USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 13 2012, 09:32 PM   #856
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Anybody have a link to the previews for next week? I couldn't stomach slogging through that comic book show just to see it...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 10:23 PM   #857
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The ratings sure don't reflect all the bellyaching about this season's direction. More records fall to the zombie apocalypse.

Airing against the second most watched Grammy Awards in history, AMC’s mid-season premiere of The Walking Dead at 9 PM posted rating records of its own. The zombie drama hit series highs in all categories with remarkable 8.1 million total viewers, 5.4 million adults 18-49 and 4.4 million adults 25-54.
Which is good. I don't get the bellyaching either.

Hey AMC, are you sorry you treated Frank Darabont like shit yet?
Old February 13 2012, 10:43 PM   #858
Xerxus
Lieutenant Commander

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The ratings sure don't reflect all the bellyaching about this season's direction. More records fall to the zombie apocalypse.

Airing against the second most watched Grammy Awards in history, AMC’s mid-season premiere of The Walking Dead at 9 PM posted rating records of its own. The zombie drama hit series highs in all categories with remarkable 8.1 million total viewers, 5.4 million adults 18-49 and 4.4 million adults 25-54.
Which is good. I don't get the bellyaching either.

Hey AMC, are you sorry you treated Frank Darabont like shit yet?
Apparently The Walking Dead didn't need the extra budget to deliver a compelling product, so I doubt they'd feel sorry.
Xerxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 10:49 PM   #859
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I guess I'm old-fashioned enough to expect the suits to treat the people who make money for them decently.

Darabont should be allowed to spend a healthy chunk of the money he makes, and AMC's shows should get budgets commensurate with their ratings, not commensurate with the whims of the suits. Let the viewers decide who gets what! (This also incentivizes other showrunners to maximize their ratings - isn't that the name of the game?)

I want this show to have a large enough budget to have zombie dinosaurs someday. Now there's something we haven't seen....
Old February 13 2012, 10:56 PM   #860
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Ok.. so great episode... Good action and the character development continues.. A couple of thoughts...

1. A lot of people remark about how they should just find an adjacent farm and settle in.. But while there's been noise from some in the group about staying on, despite Herschel's resistance, there is still an overwhelming sense to find the last remnants of civilization... The group wants to stay, but they want to move on as well... Thus the references to Ft. Benning and points west (Nebraska)...

2. Even though the show has gone a year and a half for us, for the characters, it's still just a couple of months since Rick's return after all hell broke loose and society fell apart... So while we've had time to adjust and comment on why characters are reacting (or not reacting) in certain ways, I think we forget that these folks are still trying to figure out which way is up (or down)...
Old February 13 2012, 11:07 PM   #861
Ryan
Commodore

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
It's not that I can't forgive the character for sleeping with someone other than her husband when she thought he was dead....it's just that she doesn't seem to do anything constructive at all.
Lori also loves to second guess every person who does try to do something constructive. I know a lot of people are blaming Sarah Callies but there's just not a lot that's redeemable about the character in the first place. Daryl was absolutely right to tell her off.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 12:29 AM   #862
sojourner
Admiral

Lori has quickly become the naggy woman of the group. Doesn't do anything but complain about everyone else.

The previews for next week seem to show we will be seeing more of the group that was with the boys from Puttsburg.
Old February 14 2012, 12:32 AM   #863
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

lots of responses to previous posts but I won't bother quoting since there are multiple mentions of similar topics

next weeks preview is the bar group pinned down by the rest of the philly group

I got the first season for christmas and watched the whole thing plus the first half of this season in a couple days. People have pointed out how quickly after discovering sophia the rest of the episode happens, I want to point out how quickly everything is happening. I tracked every day, and the end of this episode was evening on the 12 day since Rick woke from his coma. We pretty much have to assume they are all suffering from shock and ptsd at this point.

also, it was suggested the campers find a farm of their own, the daughter said they were all burned out and overrun with walkers

As for Carl being "hard" I think he is just what all children are. Pragmatic and seeing things in black and white. His friend is gone and now there is the scary monster in her place. They kill the scary monsters on sight so he would kill her. It's grownups who romaticize these things, deny them, and hope things aren't what they look like.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 04:39 AM   #864
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Temis admitted she would act like Shane if she were in the current situation.
That's still true. Also, I don't see why Carl's attitude is a symptom of coldness or even anything to particularly worry about. Maybe it's worrysome that he isn't showing more emotion vis a vis Sophia, but I see it simply as him being an unusually mature and matter of fact 12 year old who is taking his cues from his father. All he said is, "I'd have done what Dad did in that situation." Is that somehow horrific? I'd say that kid has a solid chance of making it to 13, good for him.

I've also realized what it is that's so fascinating about zombie stories, especially ones that focus on a small group roaming around and trying to survive. The human species has been around for what, 200,000 years? In almost all of that time, our ancestors lived in small groups, surviving as best they could while constantly surrounded by dangerous predators. Every so often, the predators would pick someone off or wipe out the whole tribe.

What this group is going through is nothing worse, really, than what humanity has evolved to endure, and has been our lifestyle for the vast majority of our existence. Okay, it's a bit more demoralizing to think that your friends or family might turn into a lion one day and try to eat you, but the kind of stress these people are facing is normal for our species, far more normal than the lives we lead nowadays.

If we didn't have a lot of Shanes and Carls in humanity's family tree, we wouldn't be alive today to be discussing these things. That kind of cold adaptation to survival is essential to the tribe's survival, and is probably built into our species at an instinctual level. We haven't had time to evolve beyond the people who spent every day of their miserable, short lives worrying about what was rustling in the bushes.

That said, I didn't buy Rick's reasons for sticking around the farm. There's no place else!....There's no place they could clean up. No other farms with wells? Generators they could find/loot? Bullcrap.
I agree, there must be any number of farms around Herschell's place. If the zombies haven't overrun his farm, then there must be others they haven't overrun, either. Just hit a sporting goods store for more crossbows just in case, and go find the least zombified farm.

Start branching out, but keep in touch with Herschell's people. When you run across other survivors, suss them out to make sure they aren't total morons and then induct them into the group - get them crossbows and they can clear out another farm. (If they are total morons, well, Rick showed us how to handle that situation.)

If you can take over adjacent farms, that's the best - you can create a larger defensible space with plans for withdrawing to some ultra-secure central area in case of zombie attack. It drives me a little nuts that nobody is willing to just sit down and talk about their strategy for survival going forward. Now that Herschell has finally gotten his head out of his ass, maybe some progress could be made on that front.

Stop expecting to be saved by going to Nebraska or whatever. They're in an area with good farmland, water, and reasonably clement weather - they aren't going to find a better location for survival. Trying to get away to someplace that's unzombified isn't going to work. Anyplace with a sparse population is also going to have rough terrain and bad weather. I wouldn't want to try to survive a Nebraska winter without an energy grid.
Temis, I love you, Gay marry me, and we'll find you a Straight geek guy to Straight marry. Expanding to the surrounding farms has been one of my quibbles with the charcters, why wouldn't they? And I agree about Carl. In a civilized environment, I would be horrified by Carl's maturity, but in this environment, you gotta encourage it, so your son will stay alive.

Darryl was smart to decline and Lorie's an idiot to have chased after them, and then to have rolled the car on top of it, can't you at least trust your husband to do one thing right?

Rick definitely surprised me, that he had it on the ball and did what needed to be done, and was ready for it from the first drink poured.

Oh, and Herschel has a long way to go as a character, but, the actor did an incredible job of performing in this episode.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 04:41 AM   #865
Disruptor
Commodore

Obviously for show reasons, them settling down permenantly isn't going to happen anymore than NuBSG was gonna stay on New Caprica.

It's just in a real sense, the more you move around the post zombie apocalypse world the more trouble you find. So we for entertainment want them to move on, but most people would hunker down until they had to move on.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 06:09 AM   #866
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

If anything thinks Rick wouldn't be convicted of murder....then they don't live in Oklahoma City like I do. A pharmacist here who shot and killed a little rat bastard teenager who robbed his store and pointed a gun at his customers all the while threatening to kill them was convicted of murder and is serving time. The threatened customers testified on his behalf, yet still he was convicted. Courts and juries are funny things. Stories changed. All of a sudden the kid "wasn't so threatening," at least according to him. People weren't happy with the verdict to say the least.

Anyway--yeah, Lori is a big time nag about other people's decisions. Rick was wrong to go into town and leave her and Carl, but she can leave Carl to go after Rick because little blond whatshername was sick. What was Hershel going to do? She had no wounds. She doesn't need surgery. She doesn't have feline distemper. Hershel's a vet. What's he really going to do?

Lori doesn't know her way around town. What was she planning to do? Drag Hershel back physically? She literally does nothing to contribute other than watch Carl, who's not a toddler or elementary school age anymore. She didn't even help with the laundry when the landies were bitching about having to do it in season one. She wasn't there helping them. She didn't fish for dinner like Andrea and Amy. She doesn't do anything. Andrea may have made mistakes along the way but she tries. Carol tries. She at least helps cook and clean. What does Lori do? I agree with whomever it was upthread who opined that Laurie Holden would have made a better Lori. At least I can buy Rick and Shane fighting over her. There's some appeal, even though Andrea's bitter about things. Plus, she isn't a human skeleton. The big joke on the other board is that Lori is safe from the zombies because there's no meat on her bones. Literally. Daryl was spot on with his Olive Oyl critique.

Aren't the other farms supposedly crawling with walkers? Wouldn't they have contaminated the wells and water supplies? Perhaps that's the problem.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 09:59 AM   #867
Nociod
Fleet Captain

I agree that Lori is annoying.

I don't get why she would try to drive into town and get Rick, Glenn and Hershel. Rick and Glenn are the ones with experience going into town, what is she going to do?

But then it came to me. She wasn't going to the bar. She's going to that medical place to check if Otis's body has a bullet in it. She's going to confirm Dale's theory! (this is just my speculation)
Nociod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 10:19 AM   #868
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

I really don't understand what the writers were doing by having Lori go off like that. It made no sense whatsoever. She's probably going to have a miscarriage due to the accident. If that's so then what a contrived/lame way to get rid of the baby.
Old February 14 2012, 11:20 AM   #869
Caliburn24
Commodore

Without knowing any spoilers, watching any previews or having read the comics. I assume that Lori is going to be taken hostage by the others of the group that Rick ran into, and there'll be various conflicts between the two groups as he tries to get her back.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 04:20 PM   #870
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Nociod wrote: View Post
I agree that Lori is annoying.

I don't get why she would try to drive into town and get Rick, Glenn and Hershel. Rick and Glenn are the ones with experience going into town, what is she going to do?

But then it came to me. She wasn't going to the bar. She's going to that medical place to check if Otis's body has a bullet in it. She's going to confirm Dale's theory! (this is just my speculation)

ooh that's interesting. Makes no sense for her to have gone after Hershel. Does she think they are all gonna stop for icecream or something on the way back instead of getting back as soon as possible?

we likely will never know though since she barely made it off the farm.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote