cure solution.

Interesting speculation.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 06:44 PM   #1308
SPOCKED
Admiral
 
SPOCKED's Avatar
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

I have a hard time believing Shane is gone for good. Dale was more of a secondary character (who I hated to see go - he had Shane nailed down and was one of the most interesting of the whole group. And Daryl is just damn cool ) But I always considered Shane a main character so while his "death" was bold, I'm still suspicious. He was certainly the most well written and fully fleshed out character in my opinion. His inner turmoil was amazingly fun; I really looked forward to his weekly bout with the devil. No... this won't do. Someone put Shane back in the show somehow
SPOCKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 06:51 PM   #1309
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

SPOCKED wrote: View Post
Someone put Shane back in the show somehow
A dream sequence I suppose could do that, but it would completely ruin the show's excellent writing IMO thus far.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 07:06 PM   #1310
SPOCKED
Admiral
 
SPOCKED's Avatar
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

DarthTom wrote: View Post
SPOCKED wrote: View Post
Someone put Shane back in the show somehow
A dream sequence I suppose could do that, but it would completely ruin the show's excellent writing IMO thus far.
And I suppose time travel is equally off the table?
SPOCKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 07:39 PM   #1311
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm disappointed that Zombie Shane was dispatched so quickly! Shouldn't they have kept him around for the season finale next week, shuffing and drooling outside the farmhouse?

I'm sticking with the theory that everyone is going to be killed by the zombie virus sooner or later, regardless of whether they are bit - Shane was behaving weirder than usual in this ep, and combined with the way the director was filming him, gave the impression that he was turning into a zombie for most of the episode - with a few people being naturally immune, but of course nobody knowing who is immune until they are put to the test by dying.

And the test is, if they resurrect from death without being a zombie, they'll never be a zombie. And hey, they'll never die, either! Rick has already done this, so it's a good sign for his kids, too. Jury's way out on everyone else.

Yes, the zombie virus was the invention of mad scientists trying to devise an immortality vaccine! But it went terribly, terribly wrong, as these things are wont to do...

I think Shane is gone for good (except maybe for flashbacks, for which he needs to grow back his curls) because Bernthal's got himself a new job which sounds pretty awesome! This has been rumored for a while now, but I guess they were being coy so as not to telegraph Shane's fate too obviously.

The actor has landed the lead role in Darabont's TNT cop pilot, L.A. Noir, the network can confirm now that Bernthal has been killed off AMC’s breakout zombie series on last night's heavily hyped episode.

...

Bernthal is set to play Joe Teague, the LAPD cop at the heart of the series that revolves around the police force's pursuit of mobster Mickey Cohen. He joins former Heroes star Milo Ventimiglia, who will play a former marine who served with Bernthal’s character during WWII and is now a budding lawyer groomed to be a master “fixer” for the mob.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 07:39 PM   #1312
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

SPOCKED wrote: View Post
I have a hard time believing Shane is gone for good. Dale was more of a secondary character (who I hated to see go - he had Shane nailed down and was one of the most interesting of the whole group. And Daryl is just damn cool ) But I always considered Shane a main character so while his "death" was bold, I'm still suspicious. He was certainly the most well written and fully fleshed out character in my opinion. His inner turmoil was amazingly fun; I really looked forward to his weekly bout with the devil. No... this won't do. Someone put Shane back in the show somehow
I agree. Well not so much with them putting him back in. But what an important part of the show he was. I don't know how it's going to work without him. I'm not sure I'm going to like it as much.

I don't think they can stand to lose anymore of the origional group at this point. Though it does look, from the preview, that hershel is going to stay and go down with the farm.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 07:41 PM   #1313
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Heh, Temis, they've been reading your posts, they actually mentioned "Ringing the Dinner Bell" in this episode.
Where are my residuals!

Yknow we could really use a zombie emoticon...

As for the betting, Rick and Carl are definitely safe. It's too early in the story to kill Lori, Andrea or Glen. Darryl is safe because he's needed for the resident badass role now that Shane is gone. They'd probably be embarassed to kill off T-Dog after ignoring him for so long. He'll get some decent development and then die, maybe next season. Carol is eminently expendable. I don't see much reason why any of the Herschel family needs to survive next week's episode.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 07:54 PM   #1314
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

I just might stop watching if carol dies. I think Daryl needs her to continue growing. Didn't you see the way he was looking at her?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 07:59 PM   #1315
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: hillsville
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

^Yes, I did. I wish they would get more screen time. They've been showing the little scenes between them, and it's clear that they are suited for each other. She understands him and she's the only one he feels connected to. I hope they continue to develop that relationship---but as we've seen, almost anyone could die at any time.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 08:03 PM   #1316
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I'm sticking with the theory that everyone is going to be killed by the zombie virus sooner or later, regardless of whether they are bit - Shane was behaving weirder than usual in this ep, and combined with the way the director was filming him, gave the impression that he was turning into a zombie for most of the episode - with a few people being naturally immune, but of course nobody knowing who is immune until they are put to the test by dying.

And the test is, if they resurrect from death without being a zombie, they'll never be a zombie. And hey, they'll never die, either! Rick has already done this, so it's a good sign for his kids, too. Jury's way out on everyone else.

Yes, the zombie virus was the invention of mad scientists trying to devise an immortality vaccine! But it went terribly, terribly wrong, as these things are wont to do...

no.

And god forbid they trot out the old trope of the baby being "special". This isn't "V".
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 08:07 PM   #1317
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

The virus can't be a vaccine or it wouldn't be worldwide. It also can't be genetically altered foods or any other industrial thing. Nothing would get that much world wide exposure. It has to be airborn.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 08:18 PM   #1318
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Yeah I'm not counting on "value to the story" to save anyone. Wouldn't Shane have been interesting to keep on hand, with the rest of the group striving to live up to Dale's ideals? This show isn't playing by a lot of the normal rules of storytelling, which is good - makes it more unpredictable.

So can we officially assume now that what CDC Guy whispered to Rick is "you're all infected"?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 08:26 PM   #1319
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

wissaboo wrote: View Post
The virus can't be a vaccine or it wouldn't be worldwide. It also can't be genetically altered foods or any other industrial thing. Nothing would get that much world wide exposure. It has to be airborn.
I disagree. You have to consider how long the virus may have incubated. Diseases get spread through airplane travel all the time, you only need 1 person to travel somewhere before they turn, and then after they turn, bite someone and it can expand from there. Look at the AIDs virus.

It may have started from an industrial accident, or a food product, and then gotten into the blood supply or an Industrial accident that polluted the ocean for weeks or years without anyone noticing, and spread about in that manner
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2012, 08:29 PM   #1320
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Sindatur wrote: View Post
wissaboo wrote: View Post
The virus can't be a vaccine or it wouldn't be worldwide. It also can't be genetically altered foods or any other industrial thing. Nothing would get that much world wide exposure. It has to be airborn.
I disagree. You have to consider how long the virus may have incubated. Diseases get spread through airplane travel all the time, you only need 1 person to travel somewhere before they turn, and then after they turn, bite someone and it can expand from there. Look at the AIDs virus.

It may have started from an industrial accident, or a food product, and then gotten into the blood supply or an Industrial accident that polluted the ocean for weeks or years without anyone noticing, and spread about in that manner
unless there was some trigger where it layed dormant for years or even decades then simultaneously became active again I just don't see that as possible. It has to be like a cold or flu. And even that normally takes a year or so to cover the whole globe.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
frank darabont, horror, robert kirkman, the walking dead, twd, zombies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.