Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 19 2011, 09:47 PM   #76
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

sojourner wrote: View Post
Interesting. But if that were the case in the show, then

One thing that's always been unclear to me about all zombie flicks - both this one and on the big screen - is how walking dead people could successfully overtake armed living people with guns, flame throwers, drones, and even nuclear weapons.
I still wonder why they haven't ransacked every sporting goods store they can find to stock up on crossbows and teach every adult how to use one competently. Most of the time, they don't dare use guns, and hand to hand combat with zombies strikes me as a very unwise habit, which is bound to eventually result in disaster. So forget using a hatchet, it would probably be a better idea to just run.

They should also go over some likely zombie-fighting scenarios so that everyone knows their role in case of an attack, such as standing in a rough circle and staying aware of the position of everyone else to avoid accidental friendly fire incidents, and not emerging from a sheltered area without first checking to see if you're in someone's crosshairs.

Taking guns away from people and leaving them unarmed is a very bad idea, if only from the viewpoint of morale, and in this scenario, morale is a huge factor. Bad morale can break up the group and lead to fights and suicides. I certainly would not want to run around unarmed. Giving everyone a crossbow and training them on the basics is the only sensible route.

Although everyone should be armed with crossbows for self-defense, they also need guns to use if they find themselves in a no-way-out situation, to commit suicide quickly. Lori and Carol, who are in charge of the children, should also be prepared to kill them quickly if needed, and always have at least two bullets to spare. For Lori and Carol, of all people, to run around unarmed is just irresponsible. They also need to be honest with themselves regarding their ability to kill their own children and if there's any doubt about it, Carl and Sophia should be under the care of another adult who can. Maybe Lori and Carol should simply swap babysitting duties.

This group continues to act in accordance with gender roles that are very much irrelevant at this point. I guess that's realistic - they aren't going to be able to snap out of old habits without some effort - but wow, it's actually pretty scary when you start to dig into it. No wonder Andrea was pissed.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; October 19 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 10:16 PM   #77
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Temis the Bleeding Aorta wrote: View Post
Taking guns away from people and leaving them unarmed is a very bad idea, if only from the viewpoint of morale, and in this scenario, morale is a huge factor. Bad morale can break up the group and lead to fights and suicides. I certainly would not want to run around unarmed. Giving everyone a crossbow and training them on the basics is the only sensible route.
Agreed. Shit here in the South specifically ATL where the story is based your local Wal*Mart store has enough amunition to arm several batallions. And Wal*Mart stores are as prelevant around here as McDonalds.

But part of the story is to make the zombies on equal if not upper footing with the living to make it interesting.

It just seems unlikely to me that our infrastrusture would collapse because the undead were out to get the living with all of the bunkers and protected enviornments that would allow people to sheild themselves from zombies.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 10:22 PM   #78
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I think there must be lots of people still out there, in bunkers and various protected locations. We haven't even begun to scratch the surface of that.

When Lori and Rick were talking about their abortive trip to the Grand Canyon, it occurred to me that that might not be a bad idea. Head for someplace that had low population density, like Arizona or Utah. The desert might be problematic in terms of water, but at least it's fairly warm. Coastal areas would have the best weather and water supply, but too many damn zombies.
Old October 19 2011, 10:43 PM   #79
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Interesting. But if that were the case in the show, then

Your missing the point, if they are following the comic in regards to what I put in spoiler code, then that's not the information that Morgan whispered to him.
Old October 19 2011, 11:22 PM   #80
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Morgan is the guy from the premiere played by Lennie James. I can't recall if he whispered anything to Rick, but I was talking about what the CDC scientist whispered to Rick. His name was Jenner.

Morgan came into the picture because Rick was leaving a message for him (which he may or may not ever hear). Rick was almost going to tell Morgan what Jenner whispered, and then decided not to. That whole scene struck me as significant, and provides a clue about what Jenner whispered: something that Rick might think Morgan should know, and then change his mind about. Why would he do that, unless it's something startling and important, but also unbelievable?

And they're obviously not hewing to the comics, since Shane is still alive. They might take some stuff from it, but and leave other stuff out. So the comics are irrelevant to making predictions about what is or isn't going to happen in the series.

And my theory is different than what you put in spoiler code anyway, so I don't see how it's even relevant to this discussion.
Old October 20 2011, 12:18 AM   #81
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post
One thing that's always been unclear to me about all zombie flicks - both this one and on the big screen - is how walking dead people could successfully overtake armed living people with guns, flame throwers, drones, and even nuclear weapons.
There was quite a bit of discussion on this in the season one thread.

I still wonder why they haven't ransacked every sporting goods store they can find to stock up on crossbows and teach every adult how to use one competently.
In the second episode of season one, Glenn said that it was the first time he had taken a group with him into Atlanta; his other excursions had been solo. Presumably he focused on food and similar items, and of course that first time with a group got interrupted by the need to rescue Rick. After that, they only went back into the city twice - to retrieve Rick's guns and Merle, and to get to the CDC. After the CDC, they headed straight out of the city because the implosion would've brought walkers swarming.

So the comics are irrelevant to making predictions about what is or isn't going to happen in the series.
I wouldn't say the comics are irrelevant. The producers have been very clear that the comics are going to be the roadmap by which the series proceeds, but, yes, of course they are going to detour to differing degrees at various points. Shane may still be alive, but I expect they'll still hit most of the same "big" points; we are, after all, headed straight in the next episode for a location that was important in the comics. Plus Robert Kirkman is an EP and writer, so it stands to reason that there will continue to be significant overlap between the comics and this series.

In any event, I don't think what sojourner posted is what Jenner told Rick; I think it's the other issue that has also previously been mentioned in spoiler code. That one results in some significant storytelling, so I'd be surprised if the series doesn't go down that road.

Last edited by PsychoPere; October 20 2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Fixed a spelling error.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 12:41 AM   #82
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Morgan is the guy from the premiere played by Lennie James. I can't recall if he whispered anything to Rick, but I was talking about what the CDC scientist whispered to Rick. His name was Jenner.

Morgan came into the picture because Rick was leaving a message for him (which he may or may not ever hear). Rick was almost going to tell Morgan what Jenner whispered, and then decided not to. That whole scene struck me as significant, and provides a clue about what Jenner whispered: something that Rick might think Morgan should know, and then change his mind about. Why would he do that, unless it's something startling and important, but also unbelievable?

And they're obviously not hewing to the comics, since Shane is still alive. They might take some stuff from it, but and leave other stuff out. So the comics are irrelevant to making predictions about what is or isn't going to happen in the series.

And my theory is different than what you put in spoiler code anyway, so I don't see how it's even relevant to this discussion.
Ah, right, I meant Jenner. As for how relevant the comics are, you do know the writer of the comics is an executive producer and also on the writing staff for the show?

As for what I put in spoiler code, it's in direct response to what you said in post #72:
The first scene, with Rick leaving a message for Morgan, struck me as odd in context with the theory that the scientist told him Lori was pregnant. Why would Rick hesitate to tell Morgan about that?

I think the news was something more startling, and something that could impact Morgan - and everyone - directly. I'm sticking with my zany theory that the scientist told Rick that he's infected with the zombie virus, which might be something of extreme importance (is Rick immune? if some people are naturally immune, that's huge news!) but is also too fantastical to believe. He'd want to tell Morgan something like that, but then decide, nah, why get the guy's hopes up, it must be bullshit or a mistake.
How can you not see it's relevance in the discussion? It refers to a fact from the comic book that the show is based on which pertains to the line of discussion in the 2 posts directly preceding it. You can't get much more relevant in this thread.
Old October 20 2011, 01:02 AM   #83
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Thanks, sojourner. The contents of your spoiler was actually my next guess; I haven't read the comic, but that spoiler makes sense.
Old October 20 2011, 01:33 AM   #84
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

CarbonCopy wrote: View Post
Thanks, sojourner. The contents of your spoiler was actually my next guess; I haven't read the comic, but that spoiler makes sense.
Old October 20 2011, 01:39 AM   #85
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Old October 20 2011, 01:44 AM   #86
sidious618
Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Old October 20 2011, 03:35 AM   #87
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the scene with Carl retrieving the zombie killing "kit" is all messed up. Why is that dead body in the truck? the door was closed, did whatever zombie attacked it close the doors? If bitten, why did it not reanimate? If not bitten, why was it dead in the truck? The same could be asked for almost every body found in a closed space.

As for my earlier spoiler post, that revelation takes place much later in the comics, so there may be a time issue there.
Old October 22 2011, 06:29 AM   #88
Immolatus
Captain

Yeah, the scene with Carl retrieving the zombie killing "kit" is all messed up. Why is that dead body in the truck? the door was closed, did whatever zombie attacked it close the doors? If bitten, why did it not reanimate? If not bitten, why was it dead in the truck? The same could be asked for almost every body found in a closed space.

As for my earlier spoiler post, that revelation takes place much later in the comics, so there may be a time issue there.
I think maybe they don't comeback when they die, that might explain the dead bodies in the cars. ever been stuck in traffic on a hot summer afternoon in the south with no ac? now imagine that but can't open windows and swarms of the undead around. ur gonna die in a few days if not sooner.
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 10:24 PM   #89
McCoy
Commodore

Another thing that Jenner could have whispered, since he tested everyone, is that not only is Lori pregnant but that Shane's the father.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2011, 10:49 PM   #90
sidious618
Admiral

McCoy wrote: View Post
Another thing that Jenner could have whispered, since he tested everyone, is that not only is Lori pregnant but that Shane's the father.
I don't think so because why would Rick almost tell Morgan that and then cut off. It seemed to me to be something that could possibly affect Morgan.