MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 5 2012, 05:49 PM   #1171
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

I knew that walker was going to follow Carl back to the farm, and once we saw Dale wandering around in the dark, I knew he was going to run into it. I can't say I predicted his death, but once the thing jumped him, I realized that this was not going to be one of those times a character gets saved at the last minute. Between the fact that Andrea still hadn't told him they were sparing Randall, and that he'd actually stated he didn't want to live in their world, it was much more compelling to kill him off from a dramatic standpoint. I half expected him to just give up and let the thing bite him. Although I was really hoping Andrea would tell him about Randall before he died.

I've gotta say, though, that if I lived on that farm, I would never go wandering around in the dark by myself. There's a reason someone has to sit on that RV with a rifle.

Anyway, I liked Dale and I don't want to see him go. Sure he whined a lot, but that's because too many people were doing the cold-blooded thing instead of the human thing. Rick may be the moral compass for the group, but he was getting too off-center. Dale was Rick's moral compass.

Yes, Carl is turning into a little bastard. I guess Rick may have stopped his own slide down the slippery slope when he realized what kind of child he's going to be raising.
Silvercrest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2012, 05:55 PM   #1172
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Disruptor wrote: View Post
One thing that bugged me when I thought about it. So the "swamp zombie" guts a cow...instead of gorging on bovine guts, it waits for Dale to come and seems to ambush him. Walkers aren't sneaky. Maybe Dale was just too distracted.
Agreed. It felt very much like the zombie was setting a trap for him, which is fine if they want to make the zombies smarter but felt very off from their normal behavior.

The kid was better when he was a plot point, trying to give him a character has mostly served to reveal how bad an actor he is and make him less sympathetic and his parents look irresponsible and inept in their duty. They're turning the one kid in the world into a bratty psychopath and I don't see the upside to that except to make the story more grimdark which isn't at all necessary.

Everything felt a little off this episode. Probably my least favorite of the year. Can't quite put my finger on it, just wrong somehow.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2012, 06:10 PM   #1173
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Carl is starting to behave as he has in the comics. In fact, in the beginning I thought he was going to carry out at least one of his future actions. Sadly, didn't happen.
Old March 5 2012, 07:24 PM   #1174
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

wissaboo wrote: View Post
So if the cdc guy told Rick that everyone has the virus and will change after death no matter how they die, why would Rick be considering hanging Randall? and why wouldn't he be in a hurry to shoot Dale?
Well on the second point, you can understand his hesistation to shoot his friend in the head while he's still (barely) alive.

But you're right with the first point, it doesnt make much sense if thats what he was told.

I knew Dale's days were numbered, but i honestly expected it to be Shane that killed him, so the gut ripping action was a bit of a surprise.

While i'm sad to see the character go, i do have to admit that reading The Walking Dead volume 2 certainly impacted the way i saw the character which led to some frankly disturbing images in my head every time he popped up on screen.
Old March 5 2012, 07:30 PM   #1175
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I had read the spoiler that Dale was doomed, but in the end I sad for him to go.

I never thought the issue was Randall worth saving; rather, what would killing a young man in cold blood do to the group?

I thought Dale was much more concerned in what Randall's death meant for them. If they became ruthless and heartless like Randall's group, was the fight to stay alive worth it?

I know that Carl is a kid, but I was ready to reach through the TV and slap him. He should have offed that zombie quick rather than hanging around like he was on the school yard. I knew that his stupid actions were going to spell doom. Lori and Rick need to realize that they have their own little monster in the making.

Also, why is any one of them roaming around by themselves? They are just begging to be picked off one by one. That includes my beloved Daryl going all Rambo on the farm's outskirts, Carl's solo trip of lunancy and Dale wandering off in the dark to become zombie fodder.

Why aren't they trying to scavenge for more ammo, food, etc? It seems like they are just laying around in the sun working on their tans. At least Herschel's lot seems to work. Lori is playing house. Andrea is busy trying to be Wonder Woman. (At least Carol has the excuse of her daughter's recent zombification and death to flake a bit.) Shane is doing God knows what. Dale seems to be on the lookout. We have not really seen T-Dawg in forever. Glenn has Maggie issues.

I just feel like they are just sitting around ripe for the picking from zombies or roving bands of humans.
Old March 5 2012, 07:31 PM   #1176
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
Carl is starting to behave as he has in the comics. In fact, in the beginning I thought he was going to carry out at least one of his future actions. Sadly, didn't happen.
I really did, too. I have a friend who has read the comics and insists on giving me all the details, whether I want them or not.

I was pretty sure that Carl was going to go take care of Randall all on his own.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2012, 07:46 PM   #1177
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

wissaboo wrote: View Post
So if the cdc guy told Rick that everyone has the virus and will change after death no matter how they die, why would Rick be considering hanging Randall? and why wouldn't he be in a hurry to shoot Dale?
Because there is time between when you die and when you become a Zombie. Rick can decide the right/humane way to kill Randall, and then after he is dead stab him in the head. And Rick doesn't want to kill his friend no matter how inevitable he realizes it is.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2012, 09:04 PM   #1178
zephramc
Commodore

Can somebody explain to me how the walker was able to rip Dale's guts out? I would have thought that opening the abdomen up would require some sort of sharpened instrument (to cut the skin, muscle fibers, etc...). Can fingers and fingernails do that?

I realize that if I can suspend disbelief and accept a worldwide zombie apocalypse then I can accept a zombie ripping out someone's guts, but so far TWD has tried to maintain some threads to reality.
zephramc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2012, 09:08 PM   #1179
Borgminister

He should've done more crunches...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2012, 09:10 PM   #1180
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I would assume his nails were pretty rough and jagged, which means some pretty sharp edges here and there. Combined with ZombieStrength(TM) and it isn't too hard to imagine.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5 2012, 09:13 PM   #1181
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

Wow. I normally like my tv morally ambiguous and challenging, but this episode was so relentlessly bleak I found it hard to take. I think I'll have a hard time sympathizing with any of the surviving characters in the coming episodes.
Old March 5 2012, 10:12 PM   #1182
Tom
Rear Admiral

Does anyone thing the the leader of the 30 man gang will turn out to Merle? Great way to bring him back and cause a moral conflict with Daryl if so. I'm going to guess that this gang is whats going to cause the group to leave the farm..just a guess not a spoiler.
Old March 5 2012, 10:26 PM   #1183
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Tom wrote: View Post
Does anyone thing the the leader of the 30 man gang will turn out to Merle? Great way to bring him back and cause a moral conflict with Daryl if so. I'm going to guess that this gang is whats going to cause the group to leave the farm..just a guess not a spoiler.
I didn't think about the Merle angle.. That's a good one... However, I have thought Randall may have to do more with what's on tap for next season with the Governor... My thought is that he's part of the Governor's crew. Merle could fit into that scenario as well..

As for Carl, I think he's developing in line with Carl from the comics and, frankly, as almost any other child would... He's becoming hardened, either genuinely, or superficially (as evidenced by his breakdown at the end when Dale was killed)...
Old March 5 2012, 11:18 PM   #1184
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

I thought the big twist at the end was gonna be Rick deciding last minute not to kill the guy (true) but then Carl coming out of no where and shooting him. What actually happened was truly shocking. Why couldn't they have told him they decided he was right in the end before offing him? Give him that last bit of vindication...
Old March 6 2012, 01:00 AM   #1185
MPH
Rear Admiral

I seriously hate Carl the little shit, I couldn't understand what he was playing at with that zombie and am glad his actions have resulted in the death of Dale, hopefull he might grow up a bit now but doubt it.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote