RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,349
Posts: 5,502,675
Members: 25,120
Currently online: 586
Newest member: Gaytrekgeek

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 6 2012, 07:47 PM   #1201
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Wow. Well that played out differently than I thought it would. I got wind of some spoiler going around regarding a major death, and I was sure Shane was a goner. (He might still be, I'm suspicious about that new job that John Bernthal has; of course the producers would say it doesn't mean anything.)

Amazing how the zombies can sneak up on people when they really need to. Usually, they're shambling around and groaning and slobbering enough that a reasonably alert person in an open field should hear something...

the G-man wrote: View Post
One thing about the show this season that consistently bugs me is the tendency for characters to go off alone. One would think (and the recon missions into Atlanta seemed to confirm) that it would be SOP that no one goes anywhere without backup.
Yep. What with those amazingly silent zombies, everyone needs eyes in the back of their heads.

And Darryl should be forced to return to the main camp or driven out of the group and away from the farm entirely. He's endangering himself needlessly - how is he going to fend off zombies in his sleep? And if he gets bit, it won't necessarily be obvious to everyone immediately. He's a zombie waiting to happen. If this group is willing to be ruthless about the possible threat posed by Raymond, why aren't they similarly ruthless about Darryl? They need to start thinking ahead about all potential threats out there.
that reminds me, Andrea being banned from the house didn't last long did it
Yeah. That's good because with Dale gone, Andrea is now the group's voice of reason. Bet she is glad now that she at least sided with Dale...

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; March 6 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 08:09 PM   #1202
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Yeah. That's good because with Dale gone, Andrea is now the group's voice of reason. Bet she is glad now that she at least sided with Dale...
Was this episode or not the first one where we learn what her profession was, an attorney, before the zombie acopolypse?

If so, I missed that in prior dialogue.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 08:14 PM   #1203
Kail
Commodore
 
Kail's Avatar
 
Location: Ga.
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Dream wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
OMG! TWD did AMAZING in the ratings! There is no way AMC won't order a season 3 right now!
Unless the actors and production staff get greedy.
They have no say on how much money they make. AMC has all the power.

The only one being greedy is AMC. They slashed the budget for seasson two even though the show was getting ridiculously high ratings in season one and even fired the original showrunner.
This also makes no sense to me. Why take a very successful show and screw with it? Idiots.
__________________
Star Trek: The Animated Series
http://startrekanimated.com

I'm very selective about the reality I accept.
Kail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 09:12 PM   #1204
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Kail wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post

Unless the actors and production staff get greedy.
They have no say on how much money they make. AMC has all the power.

The only one being greedy is AMC. They slashed the budget for seasson two even though the show was getting ridiculously high ratings in season one and even fired the original showrunner.
This also makes no sense to me. Why take a very successful show and screw with it? Idiots.
someone told me the entire budget cut was the salary of one of the writers in the first season. So production budget wasn't actually cut.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 10:02 PM   #1205
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

wissaboo wrote: View Post
someone told me the entire budget cut was the salary of one of the writers in the first season. So production budget wasn't actually cut.
Did that someone happen to work for AMC?

There were huge budget cuts for season two. AMC was trying to be as cheap as possible for one of the biggest shows on cable.

Here is an article with more of an explaination.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...d-fired-221449
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 10:13 PM   #1206
scnj
Captain
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

wissaboo wrote: View Post
Kail wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post

They have no say on how much money they make. AMC has all the power.

The only one being greedy is AMC. They slashed the budget for seasson two even though the show was getting ridiculously high ratings in season one and even fired the original showrunner.
This also makes no sense to me. Why take a very successful show and screw with it? Idiots.
someone told me the entire budget cut was the salary of one of the writers in the first season. So production budget wasn't actually cut.
It's also worth noting that Darabont reportedly went over budget several times during season one, and the first episode shot for this season was a disaster. They managed to salvage the highway footage and recut it with the second episode.

I'll also note that I think the season two episodes Darabont didn't have a hand in have been a marked improvement over the ones he did.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 10:21 PM   #1207
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

scnj wrote: View Post
I'll also note that I think the season two episodes Darabont didn't have a hand in have been a marked improvement over the ones he did.
That's debatable. Many fans still consider season one to be the best season.

What we know for sure is that AMC slashed the budget for season two. Most hit shows don't have that problem until around season 5 when the ratings start to fall.

How much more will AMC cut the budget next season just so they can pay for that stupid Mad Men? Will the characters spend the entire season sitting in a room?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 11:32 PM   #1208
scnj
Captain
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Dream wrote: View Post
scnj wrote: View Post
I'll also note that I think the season two episodes Darabont didn't have a hand in have been a marked improvement over the ones he did.
That's debatable. Many fans still consider season one to be the best season.
I meant the season two episodes he didn't produce are better than the season two episodes he did produce. Sorry, should have been more clear on that.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 11:45 PM   #1209
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

scnj wrote: View Post
I meant the season two episodes he didn't produce are better than the season two episodes he did produce.
I'll agree, but it really couldn't have helped with AMC breathing down his neck while he started making season two. I imagine his work suffered because of that.

This season as been far less EPIC than season one. Frank Darabont was a big reason for that because of his experience working in movies. He always pushed for the show to be better than what it was. He was rewarded by getting fired.

Spending half the episodes inside the farm this season doesn't help at all. I blame that on AMC since that is one of the results of the budget cuts.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2012, 11:49 PM   #1210
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

scnj wrote: View Post
[...] the first episode shot for this season was a disaster. They managed to salvage the highway footage and recut it with the second episode.
And yet one of the reasons commonly assumed to have resulted in Darabont's departure from the show was his insistence on attempting to salvage a broken episode while AMC was saying to simply move on. So far it seems like the only possible candidate for the episode in question was the premiere (which I thought turned out pretty well).
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 12:16 AM   #1211
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Yeah. That's good because with Dale gone, Andrea is now the group's voice of reason. Bet she is glad now that she at least sided with Dale...
Was this episode or not the first one where we learn what her profession was, an attorney, before the zombie acopolypse?

If so, I missed that in prior dialogue.
That seemed to be the first time I encountered that info, too.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 02:16 PM   #1212
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
That seemed to be the first time I encountered that info, too.
So we learn that Andrea before the zombies was a Civil Rights Attorney. Perhaps that will play into her new role in the group with Dale's absence? Or perhaps it just usless trivia. LOL
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 06:33 PM   #1213
Jax
Admiral
 
Jax's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

First of all Carl is a little prick, I look forward to his death.

I have an issue with the death though? the zombie didn't bite him right? it dug its fingers into him and ripped his chest open How can someone open up anothers person's chest with fingers especially a decomposed walker who clearly has little control over its motor actions. Dale was also a little chubby so your talking about extra layers of fat as well.
__________________
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 06:37 PM   #1214
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral
 
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm not too sure about that either, especially since the thing was also straining really hard to bite him at the same time. Zombies can multitask? Who knew?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2012, 06:54 PM   #1215
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Jax wrote: View Post
First of all Carl is a little prick, I look forward to his death.

I have an issue with the death though? the zombie didn't bite him right? it dug its fingers into him and ripped his chest open How can someone open up anothers person's chest with fingers especially a decomposed walker who clearly has little control over its motor actions. Dale was also a little chubby so your talking about extra layers of fat as well.
According to the 'zombie experts here it's becaues they lost their inhibitions that allows them to to this.

However, his hunger for flesh and a total lack of inhibitors/fear give him the unfair advantage of a firm grip, not much different than the pit bull. In the case of undeads,
Ultimately though it's a 'suspension of disbelief,' right? Just like the one we employ in ST where the magical engineering solution of the week permits a problem to be solved one time is totally forgotten about 5 episodes later as a work-around to a similar problem.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
frank darabont, horror, robert kirkman, the walking dead, twd, zombies

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.